Fun Conditioning Drills

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm in the mood to run my guys ragged tonight. Any of you have any suggestions, perhaps a drill or two to share? I want it to be tough and painful but still fun.

I'm planning to have them practice forms with burpees, situps, and plyometric jumps scattered in liberally after sections of the form.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have medicine balls from three pounds all the way to thirty five and we have student hold them while kicking a heavy bag. It help them to relize how fast they can get with a little help. Also we do line drills, bacl leg roundhouse and then sqaurt after each one and also snap kicks and then come down and back up with just the legs.

If you have a big enough place play Tae Kwon Do Baseball or crab soccor that will get things going for you.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have medicine balls from three pounds all the way to thirty five and we have student hold them while kicking a heavy bag. It help them to relize how fast they can get with a little help. Also we do line drills, bacl leg roundhouse and then sqaurt after each one and also snap kicks and then come down and back up with just the legs.

If you have a big enough place play Tae Kwon Do Baseball or crab soccor that will get things going for you.

Thanks. The medicine ball idea is a great one. I only have one for personal use, so I guess I'll pass it around.

What exactly is TKD baseball?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make a baseball diamond on your floor you know first base, second ,third and homeplate, then get a faom ball. The ball is thrown underhand to the batter who uses there back leg roundhouse to kick it, the out fielder are allowed to throw the ball at the runner to get them out. The runner can junp duck or dive under the ball. It help building awareness and flexibility.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have a big bag of balls that are a little smaller than tennis balls. My instructor will first have everyone stand at the front of the dojang, then he takes the bag and throws all the balls all over the floor. (they roll EVERYWHERE) Basically he tells us... "You have 1 minute... RUN!" And we have to sprint across the dojang to get every single ball back :uhyeah:
I bet you could add obstacles like jumps, but dodging the other students is an obstacle already!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One minute kicking drills. Stand on one foot and kick with the other for one minute without putting it down. Of course then you do the other leg. Repeat 2 more times each leg.

Station Drills. I use a ring timer but it's not mandatory. Set up areas or stations / Preferably one for each person in class. Heavy Bag Kicking, Heavy bag hand techniques, continuous patterns, Shadow Sparring. Continuous breakfalls etc. Continuous target kicking etc. Students are at a station for 3 minutes and then rotate.

Oh, and of course the favorite night of 1000 kicks, or night of 2000 hand techniques.

Attacker / Defender drill. One partner is attacker. One defender. Defender acts basicaly as a moving target . Attacker must attack with continuouis series flowing attacks hands and feet while defender moves. Do this for a minute and switch roles.

Variation Use a whistle. At varying intervals you blow the whistle so they have to switch roles unexpectedly. Helps with transitions.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyt ime you clap (kiyop, blow a whistle, etc) they run to the far end of the dojang and back (or drop and do 20 pushups or whatever) and then get right back into what they were doing before you clapped. Good physically and mentally.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
relay races....

the posibilities are endless...

One of my favorites to hate is like this:

You mark up a few points on the floor, cones, lines, what have you. The you run to the first mark, touch it, run back, touch the starting point, run to the second mark,t ouch, back to start....the you can take the easy way out once you reached the last mark run back and be done or reverse the progress....

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
relay races....

the posibilities are endless...

One of my favorites to hate is like this:

You mark up a few points on the floor, cones, lines, what have you. The you run to the first mark, touch it, run back, touch the starting point, run to the second mark,t ouch, back to start....the you can take the easy way out once you reached the last mark run back and be done or reverse the progress....

In highschool we called those suicides!

Let us know what you came up with!

Last edited:
OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In highschool we called those suicides!

Let us know what you came up with!

I decided to go with a linking game. I divided my class into two teams and each team got to pick techniques for the other team to perform as group with a burpee and pushup added in.

So it goes something like this:

1) get into horse stance and punch twice
burpee & pushup
2) get into horse stance and punch twice
burpee & pushup
side kick to both left and right
burpee & pushup
3) get into horse stance and punch twice
burpee & pushup
side kick to both left and right
burpee & pushup
forward roll then jump up and kiai
burpee & pushup

And so on. Every time someone on your team forgets the sequence, your team starts back at 1 move only. The team that successfully assembled the longest chain of the night gets a special group lesson from me on whatever topic they want.

It was a fun class and I know everyone left extremely tired and yet they all had a great time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am getting exhausted just reading that!

and nothing sweeter than to pick the exercise for the other team. :)

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have a few
1) squat down, come up left front kick, go down come up right front kick, then repeat
make sure they keep their backs straight
2) just like the first one but side kick off to the side
push ups if guard drops
3) make them go down the mats going on one knee, come up back leg front kick put infront placing back knee on floor then come up and front kick with back leg again, repeat the length of the mat
4) make them do regular front kicks down the mat, then above white front kick, round kick down, then middle color belt rank front kick, round kick, side kick, then black belts front kick, round kick, side kick, hook kick, twist kick
all these are with back leg and no knee going onto the ground, if you want to mix it up for 3rd degrees make them jump front kick instead of puting that foot down and going to the next set. (make sure the knee placement is correct or pushups)
5)on the wall sparring is another one, get gear on, have one person keep one shoulder on the wall line up 3 or 4 students infront of them and start with the wall person just block (shoulder can't leave wall or push up) then let them block and counter

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
and my instructors personal favorite... after each ten push ups ten sit ups
another drill is: 2 push up, 2 sit up, 2 jumping jacks, 2 jump knife hand strikes, 2 jump twin punches (thats one set) 15 sets, it gets the body warmed up

Latest Discussions