Front foot step in, back foot slide forward footwork

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this video, he throws 3 punches. When he throws the 1st and the 3rd punch, his front foot step in, his back foot slide forward.

Does your MA system train this kind of footwork? What's your opinion on this footwork?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's called tsugi ashi ("thrust step", I think) in several Japanese MA. I've also been taught it in savate, kajukenbo and muay thai. I think it's good because it avoids crossing your legs, which makes your structure more vulnerable. It also helps transfer your bodyweight in the direction of movement, which generates power.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Slide step, step slide. Forward and back. Left and right, right and left. Hours of these drills. A universal technique for sure.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you punch when your front foot land, or when you back foot end sliding?
Both. it depends on how much I need to advance. Front foot always. Back foot sometimes. stepping into a thrust punch has the punch start when the backfoot moves.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on the distance, what the other guy is doing and what you're trying to do.
Footwork is not and independent functions. Footwork is like water. It flows and takes shape of the opponent and at times can be used to crash into an opponent. it should never look disconnected or lost. When is how it looks when it's independent and moving without context.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this video, he throws 3 punches. When he throws the 1st and the 3rd punch, his front foot step in, his back foot slide forward.

Does your MA system train this kind of footwork? What's your opinion on this footwork?
In my Wing Chun we work this. Some WC seems to separate punching from stepping. That's OK, but synchronizing punch with a step or turn gives much more power.

The less talented you are, the more attention you have to pay to stuff like this ...so, needless to say, I pay a lot of attention to it!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shuffle step. Also seen in Isshinryu and more like the video you posted in our kobudo (weapons), particularly our Sai kata. Chatanyara no sai comes to mine. Punch, shuffle, punch punch.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shuffle step. Also seen in Isshinryu and more like the video you posted in our kobudo (weapons), particularly our Sai kata. Chatanyara no sai comes to mine. Punch, shuffle, punch punch.
What % of weight distribution do you use in your MA system when you use this footwork?

The video in post 1 uses 40% weight on front leg and 60% weight on back leg (4-6 stance). IMO, it a very conservative weight distribution.

This video uses 30%-70% weight distribution (3-7 stance).

This video use 75%-25% weight distribution (monkey stance).

This video ends with both feet together (side cat stance).

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Step jab step cross.

So open stance jab close stance cross.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
50 ish 50 ish
Not too aggressive and not too conservative.

This weight distribution is more aggressive.

monkey-stance.gif

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the reason do you think?
Supposedly, separating punching from stepping and breathing allows fast, free timing of punches unrestricted by the timing of your steps and breath.

This is true, but it comes at a price.

The result is often weak, ineffectual punching that won't stop a tough, determined attacker. As soon as your attacker or opponent realizes that your punches can't really hurt him, you have a real problem.

The two solutions to this problem are:

A. Develop an incredibly powerful WC short-punch using arm-power only, with perfect kinetic linkage, timing, relaxation and qi.

B. Develop a good, heavy short-punch coordinating good kinetic linkage, stepping and bodyweight transfer.

Years ago, as an impressionable and gullible young student, I opted for A., the "incredible" result. Now age and experience has taught me what the word "incredible" actually means ...literally beyond belief. So I now favor option B. and try to develop good power! ;)

Latest Discussions