Gaming A Positive Force?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love God Of War 3, I'd like to try Eve online and World of Warcraft, but I'd probably quit my job!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I played Wow. My wife loved it because it had fishing...yes fising. My eyes may start to bleed if I sit in front of another wow screen ever again :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL

fishing is boring...

but I did a lot of it...

Especially at 4 AM, after I got unsettling news and couldn't go back to sleep...

But I still don't have the title 'Salty' just now got 'Old Crafty' and a special size fish....

Life is sometimes not fair, even ingame...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly a FPS player. Doom2, Half life, Dukenukem 3d, quake2, Unreal.
I had high hopes for Doom3 but it sucks balls. The game is way too dark, and misses the 'shooting up hordes of demons' fun which made doom2 such a hit.

I don't like multiplayer at all. I only play when I have the time and feel like it; not when others want to play. And I like a bit of story line, or at least a logical progression in the games. Also, I have a life, and a women I'l like to stay married to. That is why I stay away from games like WoW. I know it would suck me in. The real life effects would be too big.

Speaking of which:
[yt]EuUBkuN2lwQ[/yt]

Btw, These days I only play the WII every now and again with my brother. We used to have nintendo thumb way back when I bought my first 8 bit NES. We both played so much...
We like playing super mario for the WII because you can play it simulataneously. And we have played the games so much, so often, that we can play cooperatively without having to talk about what we expect the other to do.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Completely agree about Doom 3. I had huge hopes for that one and it was an equally huge disappointment.

Also agree about long-term multi-player team-mates. Me and my friend Andy have been LAN gaming for nearly twenty years now (lord, why did the time go?) and we have that telepathy that you get from so much practise. We even fell into our 'roles' when we shifted to playing LOTRO after Delta Force, AVP and Counterstrike {me at range, him up close}.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Completely agree about Doom 3. I had huge hopes for that one and it was an equally huge disappointment.

Now, I'm an old hand at the original 3 episodes of Doom and Doom 2. I like blasting demon hoards as much as the next guy. However, I liked Doom 3. I enjoyed the building of atmosphere and dread, and the incorporation of story. The feelings of hopelessness, and how you would find the final words of the now dead. I thought it was a cool game. Similar to System Shock in that respect, but hey, we aren't all original.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also agree about long-term multi-player team-mates. Me and my friend Andy have been LAN gaming for nearly twenty years now (lord, why did the time go?) and we have that telepathy that you get from so much practise. We even fell into our 'roles' when we shifted to playing LOTRO after Delta Force, AVP and Counterstrike {me at range, him up close}.

LOL, I think the 'roles' are basic personality trades...

I mean, I have the option of playing ranged and melee, I am much more comfortable in the background :)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is defintitely the case that different skill sets apply; not sure whether that's personality driven or not.

Andy has that quick twitch reaction-to-target that you need for clearing a room whereas I can stick a round through a pillbox slot from 1000 yards, allowing for drop and windage to do so. I think I've mentioned before that in our group LAN's I was banned from using anything with a scope :D. Whilst Andy, we reckon, needs a bayonet on the front of his mini-gun to make him truly happy :lol:.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, "NO SCOPE FOR YOU!!"

(you might like Team Fortress)

I use my WoW time as somewhat social studies group:

There are relatively many girls on, though I think the ration does not surpass 30%.

However, most females tend to be healers. Very few slip into the role of melee (or tank especially) and one girl in particular made me giggle, she was very much the guy type of player, using a heavy armored melee class as favorite character.

I don't really have the mind set for close up combat, I prefer the ranged.
When I am not too lazy, I grab one of my healers...but that is draining, because you have to constantly pay attention.(after a round healing I could not tell you where we were...)

And then of course there are the sneaky guys...rogues...stealth and ambush...

As tank - the one keeping all the attention on them, I think you have to have the 'come bring it' mentality...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love playing the magical heavy. "If you can't do it with a sword, do it with a fireball. If you can't do it with a fireball, it isn't worth doing."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love playing the magical heavy. "If you can't do it with a sword, do it with a fireball. If you can't do it with a fireball, it isn't worth doing."

LOL, nothing like a massive fireball right in the kisser!

(well, or a frost ball)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, I'm an old hand at the original 3 episodes of Doom and Doom 2. I like blasting demon hoards as much as the next guy. However, I liked Doom 3. I enjoyed the building of atmosphere and dread, and the incorporation of story. The feelings of hopelessness, and how you would find the final words of the now dead. I thought it was a cool game.

Yeah that part of the game was done right. The problem is that you never get to a part where you're going through a horde of demons with a minigun or shotgun. They forgot to add that part of the fun.

That said, Duke Nukem forever might actually be released now. I wonder if my pc will run it...
And perhaps Doom4 will be a better game.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that part of the game was done right. The problem is that you never get to a part where you're going through a horde of demons with a minigun or shotgun. They forgot to add that part of the fun.

That said, Duke Nukem forever might actually be released now. I wonder if my pc will run it...
And perhaps Doom4 will be a better game.

Perfect excuse to upgrade! ;)

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
[yt]A88YiZdXugA[/yt]

Here's one of gamings crowning achievements thus far. Making, science and critical thinking fun. Watching my 6 year old daughter solve some of the puzzles in the game, is a beautiful thing to watch.

Latest Discussions