Balancing testing material, fun & sweat

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach a non-profit class (2 hours a week) on 11 week sessions. I plan to have testing for my students every 3-4 months. I want to balance the required testing material with tons of fun & sweat. As white belts, there's not a lot of testing material, but it takes time for it to sink in.

I'm looking for fun drills w/ big kick pads & small targets (& without them, too.) Any help is very appreciated!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK,

What is the age group? All ages, mostly younger kids?

When I taught a split (i.e. under age 13, over age 13), I'd have "games" like "Sabum-Nim Says" for the younger group. They love that game and you are reinforcing listening skills, terminology skills, etc.

Older students might prefer to get their "reps" in by doing combinations with and without resistance (i.e. paddle or shield), with and without steps.

Good Luck!

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
IcemanSK,

What is the age group? All ages, mostly younger kids?

When I taught a split (i.e. under age 13, over age 13), I'd have "games" like "Sabum-Nim Says" for the younger group. They love that game and you are reinforcing listening skills, terminology skills, etc.

Older students might prefer to get their "reps" in by doing combinations with and without resistance (i.e. paddle or shield), with and without steps.

Good Luck!

Miles

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. All of my students are between 7-13. I love the idea of Sabum-Nim Says. In my case, it would be Kyosa-Nim Says. Thank you, sir.:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pretty much got that figured--it is a balance of the three.

That age is pretty competitive. They like technique lines--one holds the paddle while they line up and round kick, spin heel, hook, or crescent, etc. They can see how the others are doing it that way as well. Small groups but that takes alot of paddles.

We have plyometric drills, around cones, on "lily pad" targets on the floor, jumping over small barricades, monkey run- on hands and feet, crab walk, tumbling, rolling, etc. Races doing round kick etc. to different targets or over the cones--two or three go at a time or use a stopwatch and time just one and mark it down. Round/spin heel kicking soft foam balls. Dodge ball for 5 minutes at the end--instructor gets to tag the students along one wall by a throw to get them out. Need a bucket of balls. Flying side and flying double front kick (or triple) are fun for them too, to a paddle(s).

First half or so of class is fun, sweat and technique work, or sparring. The second half about (15-20 min.) form, and requirements, plus ab workout. There are pushups of course but we do those at the beginning of class. TW

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! Lots of great ideas!:asian:

Latest Discussions