Furthest travel to train?

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi once we can leave our houses again, I like many others who have found martial arts during this lockdown will be looking for a place to train. What is the furthest I should look for a place to train at?
I am thinking I should keep it within 1/2 hr drive to stay committed and time wise,(once time matters again), but not a lot of choice of art within that distance.

Thank you in advance for your advice
Steve

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you trained before, or would this be your first time?

It really depends on you, how motivated you are, and what you're used to doing for things you care about. For a direct answer, back when I was in college I would walk/light jog 1.5 hours to my dojo (unless my instructor was near by and could pick me up), every day. If I had to use my phone (it was a perfect time to do so), I'd leave at around 5 for 7PM class. Nowadays I wouldn't do that, and probably wouldn't go more than a half hour, mostly because of my work schedule, and just the abundance of styles around me.

So if you're new to training, I think the 1/2 hour is a good max to set for yourself, assuming you can find at least some school that you like within that range. If you've been training for a while, have been consistently training, and want to continue in a specific style, you can probably go a bit further out assuming your schedule allows for it.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
Not to do with as much what I am willing to do, as it is to do with able to do. I have a family with two very active daughters in sports, school, music etc.
I want quality in a school over convenience though.
I am in the south central PA area around York PA.
I studied karate till I believe my green belt when I was younger then have it up. Now in my 40's I have changed my entire lifestyle about 6months ago, I have gotten in the best shape and weight of my entire life and I am fully committed to training and to find a quality mid to close Kung Fu type martial art school.

Thanks again

Have you trained before, or would this be your first time?

It really depends on you, how motivated you are, and what you're used to doing for things you care about. For a direct answer, back when I was in college I would walk/light jog 1.5 hours to my dojo (unless my instructor was near by and could pick me up), every day. If I had to use my phone (it was a perfect time to do so), I'd leave at around 5 for 7PM class. Nowadays I wouldn't do that, and probably wouldn't go more than a half hour, mostly because of my work schedule, and just the abundance of styles around me.

So if you're new to training, I think the 1/2 hour is a good max to set for yourself, assuming you can find at least some school that you like within that range. If you've been training for a while, have been consistently training, and want to continue in a specific style, you can probably go a bit further out assuming your schedule allows for it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your thinking is right on track. Audit what choices you have before making any financial commitments and see what fits you the best. Already having an understanding working out will be a plus in this decision but there should be inherent differences in the workout/training. I would recommend looking for the more technical training since it sounds like you already have the conditioning under control. However, much like in wrestling, the conditioning requirements may be quite different. This is a good thing.
All the best and let us know how things go.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Sdm74. Hope you enjoy it.

Best of luck finding a place you really like. Keep us posted when this strange time comes to an end.

OP
S

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all, for the time being I am taking some online classes that some local schools are offering. Best chance I guess to see what they offer.

OP
S

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
My two choices are a Kung Fu place that teaches Pai Lum. And a MMA school that teaches Kung Fu from a few different sources I believe.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My two choices are a Kung Fu place that teaches Pai Lum. And a MMA school that teaches Kung Fu from a few different sources I believe.
Are there websites we could look at?

My guess is that probably an MMA school would not be the best way to learn a traditional kung fu method. An MMA school that is focused on competition may have adopted a few things from a kung fu system or two, but likely does not teach the complete methodology because that isn’t the fasted route to competition success under the MMA ruleset.

It is possible that such a school may teach a kung fu method as an additional and separate program, but I think that is less likely. So take a close look so that you know what you are actually getting. If a traditional kung fu method is what you are looking for I just think you ought to know what you are actually getting.

And may I ask: in what area do you live?

OP
S

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
Are there websites we could look at?

My guess is that probably an MMA school would not be the best way to learn a traditional kung fu method. An MMA school that is focused on competition may have adopted a few things from a kung fu system or two, but likely does not teach the complete methodology because that isn’t the fasted route to competition success under the MMA ruleset.

It is possible that such a school may teach a kung fu method as an additional and separate program, but I think that is less likely. So take a close look so that you know what you are actually getting. If a traditional kung fu method is what you are looking for I just think you ought to know what you are actually getting.

And may I ask: in what area do you live?
York, Pennsylvania. I'm looking at dragon MMA in Lancaster PA and Elizabethtown Kung Fu. The latter does seem very traditional, but the price is three times for the online and extra also for real in person training

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
York, Pennsylvania. I'm looking at dragon MMA in Lancaster PA and Elizabethtown Kung Fu. The latter does seem very traditional, but the price is three times for the online and extra also for real in person training
I looked at both of their websites and here are my thoughts.

The Dragon MMA actually looks like a kung fu school that may include kickboxing and/or the Chinese rules kickboxing known as Sanda. It does not look like a mainstream MMA type gym that is looking to be active in Western MMA type competitions. The kung fu they described is in very general and generic terms which suggests to me that it is likely to be Modern Performance Wushu. The uniforms seen in the photos, and the posture of the young woman in the article on Forms is also suggestive of this. If they were teaching a specific traditional kung fu fighting method, I would expect they would have named what it is.

Modern Performance Wushu was developed by the Communist Chinese government in the late 1940s-1950s as a National Sport and Cultural Performance method. It is based on the older fighting systems but is designed to be aesthetically pleasing to an uneducated public. Modern Wushu folks work hard and are often excellent athletes, but they are not practicing a traditional fighting method. What they do is imitative of traditional fighting methods, but with lots of acrobatics and such for the visual excitement.

So from what I see in their website, that is what it looks like to me but obviously I do not know that for certain.

The Elizabethtown Kung Fu school teaches Pai Lum style kung fu. I know of it, but I know very little about it. But at least they are being up front about what they are teaching. It is a genuine system that is recognized.

OP
S

Sdm74

White Belt
Reaction score
I looked at both of their websites and here are my thoughts.

The Dragon MMA actually looks like a kung fu school that may include kickboxing and/or the Chinese rules kickboxing known as Sanda. It does not look like a mainstream MMA type gym that is looking to be active in Western MMA type competitions. The kung fu they described is in very general and generic terms which suggests to me that it is likely to be Modern Performance Wushu. The uniforms seen in the photos, and the posture of the young woman in the article on Forms is also suggestive of this. If they were teaching a specific traditional kung fu fighting method, I would expect they would have named what it is.

Modern Performance Wushu was developed by the Communist Chinese government in the late 1940s-1950s as a National Sport and Cultural Performance method. It is based on the older fighting systems but is designed to be aesthetically pleasing to an uneducated public. Modern Wushu folks work hard and are often excellent athletes, but they are not practicing a traditional fighting method. What they do is imitative of traditional fighting methods, but with lots of acrobatics and such for the visual excitement.

So from what I see in their website, that is what it looks like to me but obviously I do not know that for certain.

The Elizabethtown Kung Fu school teaches Pai Lum style kung fu. I know of it, but I know very little about it. But at least they are being up front about what they are teaching. It is a genuine system that is recognized.
I did notice in my short time of studying different styles, it seemed like they took a little bit from everything.
My other option is a bit of a further drive for a wing Chung school in Abingdon MD.

Again if I was an hour and a half south I could have a great bunch of schools to choose from in Baltimore but I want to be realistic for when "real" life kicks back in..lol.
Hopefully at some point,..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did notice in my short time of studying different styles, it seemed like they took a little bit from everything.
My other option is a bit of a further drive for a wing Chung school in Abingdon MD.

Again if I was an hour and a half south I could have a great bunch of schools to choose from in Baltimore but I want to be realistic for when "real" life kicks back in..lol.
Hopefully at some point,..
I appreciate your frustration. I would recommend you check out these schools, talk to them and get some more info, including the school that may be teaching Modern Wushu. My impression about them could be wrong. So ask questions and get the low-down on what they are doing. It is possible you could get quality instruction there. You just don’t know one way or the other yet.

Latest Discussions