Gas Prices

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did a little analysis on gas prices. Very interesting.

I really love NY. 52 cents per gallon taxes to feed this bloated state.

Cost of 1 barl. Oil $55 1 Brl = 42 gal.
Retail Cost of 1 gallon gas $2.32

Gas cost of oil $1.31
Refining costs $0.13 (10% cost of oil)
Distribution $0.13 (10
Taxes
- Federal $0.18
- State/Local (New York) $0.51
Service Station Markup $0.05

Time for a National Review of Gas Taxes
by Laurence M. Vance
http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance13.html

How Gas Prices Work
by Kevin Bonsor
http://people.howstuffworks.com/gas-price2.htm

A PRIMER ON GASOLINE PRICES
http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure/oil_gas/primer/primer.htm

Who's at fault for gas prices? Partly, it's us
http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/high_gas_prices.html

Real Time info on local gas prices
http://gasbuddy.com

P

PeachMonkey

Although libertarians often point to gasoline taxes as another example of "big bad government"'s hand in our pockets, and then lash out (as do the authors of some of the articles Kaith linked to) at those nasty liberals who really impose the gas taxes because they're jealous of the opulent cars that "real Americans" can afford to drive, I don't often hear cogent proposals for where exactly to cut government so these taxes aren't needed, or how to make up for the programs that are cut.

On the other hand, Kaith, you tend not to go for the knee-jerk reaction, and I have a lot of respect for your positions. So, where would you cut NY's programs that are funded by the gas tax in order to reduce the need for them? And how would you make up for the loss in services?

M

Mark Weiser

In 1996 we used 14.1 million gallons of oil a day 57% is used for gasoline this means 8,037,000 gallons of gas per day even with a profit of only 75 cents per gallon of gas in 1996

This is over 6 million dollars a day!!!! back in 1996 I am in the wrong line of work LOL!!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
On the other hand, Kaith, you tend not to go for the knee-jerk reaction, and I have a lot of respect for your positions. So, where would you cut NY's programs that are funded by the gas tax in order to reduce the need for them? And how would you make up for the loss in services?

Thank you. :)

I honestly don't see a need to cut programs, but more efficiently use the money available. I know for a fact that certain groups of government employees don't work full days. (I've been in the local parks department buildings while the employees sat around, watched tv and read adult magazines for hours. Garbage collectors have set routes, and quite when done. Some days, thats only 4-5 hrs later.) I'd want to redo things so we get our moneys worth out of them.

Additionally, we hear of all these do-nothing patronage jobs. I believe that our government is in serious need of a major restructuring, which requires all positions to be fully justified and verified. I estimate that we could cut about 10% of the government funded do-nothings from the payroll, allowing that money to be funneled into fire/police/education/etc where it is more benifitial than giving handouts to a bunch of bums.

Modernization of government infostructure will also reap long term benifits. Why is so much paper still in use? We can now go completely digital. No more 'in triplicate, to be filed later' crap. Display the info on a screen, use the stylus to sign it electronically. The agencies copy is stored as data, only 1 copy is printed for the consumer. Give them the option to email it home and save the paper. It's good for the enviroment, good for the budget.

Now, some will whine "You mean youre gonna fire all those people?"
YES!!!!!!!
Let them get real jobs, and do real work, rather than sit around and get paid to do nothing just because they know someone.

I also believe that government officials pay and benefits should be the average of what their constituants make. I don't have a company car, full free health care, and free hair cuts. Why should the mayor, or county exec?
Let them buy their own gas, and pay their own way. If they can't get by on $80,000, how the hell do they expect me to do so on $14,000?

Every time they have a financial shortage they cry.
The city crys to the country "please, another 1% sales tax!"
The county crys to the state "please, share the lotto profits!"
The state crys to the feds "please, more money!"

Well, considering an average $100 electric bill, $200 gas bill, $50-75 water/garbage/utility fees, $75 phone bill, and $600 rent each month, you need $12,000 just to break even. We haven't even added in car expences (Rising gas prices, insane inssuance rates), food (the cost of which is going up due to the gouging at the pump), as well as other personal items (soap anyone?), and the cost of raising kids, well.....we're broke.

There is no more money to be had. They -must- learn to be frugal, and start running government like business. That means good fiscal policys, removing dead wood and non-performers, as well as providing good solid customer support.

I want less taxes. I believe we can keep or even halve what we pay in taxes today and increase and improve the quality of our government services. We just have to regain control of these crooks that everytime they find the checking account empty tack on a new user fee or raise a tax.

Now, back to the Gas issue.
The price of a barrel of oil is a big part of things, but it is only part. Dropping the cost of oil to $30/gallon would only lower the cost to about $1.60/gallon. Certainly better than $2.50, but still far removed from the 85 cents I remember paying a few years ago.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about NOT blaming "liberals"? Gasoline was about $1.25/gallon the last time "liberals" were in the White House--and that was considered high. It's now $2.10/gallon.

P

PeachMonkey

I'm not sure what any politician would be able to do to improve gas prices.

We are briskly reaching the world's peak oil output (some say we have already passed it) at a time when the demand for oil is increasing, with no end in sight. Between the American desire for gas-guzzlers and the boom in car ownership among the the Asian middle-class, everyone wants to drive.

We saw recently that Shell, one of the world's great oil companies, lied about their oil reserves:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0419-08.htm

Instability with many oil producing nations, such as Nigeria, Iraq, and Venezuela has reduced their ability to produce, despite oil companies' best efforts (often including massive violations of human rights) to the contrary. Saudi Arabia may even be at peak.

The price of crude oil is definitely climbing; some analysts have predicted that demand will slack at the US$ 60/barrel mark, bringing prices back down a bit.
An energy advisor to the Bush Administration, Matthew Simmons, has suggested that oil will have to reach US$182/barrel before this happens (and, supposedly, predicts that this will happen in the next year).

Even such oil reserves as ANWR are like a drop in the bucket in the face of these figures.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
all I can is....

being an american about to return to the UK;
I get to back to paying somewhere around $2 a LITER.

and thats all I have to say about that.
(sorry,had F.Gump in the head)

Latest Discussions