"Funny" how the left is all PC....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Left ... Right ... Left ... Right ... marching straight over the cliff my friend.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My take is that this is a money matter. Maher is paid by HBO to host a provocative show. If he makes them more money than he costs them, he gets to stay. If the controversy gets to a point where HBO chooses to exercise whatever clause is likely built into their contract.

This isn't a PC issue. It's also not, IMO, even a liberal/conservative issue. It's about people like Limbaugh, Maher and other "shock" entertainers making the people who employ them a lot of moolah. Money, money, money.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My issue on this thread isnt about what Maher said...it's about the double standard people like Walters employ....and other "OHMYGODYOUCANTSAYTHAT!!!" types who would jump on anyone else who said the same thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Makes more sense now. There is a lot of that going on, Tgace, but it's not all on the Left. Double standards are definitely in play. PC to me is typically a situation where someone knows that what they've said or are about to say is extremely offensive, but wants to say it anyway.

This is what I usually just refer to as mock outrage. OH MY! I can't believe the president said he doesn't like CORN! OH MY! I can't believe Limbaugh said fat people are obese! OH MY! I can't believe Maher said the word "retarded!"

It's all theater.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But....this will be a blip in the MSM. Where if Limbuagh said the N word...it would be on the 24\7 news cycle. Don't even bother trying to convince me otherwise...Walters is the example here of why....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But....this will be a blip in the MSM. Where if Limbuagh said the N word...it would be on the 24\7 news cycle. Don't even bother trying to convince me otherwise...Walters is the example here of why....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
You think it's a blip? I've heard about Maher's gaffe about 30 times in the last couple days. From you here. On the news radio. On countless websites. While certainly, left leaning media outlets are going to play it down, the right leaning media outlets are going to play it up.

Here's were you and I disagree, I think. You seem to believe that liberal media is more pervasive than conservative media. I disagree. You see liberal media as "mainstream" media. I see liberal media AND conservative media as both being mainstream. How did you hear about this? From a crystal ball? Of course not. You heard about it from a media source. Is that media source "mainstream?" Well, I guess that depends on who you ask.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes we do disagree. The whole Rush/Sandra Fluke incident for example was orders of magnitude different from this. And if this instance was on the right foot instead of the left it would be so again.

I saw this on a friends FB status. Other than that I had to google it....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You go ahead and be Right then ... see what I did there :p :lol:?

Seriously, this partisan nonsense is what is allowing the 'powers that be' to get away with whatever they want. The electorate is too busy being distracted by things that don't really matter. A sense of persecution just spices up the pot so people can't taste what it is they are really being fed by the media.

You should never have your voting choices determined by the 'colour' of the party. Neither should you vote based on personal likes or dislikes or whatever mean or laudable thing such-and-such a politician is reported to have done or said.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may as well say "do away with politics' Suk...hell my nation fought a Civil War over political differences.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
If Obama said it, some would of called for impeachment or an ethics hearing.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a double standard in coverage, not just on the cultural side as with maher, but with politics as well. The left benefits, the right suffers...it is something I have seen over the last 26 years of watching the way the media covers things. Rush calls fluke a slut, apologizes and it is 24/7 coverage...over someone not even a policy maker. obama increases the policies that Bush was attacked for 24/7, the media yawns about them until obama is safely re-elected...and then they find limited outrage...until the next election.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the latest...did anyone here about obama's "Catholic," gaffe over in Ireland?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journa...-School-Gaffe-in-Ireland-Ignored-by-U-S-Media

The mainstream media in the United States have ignored comments made by President Barack Obama during his a speech in Northern Ireland this week in which he described religious education as a source of conflict.

The president's comments have sparked widespread controversy and criticism in the Irish media, as well as in Catholic media in the U.S., but the mainstream media have ignored Obama's contentious remarks.

Obama, who attended an elite private high school, told an audience in Belfast on Monday [emphasis added]:

Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity -- symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others -- these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it. If towns remain divided -- if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs -- if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.

Catholic media have interpreted the remarks as an attack on religious education itself, and Catholic education in particular. The mainstream media, which seized on every remark made by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney during his 2012 international trip as a near-disqualifying "gaffe," have been entirely silent.

While gaffes are usually defined as extemporaneous, off-the-cuff errors or poorly judged statements, Obama's remarks were planned in advance. The "gaffe" in Obama's Belfast remarks lies in the fact that Obama did not consider the sensitivities of his audience--or that he inadvertently revealed his own anti-religious prejudice.

I typed in "obama's gaffe in Ireland" and 2 pages in...nothing from the democrat/government media...it is all on the new media...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For those of you too young to remember...the first President Bush said he didn't like broccoli, and didn't want it to be served at White House dinners...wow, you couldn't get away from the coverage...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity -- symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others -- these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it. If towns remain divided -- if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs -- if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.

What about Islamic Schools? Why didn't he mention them??

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about Islamic Schools? Why didn't he mention them??
One of two things:
Because it is OK for Muslims to do all those bad bad things.
Because you just can't criticize Muslim behavior...

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any attempt to teach your kids something other than the "Party School" curriculum must be verboten eh? I wonder who his teachers and college role models were...

...oh.....yeah.

Latest Discussions