Frustration with training frequency of Tai Chi and application

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to mention that although aikido does focus on applications in its trainig, imho it takes years of practice to make aikido effective against an attacker. Like taiji aikido is an art built around princioples that do not use brute force and there are many sublties that go into making a technique workj that are not obivious to the observer nor are they easy to execute. I do not want you to switch and find your self in the same place. Both arts require a substantial time investment in order to be functional

Respectfully,
Marlon

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
mograph,

Chen style develops its energy through the practice of chansujin (silk reeling). Yang style develops its energy through chousijin (drawing silk). In Yang style we "mobilize jin as though drawing silk" (yun jin ru chousi). The mainstay of Chen style is fajin, the mainstay of Yang style is pungjin. Yang style of course develops and issues fajin. but it is "concealed within" and not as obvious as in Chen.

Hope this helps

Very best wishes

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

At its most basic level[FONT=Verdana, Arial], think of an inflated bladder. The air inside holds the bladder so that the surface is firm. The air inside is soft and relaxed and creates an internal pressure. When force is applied by forcing the bladder against the ground it does not collapse. The bladder just bounces. When the body is really relaxed, extended, and open, then the body can become more like a bladder,- springy and distributing energy evenly.

Very best wishes

[/FONT]

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

At its most basic level[FONT=Verdana, Arial], think of an inflated bladder. The air inside holds the bladder so that the surface is firm. The air inside is soft and relaxed and creates an internal pressure. When force is applied by forcing the bladder against the ground it does not collapse. The bladder just bounces. When the body is really relaxed, extended, and open, then the body can become more like a bladder,- springy and distributing energy evenly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Very best wishes[/FONT]
Thank you...one of the bookls i have discusses this extensively however calls it something different

Respectfully,
Marlon

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi marlon,

What does your book call it?

I have been using the spelling Pung when in fact it should probably be spelled Peng but which is pronounced Pung.

Very best wishes

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all:

Everyone has posted something of interest and value, but the bottom line here gentlemen is if your Shifu isn't a fighter then his Taiji will fail you. No matter what style you take the instructor must be a fighter if that's what you want to learn.

Please check out master "Wong's Tai Chi" on youtube then you will understand what I am saying. Rule #1 "martial artist are people that train 2-3 x week". Rule #2 warriors are people that train every single day of their lives." just cause I bowl 2x wk doesn't make me a bowler! Your teacher cabn only guide you and teach you the techniques that got him where he/she is, but the rest depends on you.

The question you should be asking is "how bad of a BADASS do I want to be?" and then go for it, and remember that any style is like wine the longer you brew it the better it gets.

Peace
Mantismaster

p.s. Yang Luchang knew Chen Style and then created Yang

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with Mantismaster. For 12 years I have been doing tai chi for only a couple days a week, and now I train 6 days a week and see a huge jump in my abilities and fluidity of style. I may actualy go for 7 days a week soon.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi marlon,

What does your book call it?

I have been using the spelling Pung when in fact it should probably be spelled Peng but which is pronounced Pung.

Very best wishes

Well the short answer is "energetic coherence". Now that i check he also names it peng jin "simply expanding to meet the force...allow the structure to "fill up" proportionately to the impinging force"

much of the book deals with this aspect of taiji but does not neglect the whole of it.

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with Mantismaster. For 12 years I have been doing tai chi for only a couple days a week, and now I train 6 days a week and see a huge jump in my abilities and fluidity of style. I may actualy go for 7 days a week soon.

define training please...it seems silly but i do not want to make assumptions.

respectfully,
Marlon

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
well... practice practice practice, get corrections from my instructor, practice practice practice, more corrections/additions and more practice....

DaPoets

Green Belt
Reaction score
My schedule as previously posted in this thread.

I posted this last night from my cell phone but it decided not to allow me to hit the quick reply button...

I thought I would speak of time spent training. For over a decade I would train only a couple times a week (2-3 times a week) and for about an hour and a half per session. As of January my schedule changed greatly so now my ability to train more often and longer has been paying off greatly by my increased awareness, strength, balance, posture, agility, stamina, and clarity. Here is my current schedule.

Wake up: about 10 min of Taoist Tai Chi exercises.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
5:15pm open tai chi branch, practice for 45 min.
6pm - 7pm teach beginners classes
7pm - 8:30pm practice

Tuesday Advanced training in Toronto for 3 hours (7pm - 10pm)

Friday
7pm - 8:30pm practice

Saturday
9-10am teach beginners
10am - 11:30am practice

Sunday
day of rest/house & yard work/ etc...

So that's roughly over 15 hours a week that I am doing tai chi (split between teaching and my own practice)