Garn Sau vs kick ,misconceptions

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah your friend messed up there. Their money is pretty much worthless. I have been to angkor wat, it is huge and the energy there is amazing. We actually went there for training. I have been a few times but the last time I was supposed to go my trip was cancelled. I plan to go back in a few years because I want to bring my kids but I want them to be old enough to remember it. Parts are very beautiful but they are very poor.

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That certainly is a Double Garn Sau.

Is what you are talking about similar to this picture here mate.

sifu-jim-fung-teaches-class-l.jpg

Yes... That's excactly what I'm talking about... How did you find that :)
In that picture, is the upper hand still a garn-sau?

EDIT:

I'd probably turn a little more, to allow the bongsau to do what it's best at: redirecting the force... :)

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Niiiiice post Mook...

I actually trained the "scissors-gan/-garn" technique against roundhouse kicks just the other day... and I 've "golfballs" on my forearms :)

Could you explain the difference bewteen using scissor garn-sau and bong-sau / garn-sau (when the right arm is lower vs his right kick, for example)... I'd appriciate your thoughts on why, when and how :)

This is only my take, the difference is in the gap/positioning of the two forearms and the ways they are used to intercept, the scissors is liken the crossing butterfly knives initial "capturing" of the long pole before sliding forward and cutting.

Your upper 'scissor' forearm added support to the lower to handle the kicking force, those big goose eggs on your arms are from direct impact, pivoting garn sao (done correctly) minimize the impact angle. What Mr Mook referring to is the way you could intercept the kick without taking on full power of the kick, some call it the cutting angle ... receives what comes, WC don't block.

Both variation of garn sao can be use, just remember it's not an one-stop technique, it's to get you into the position to setup counter attack. Depending on which arm or body position you use, example - the pivoting high right/low left garn sao vs right round house, the lower garn sao can turn into huen sao to capturing the kicking leg (can also be use to uprooting the attacker), while the upper garn turn into an lan sao for an cut/chop to the neck/face/head, or an back fist ... and don't forget to add a low leg kick or stomp of your own.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd probably turn a little more, to allow the bongsau to do what it's best at: redirecting the force... :)

That would be an pivoting garn sao technique ... an different application to what is demo.

Good observation my friend ... now let the learning process continues.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes... That's excactly what I'm talking about... How did you find that :)
In that picture, is the upper hand still a garn-sau?

EDIT:

That is my late Sifu , and that arm formation is what we call Seung Bong or Double Bong Sau.
It is not a Garn Sau , but is quite capable of redirecting heavy force as the impact is spread over both the forearms at once whereas with a Garn Sau if the incoming kick is directed at the head the upper Garn Sau will bear the brunt of the impact.

Both moves have their plusses and minuses , Garn Sau protects a larger area , whilst Seung Bong is more structurally sound in my opinion , but the downside is the area it covers is smaller , its used when we have a pretty good idea of where the incoming kick is directed to.
The upper arm is in what we call Dai Sau , probably best described as halfway between a Tan Sau and a Bong Sau.

I believe trying to do a Garn Sau with the wrong arm would probably result in a broken arm , I would have to give it a try , but I think it would drastically change the mechanics of how the deflection works and would see you absorbing a lot of force into your arm and shoulder.

Wtx is spot on about the Seung Bong , it is seen in the knife form , as well as a few other places too.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went to Angkor Wat when I was in Cambodia when I was about 11. I remember it quite well, went to a lot of ruins there. I may be going back soon, sounds like training would be worthwhile out there. Cheers!

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went to Angkor Wat when I was in Cambodia when I was about 11. I remember it quite well, went to a lot of ruins there. I may be going back soon, sounds like training would be worthwhile out there. Cheers!

If your ever over in south east asia mate, you'd be welcome to come down to the south of Thailand for some training with me.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cwk are you teaching wc in thailand? And if so how is that going for you. I had a friend tell me that due to their great love for muay thai that most foreign arts have a hard time there.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your ever over in south east asia mate, you'd be welcome to come down to the south of Thailand for some training with me.

Hey cwk make sure you charge him a crap load for a lesson , because all Farang's are rich, especially those American Farang's :boing1:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cwk are you teaching wc in thailand? And if so how is that going for you. I had a friend tell me that due to their great love for muay thai that most foreign arts have a hard time there.

It's not my profession but I teach a couple of small groups in my spare time. Actually foreign arts do quite well here, especially taekwondo. Usually it's the wealthier Thais (a lot of them of Chinese origin) that study foreign arts and the poorer people tend to do Muay Thai. Obviously this is a blanket statement and only backed up from what I've observed personally so don't take it as gospel.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey cwk make sure you charge him a crap load for a lesson , because all Farang's are rich, especially those American Farang's :boing1:

LOL.
When I first met my missus, one of her neighbours asked her if I was rich. When she told that I wasn't, her neighbours reply was "Yes he is. They all are. he's just pretending not to be to test you". LMFAO! It's become a little joke between us now. Whenever there's a ferrari or a mansion on t.v my missus asks me when I'm going to stop pretending and buy one.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's cool man. And it is usually but not always the poorer people that fight so they can make a better life for their families.
And since your the bill gates of thailand how about a ferrari or two shipped to your good buddies here on the forums. Lol.
That's great I need to move there so people think I'm rich.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's cool man. And it is usually but not always the poorer people that fight so they can make a better life for their families.
And since your the bill gates of thailand how about a ferrari or two shipped to your good buddies here on the forums. Lol.
That's great I need to move there so people think I'm rich.

A Ferrari would be nice, but I'm a simple man, paying off my mortgage would suit me just fine.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My house and vehicle are paid off already so I'm aiming high.

Latest Discussions