Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my :(.

I've been digging around on the Net, looking out for videos and news of some of these bands that I've mentioned above. Enjoying myself having a dip back into the 70's and 80's that I lived through, seeing the bands I used to listen to, so to speak.

Then I found this:

http://www.girlschool.co.uk/mainindex.htm

"So what?", you ask, as an old rock band having an anniversary album out is not such a rare thing these days. Well, I first noted who are special guest artists on it ... that gives you an idea of how these lasses were regarded amongst their peers.

Then I realised why there were these guitar legends on it ... Kelly Johnson is dead :(. The woman who lead the way for it to be okay and cool for girls to play rock guitar and be judged by how they could play (rather than how pretty they were) was taken by cancer three years ago.

I am surprised myself by how sad that makes me and I feel bad that I didn't know before now.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poignantly, I came across this Rock Goddess clip. It has Kelly filling in on bass for them:

[yt]Qv4jiw5XXNg[/yt]

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and just for Omar ... guess who toured with Benedictum ... ? I was surprised too. The girls are still going and still kicking butt and taking names it seems :tup:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]XPV7AUU1b8c[/yt]

I never thought I'd hear myself say this ... but Lord how I miss the '80's sometimes! Big hair and lasses who knew how to dress and move to look sexy as all heck without appearing as if they should be earning their living on street corners. That rock 'n' roll glam gypsy look is a winner every time - thank you Stevie Nicks :D.

:sigh:

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A bit more of the wonderful Lee Aaron:

Fh1lC_KaIPI

A shame it cuts off part way through Line of Fire :(.

A bit poignant for me this one as this is from an old music show that used to air over here in Britain. The format was that there would be several bands on and they'd do a few songs each. This episode, if my memory is not like a Swiss cheese, they had Venom on followed by Lee Aaron.

My greatest friend, David (biker gods rest his soul) was watching for Venom whereas I, as the cultured one {:lol:} was watching for Lee. It's a good job we taped it as we spent most of the time ripping the wet out of each other for our lack of musical taste ROFL.

Why it is a bit emotional for me is that Dave was killed not long after, so whenever I see almost any Lee Aaron vid I tend to get a bit damp around the eyes with memory :eek:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A bit better quality video of later period Lee Aaron, tho' the sound is still a bit 'boomy':
http://Q9y2CXHHiP8
[yt]Q9y2CXHHiP8[/yt]

And one of my favourites (amongst many of hers I do confess :)):

[yt]0DXpve73r50[/yt]

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]eNGzltK_tlc[/yt]

[yt]njPWBTIv9qw[/yt]

[yt]gCPjgZpuQzE[/yt]

[yt]msRy4vcSX4k[/yt]

[yt]VwbtbfAnI80[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those were not at all bad, Bob :tup:. Epica in particular I enjoyed.

The only criticism I can have of many of these new wave of Symphonic Metal bands is that whilst their singers can indeed sing and hold a note, their go too much for the alto soprano and lose that necessary lower register 'punch' to the vocal line.

Combine that with the unrelenting double-bass-kick that everyone since Metallica seem to favour and you have music with 'top' and 'bottom' but no 'middle'. Sounds a little odd sometimes.

Why my friend Gemma keeps being mentioned by me when I speak of such things is that she has operatic range, from low to high and horse-power to burn. Marvellous! One of my favourite stories about her is that one summers evening I was out pottering in the garden when, for a moment, I thought I was going barmy as I could hear her singing. After a moment, I decided that someone near at hand must be playing a No Redemption CD too loud. But then I re-thought as it sounded weird - no music, just Gemma :confused:.

Later I found out that no, that was the real thing ... from six miles away!!! They were performing at a little local festival it seems and Gemma's voice carried whilst the music didn't :lol:.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More from the delightfully powerful Cheetah:

[yt]YNbBcWaWAHk[/yt]

Good to know that that bluesy vocal talent wasn't left fallow all these years; Chrissie, it seems did an awful lot of work with Rick Wakeman (11 albums!).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you bring Vixen, you gotta mention Heart!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions