From Kosho-Ryu Kempo...

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kata Ma-Ai No Jo, of Kosho-Ryu Kempo.
Bruce Juchnik lineage.

Are their similar Jo kata out there studied in the Kempo/Kenpo arts?

Thank you,
Milt G.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In NCK we only practice the Bo. The Jo kata in the video has a ton of elements from the Bo katas we learn though; mainly Shushi No Kon Sho, Cerio No Kon Sho and Dai.

Thanks for the post!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I like Kosho and I like staff forms and I liked that but I haveto ask, this is a serious question; why so much self-flagellation in theform?

Please forgive me if that is a silly question and just chalk it up to me being an old CMA guy

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, Xue, I don't think it's a silly question... I was kinda dancing around it, but my immediate response to the question "is there anyone else who has a kata like this?" was "dear god, I hope not!" I won't expand unless asked, though...

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who developed that sequence, Milt? Was it from Bruce Juchnik himself, do you know?
Hello...
You know, I am not sure...? He certainly may have. He does that on occasion. Guess I could just ask. :)
The "idea" for it had to come from somewhere, though.
Oddly, I kind of enjoy researching this stuff. The outcome is sometimes quite interesting. :)
Thank you,
Milt G.

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like Kosho and I like staff forms and I liked that but I haveto ask, this is a serious question; why so much self-flagellation in theform?

Please forgive me if that is a silly question and just chalk it up to me being an old CMA guy

Hello.
Just performed it the way I learned it. :)
Thank you,
Milt G.

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, Xue, I don't think it's a silly question... I was kinda dancing around it, but my immediate response to the question "is there anyone else who has a kata like this?" was "dear god, I hope not!" I won't expand unless asked, though...

:)

Hello...
Was not really asking for a critique of the form...
Just asking if anyone had seen a similar Jo form in the Ken/mpo arts.

Gosh... Everyone's a critic! :D
Milt G.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, cool. Thanks for the answers, Milt. Personally, I think you'll find that it's most likely a recently created (the last generation or so) form, probably from Bruce Juchnik, or a senior under him when you do the research, based on the "feel" of it.

Thanks again.

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ha, cool. Thanks for the answers, Milt. Personally, I think you'll find that it's most likely a recently created (the last generation or so) form, probably from Bruce Juchnik, or a senior under him when you do the research, based on the "feel" of it.

Thanks again.

I think you are probably right, Chris...
Thank you.
Milt G.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Like I said, I'm an old CMA guy so what do I know about Kosho, but thanks, at least I now know it is not only me :D

Hello.
Just performed it the way I learned it. :)
Thank you,
Milt G.

Thanks

Hello...
Was not really asking for a critique of the form...
Just asking if anyone had seen a similar Jo form in the Ken/mpo arts.

Gosh... Everyone's a critic! :D
Milt G.

Oh no, I liked the form and I did not mean to be a critic it is just I have never seen that before in a staff form. But then all my staff forms are from CMA (Taiji, Changquan, Xingyiquan) and the Changquan one broke my ankle so what do I know about kosho. Actually I know I likke what I have seen and even thought about pursuing in more than once.

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm an old CMA guy so what do I know about Kosho, but thanks, at least I now know it is not only me :D

Thanks

Oh no, I liked the form and I did not mean to be a critic it is just I have never seen that before in a staff form. But then all my staff forms are from CMA (Taiji, Changquan, Xingyiquan) and the Changquan one broke my ankle so what do I know about kosho. Actually I know I likke what I have seen and even thought about pursuing in more than once.

Hello, and thank you...
I will try to not "beat myself up" over all of the "self flagellation"... :)
I enjoy Kosho-Ryu. Seems to work well with Kenpo. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to watch.
Milt G.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Milt, I have no issues with your performance, I thought that was quite well done. Direct, focused, clean.... very nice.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you...
I will try to not "beat myself up" over all of the "self flagellation"... :)
I enjoy Kosho-Ryu. Seems to work well with Kenpo. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to watch.
Milt G.

Heehee...you have an excellent sense of humor. :D you also have excellent footwork...that particularly shines in the subsequent Jo video you have.

I don't know of any Kenpo forms with the Jo. That's not to say they don't exist...but I can't remember ever seeing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Milt, I have no issues with your performance, I thought that was quite well done. Direct, focused, clean.... very nice.

Thanks, Chris...
I appreciate your input.

I also thank you for taking the time to watch the video, and to comment.
Time is indeed the most valuable thing we have to give, and to share.

All my best to you!
Milt G.

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Heehee...you have an excellent sense of humor. :D you also have excellent footwork...that particularly shines in the subsequent Jo video you have.

I don't know of any Kenpo forms with the Jo. That's not to say they don't exist...but I can't remember ever seeing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey you...!
Nice to hear from you, again, Carol.
I trust all continues to be well with you?

I took a 10 year hiatus from Kenpo back in the 90's and studied Kosho-Ryu.
This was one of the many things I have learned, but still struggle at. :)

Thank you for your input!
Milt G.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the form interesting but I would venture to say it could have been better designed. Your execution is very relaxed and precise so thumbs up and that part.

Thanks for sharing Milt. As always, public videos leaves you open to critique and often the biggest critics are the ones that have no videos of their own. (Not directed at the forum members and more directed at the youtube users).

OP
Milt G.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I found the form interesting but I would venture to say it could have been better designed. Your execution is very relaxed and precise so thumbs up and that part.

Thanks for sharing Milt. As always, public videos leaves you open to critique and often the biggest critics are the ones that have no videos of their own. (Not directed at the forum members and more directed at the youtube users).

Thank you, Zoran...
Missed you in Vegas last year. :(

Sadly (or happily) I did not design the form. I posted only to try to find out if anyone has seen a similar one in another Kenpo, or related art. Mostly to asertain if the background was a traditional one. I know the kata has been around for 25 or 30 years, anyway.
Agreed... The biggest critics (especially the negative ones, it seems) have little or nothing to share of their own... Other then their own opinions.

Nice to hear from you again! :)
Milt G.

Latest Discussions