g.i.joe rise of cobra : snake eyes vs storm shadow fight sequence is sick !

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
apparentlly storm shadow dies , man i hate it when the bad guys get tooken out specially when there ninjas :jediduel:

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have yet to see the movie. One coworker of mine said the movie was just ok, and another coworker said the movie was really good.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Associate of mine was approached by Hasbro to do some PR work for the film, he runs one of the largest GI Joe fan sites. Turned them down over concerns the movie would suck.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
Associate of mine was approached by Hasbro to do some PR work for the film, he runs one of the largest GI Joe fan sites. Turned them down over concerns the movie would suck.

i didnt think it sucked but thats just me when movies like this come out they take me back to the good ol´days , also alot people complained about the transformer movies 1 & 2 and i thought they were sick ! the one i really didnt get into was the dragonball z movie but maybe part 2 will be better just like the streetfighter part 2 maybe it will be better...

back in the g.i. joe cartoon days me and all my boys would be wearing the army cargo pants filling up the pockets with these lil orange coconuts that would fall off the palm tress and have teams of like 10 on 10 and play war : like a primitive paintball game - using apt bldgs for bases and taking cover behind cars - we´d go at it , GO JOE ! :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie and I doubt that I will. But from what I have seen of the trailers, it looks to me like it stole heavily from Asimov's Starship Troopers. That would be the book, not the sucky movies that were very loosly based on the book.

Sorry, I think it was Asimov who wrote that. I might be mistaken.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie and I doubt that I will. But from what I have seen of the trailers, it looks to me like it stole heavily from Asimov's Starship Troopers. That would be the book, not the sucky movies that were very loosly based on the book.

Sorry, I think it was Asimov who wrote that. I might be mistaken.

Heinlein genius.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
hey omar - did storm shadow die as he fell into the water or was he just badly injured and he might be in part 2 ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heinlein genius.

Good catch. I didn't think I was right about that.

From what I saw on the trailers, it looks like they "borrowed" the concept of the battle suits that the soldiers wore in Starship Troopers. gives them the ability to jump and travel very quickly, carry all kinds of weapons, etc. Would you agree, from seeing the movie, or is my impression inaccurate?

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
man that movie was full of all kinds of symbolizim , almost feels like some of the weaponary they had in the movie already exsist - destro seems like a typical illuminati candidate %-}

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not so close, it's pretty much armor that enhances strength, that's about it. As far as armour goes it's pretty aweful though, condiering much of their face is still exposed. But as far as stealing from Heinlein, I don't think so, there are many sources where you can find armored heroes. Everything from Iron Man to Agents Of Atlas to Gundam to even Power Rangers the list goes on. To me it seems pretty similar to the one used in Dale Brown's Act Of war and Edge Of Battle.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not so close, it's pretty much armor that enhances strength, that's about it. As far as armour goes it's pretty aweful though, condiering much of their face is still exposed. But as far as stealing from Heinlein, I don't think so, there are many sources where you can find armored heroes. Everything from Iron Man to Agents Of Atlas to Gundam to even Power Rangers the list goes on. To me it seems pretty similar to the one used in Dale Brown's Act Of war and Edge Of Battle.

Fair enough. I just saw the trailers, and saw these guys jumping and running really fast and far, and it was clearly the suits giving them the ability, beyond simply being body armor. The first thing I thought of was, Starship Troopers. Before I realized it was GI Joe, I thought maybe a new Starship Troopers movie was being made, more true to the book.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw the movie.

It was a movie based on a toy and an old (and poorly written) kids cartoon, so my expectations were set accordingly.

If I forgot this on the way to the theatre, the opening of the movie was quick to remind me, as the first thing to roll across the screen was big letters saying, "Produced in association with Hasbro."

Took me about ten minutes to get used to Channing's Alabama Cajun accent, but after that, I was fine with it.

Decent gunplay, enough story to drive the movie, good special effects, and Denis Quaid. Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fights were very well choreographed in my opinion. Marlon Wayans played a mostly non comedic character credibly.

As it was a toy, I really could care less about origins of the characters. I remember the cartoon and it was pretty bad, so changing the story did not bother me. The only thing that kind of did bother me was making GI Joe into an international task force; last I recall, it was a US special operations group.

I was about to write it off as being an overproduced and under written kids action flick when something amazing happened:

Cobra was actually (gasp!) competent! At no point did the villains make bone headed moron plans that a fifth grader could have foiled.

The origin of Cobra commander was a bit weak, but as they spent less than ten minutes on it, I was okay with it. The fact that he was not a bumbling idiot more than made up for the dippy origin.

In all, I enjoyed it. It was not high theatre by any means, but it was not supposed to be. It was fun and I did not feel ripped off when I left the theatre, which is a lot more than I can say for any of the crap that Ebert and Roper and the rest of the critics usually gush over.

Daniel

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bad movie in my opinion. Ripped off tons of movies. Anyone see the day the Earth stood still with Keanu Reeves with the little metal eating bugs? Yep G.I.Joe took it too. To many movie cliche' too much bad acting like Cobra commander and Destro running out holding each other like a married couple. To many one liners(like the guy who gets blown up in the Airplane/Helicoptor in the first 15 mins of the movie.

Snake eyes in Japan but they did not speak Japanese and going from the city to some mystical temple was laughable.

The Baroness is a skank. She sleeps with Duke,Sleeps with Storm Shadow.Marries some doctor guy other guy(sleeps with him most likely) Sleeps with Destro.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Daniel, Let me clear something up man. Though the name of the property GI Joe comes from a toy, the story, all the characters and pretty much everything that came after kung fu grip was based on an incredible series written by Larry Hama. The cartoon was laughably bad compared to the comics, in fact I could point out several plots, story elements, uses of tech that popped up later int he works of Clancy and Dale Brown.

Reducing GI Joe to that cartoon, is like reducing Batman to the Adam West TV series. There is a resemblance, but it's not "it."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
From what I saw on the trailers, it looks like they "borrowed" the concept of the battle suits that the soldiers wore in Starship Troopers. gives them the ability to jump and travel very quickly, carry all kinds of weapons, etc. Would you agree, from seeing the movie, or is my impression inaccurate?

As I recall the Mobile Infantry had suits that allowed them to insert from orbit (though their was somesort of ablative reentry vehicle that aided in that), jump hundreds of meters with the aid of some sort of booster (hence the term "mobile"), have combinations of flamethrower, slug thrower, and a grenade launching rack on the back that launched different things including mini-nukes. It was heavy enough that if the energy source quit, the infantryman couldn't move on his own. Pretty different than what was shown in the trailer.

Latest Discussions