FYI. Kukkiwon Regulations and Fees

A

abzack

I have seen alot of comments about the high fees charged by Kukkiwon. I live in Seoul, Korea and we do not pay such high fees. If you are tested by the appropriate grade instructor, fill out the application for dan grade and get the instructor to sign it. Then you mail it in and they deliberate (I believe this means they check the Dan certificate of the instructor who signed your application) and then issue you Dan/Poom certificate. 1st Dan costs $70 at Kukkiwon.
I have added links to the Kukkiwon site (English) for the International Division that lists the fees for each Dan/Poom grade, and also to the Articles for Regulation For Promotion Tests. These are the minimums that Kukkiwon requires.

Regulation For Promotion Tests
International Division (Fee Schedule)

Korean Martial Arts Dojang

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
My guess is that fees are set by the regional organization. For someone in Korea, you probably deal directly with Kukkiwon, so the middle men who want their cut aren't an issue.

In the US, the WTF doesn't seem to exert quality control of any kind, either in teaching standards or in business practices.

But, since I'm not in the WTF, I could be wrong.

OP
D

Disco

No your right. That's where all the horror stories about over the top fee's come from. The "average" 1st Dan fee being charged by WTF Instructors in America is around $350. Have heard stories of fee's as high as $1000.

The only standard that the Kukkiwon has control over are the forms.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Zepp
My guess is that fees are set by the regional organization. For someone in Korea, you probably deal directly with Kukkiwon, so the middle men who want their cut aren't an issue.

In the US, the WTF doesn't seem to exert quality control of any kind, either in teaching standards or in business practices.

But, since I'm not in the WTF, I could be wrong.
WTF or ITF, it's most likely you get your ranks from Kukkiwon.

Yes, it's the middle man/men who want their cut. Quality control comes at higher ranks. That's why you see so many young 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dans but hardly any 4th or 5th dans, unless they get their ranks from another organization.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Duk Sung Son is a well-known guy in the Northeast region of the US and is known for his contributions in Korea. I'm betting he got his 9th dan from Kukkiwon.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Friend,

I understand why you think this:

<<Duk Sung Son is a well-known guy in the Northeast region of the US and is known for his contributions in Korea. I'm betting he got his 9th dan from Kukkiwon.>>

But it is absolutely untrue. You are talking about someone who was a grandmaster before the formation of the KKW. Many of the older masters were offered KKW certification when the KKW was formed, but some of them rejected it, among them Lee, Yong Woo, President of the JungDoKwan.

Grandmaster Son does not practice KKW TKD. Kukkiwon only recognizes the Taegeuks for promotion. Grandmaster Son does not teach those forms. In fact they are new, and I'm not even sure they were in active use when Grandmaster Son came to the US.

I hope this helps.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
<<WTF or ITF, it's most likely you get your ranks from Kukkiwon.
>>

This too is an error. The ITF is not even based in the ROK. Nor do they practice the same style of martial art.

The WTF is the international liaison to the IOC that each country's NGB is a member of. The WTF does not issue rank, nor can any individual be a member of the WTF. Countries are members of the WTF, which propagates TKD as dictated by the KKW. This is facilitated to the various member nations via their NGB. KKW is what is commonly called Olympic Taekwondo. Although ITF TKD only originated in 1955 with the founding of the OhDoKwan or Chung Han TKD, it is considered "traditional" TKD. Two totally different animals. Actually, the ITF and WTF can be considered rivals. For more information on the US NGB, www.ustu.org.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Disco,

You are quite right. KKW rates are actually quite low, as are the rates of the NGB. However, when one considers that any school has overhead and a bottom line, it is easy to see why the rate is increased, though sometimes that is abused by unscrupulous instructors.

I don't know of anyone who would have an issue paying $125 or even $300 to support a school. I have issues when one has to sign an EFT agreement for a rank that should be reaosnable and yet, they pay a grand for a chodan. That is a tad ridiculous.

OP
D

Disco

Master Clay. If no one has said this, welcome to MT. I see that you list the USTW. I've been out of the political scene for awhile, when did they form and the obvious question is why? Must have been a big rift in the USTU. Again, welcome
:asian:

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The USTW is headed by Grandmaster Ahn. I am a voting member and support the organization as they are a non-profit organization existing to attempt reform in the martial art and sport of Taekwondo.
I am also affiliated with the US National Taekwondo Association because I believe in their mission of accepting all styles of legitimate Taekwondo. I define legitimate in the same manner as many of our Korean counterparts. I do not consider "American styles" to be legitimate TKD, though they are legitimate pugilistic systems intrinsically.

My personal preference lies in old style TKD. I have trained and certified in both MDK and CDK, though these days I draw less of a distinction between system, and the "Do."

No one has yet welcomed me, but thank you very much. I am always available to do what I can to help those who chose the same path I did.

With warmest regards, I am sincerely

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot...

Master is an honorific which was bestowed upon me. As far as my worth in this matter, I am still unsure, but I feel that one day I'll figure it out.

At any rate, it is not part of my name. My name is Frank. Please feel free to call me that, though I do appreciate the formality.

Regards,

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Duk Sung Son is a well-known guy in the Northeast region of the US and is known for his contributions in Korea. I'm betting he got his 9th dan from Kukkiwon.

Mr. Clay has already answered this one, but I thought I might add something. I was told that when Kukkiwon was founded, Mr. Son was told by the-powers-that-were that Tae Kwon Do was a sport, and that they had no interest any longer in the style that he was teaching. (This story is 3rd or 4th hand, so feel free to correct me if you know differently.)

Oh yeah. Mr. Clay, for the sake of not having said it before, welcome to MT. :D

OP
A

A.R.K.

Frank, you have my welcome as well. Good information.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Clay,

I can see that you will be an addition to this forum!
Welcome to martial talk.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the warm welcome from you folks.

DAC, whereabouts in FL are you? My residence is in the PCola area although I am in NJ. I am a consultant, so I travel quite a bit.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kodanjaclay
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the warm welcome from you folks.

DAC, whereabouts in FL are you? My residence is in the PCola area although I am in NJ. I am a consultant, so I travel quite a bit.

I live in clearwater fl. about 20 min. south of Tampa!

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kodanjaclay
<<WTF or ITF, it's most likely you get your ranks from Kukkiwon.
>>

This too is an error. The ITF is not even based in the ROK. Nor do they practice the same style of martial art.

The WTF is the international liaison to the IOC that each country's NGB is a member of. The WTF does not issue rank, nor can any individual be a member of the WTF. Countries are members of the WTF, which propagates TKD as dictated by the KKW. This is facilitated to the various member nations via their NGB. KKW is what is commonly called Olympic Taekwondo. Although ITF TKD only originated in 1955 with the founding of the OhDoKwan or Chung Han TKD, it is considered "traditional" TKD. Two totally different animals. Actually, the ITF and WTF can be considered rivals. For more information on the US NGB, www.ustu.org.
ITF TKD is not based in ROK, I never said it was. Gen. Choi was from North Korea, but moved his operations to Canada.

Today, most ITF instructors do get their rank from Kukkiwon. For instance, Wan Sup Kim (8th dan) of Chicago has his rank from Kukkiwon, even though he's ITF. His younger son is a collegiate champion in sport sparring which is headed by another organization and still holds a Kukkiwon rank.

And yes, WTF and ITF are rivals. But although the WTF and Kukkiwon are sometimes synonymous, that is not always true. Kukkiwon has its own duties with primarily issuing rank. The branches of WTF such as the IF do most of the other work.

Latest Discussions