Kempo/kenpo and yoga

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Larry Kraxberger Sensei, Is a Great person and a TOP shelf kosho Teacher.
I am still waiting for my call back from Pat kelly Sensei on this.
I had a great time with both in RENO at the gathering.

kosho

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As for the "kicking asanas", I'll break them down in to more detail--

Thanks!

Some other oddities that we do that might fall in to this category of yoga:
zig zag jumping patterns (both side to side and back and forth)
frog jumping (jumping as high as possible while pulling feet towards the body then landing quietly)
height jumping (jumping from a position considerably lower to a 2'-4' platform)

Have you read Mitose's book, "What is True Self Defense?" He outlines a series of 14 jumping patterns and recommends a practice regimen of 100 of each for 100 days. Your patterns listed above resemble a couple of them.

I've emailed my sensei's instructor, Larry Kraxberger, for information about the Japanese yoga that we do. I'll try and relay the information as best I can.

Great. I would love to know how these asanas are performed. Like other poses, where they are achieved slowly and held, or just done as slow kicks?

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho Shorei Yoga
Three Body postures

Standing praying postion

Sitting Postion legs crossed and the covered fist two inches below the navel

Lying postion hands and arms are at the side of the body

The Seven hand postion

Praying hands
covered fist
open hands
first knuckles
finger tips
closed fists
palms flat

Here's a Exercise # 2

sit down in a praying postion and straighten the legs in front. Take a deep breath, straighten the arms, bend the back and touch the toes with your finger tips. Exhale slowly, straighten up and get into covered fist position
take a deep breath staighten arms bend the back and grab the toes and pull exhale slowly, straighten up and get into the open hands postion. Change to a praying hands position. this will end the set numbered # 2

I forgot I had 1 - 10 written down. I am still waiting a call from Pat Kelly Sensei, I will also get a call into Hanshi Juchnik tonight.

take care,
Kosho

Benjp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Larry Kraxberger Sensei, Is a Great person and a TOP shelf kosho Teacher.

Yes, our class is very fortunate to have him drop in from time to time..
KenpoDave said:
Have you read Mitose's book, "What is True Self Defense?" He outlines a series of 14 jumping patterns and recommends a practice regimen of 100 of each for 100 days. Your patterns listed above resemble a couple of them.

I wish. I spent the better part of the last 5 years searching online bookstores and auction sites for a copy that I could afford. Alas, they're too rare.

kosho said:
Kosho Shorei Yoga

Thanks for the information! I had forgotten about the Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo student handbook..

I also mentioned on the other forum the energy collection exercises as they are very similar to the Mitose sun salutation.

Regards,

Ben

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Dave,
If you have that book then I think you have a great starting point to understand what James Mitose was talking about in regards to Japanese Yoga. A number of the excercises that have already been mentioned are found in there.

Benjp,
I bought my copy of What is True Self Defense? as part of the Journey Series package done by Hanshi. The series includes 20 DVDs in which Hanshi interprets a number of passages from the book. The book is an integral part of Kosho history but the DVDs boost it's usefulness and applicability to your training. Check with Hanshi to see if he still offers this series.

_Don Flatt

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
japanese yoga.... interesting. i have read some material from mitosesensei but i didn't learn of the actual term japanese yoga. i think taiso would mean bodily exercise like different types of stretching or movement of body or limbs .
at least, in japan, i would think there is no such word as japanese yoga. however, i definately can understand what is meant as japan can truly claim to have great knowledge of the body and it's various applications. the knowledge historicaly was accumulated over the ages from sages, warriors etc..
still in present day japan, one can often find people doing morning exercises. the cult of the center is still much alive in all types of practices as mentioned above for example. that is not only a historical form of evolution but even as the individual comes to realize the obvious interaction of self and all things. being in a vehicle of sorts that is to be in the body. how could anyone deny the similarity?

japan is a culture that has a close relationship with the ground because of siting without chairs. as in seiza or even kekkafuza for those that practice zen. this in itself is like a type of physical yoga. yoga meaning 'unification'
some kind of joining, melting..harnesing.

however, i am sure that even before buddhism, it was the martial and other cultural traditions that shaped everything else, in their image/example of perfection.

j

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave,
If you have that book then I think you have a great starting point to understand what James Mitose was talking about in regards to Japanese Yoga. A number of the excercises that have already been mentioned are found in there.

I got mine out the other day and sort of skimmed over those sections. I am hoping to get to spend some quality time with it this week.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i own this book written by michio kushi. it talks about a subject called macrobiotics. there are many yoga style exercises also shown.
i would think that one thing that could be called japanese yoga is taijutsu or taihenjutsu also kiko-japanese word for chigung- keeping in mind that there are also many strictly chinese styles practiced in japan.

Benjp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I spoke with Larry Kraxberger sensei last night and we discussed Japanese yoga. He stated that he would like to post his response in his q&a section of his website. So I think I'll let his answer stand for itself rather than paraphrase or interpret incorrectly.

Watch this space for his response...

Regards,

Ben

joeleitz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of kempo style yoga either so I'm interested in knowing what you mean by that. I practice yoga daily and I find that it has great benefits. I feel so much more energized after just a half hour practice. I actually studied yoga and did the yoga teacher training in Baja, Mexico. I really enjoyed everything I learned but I'm not teaching it myself. I just don't have time for everything at the moment.

My kempo instructor teaches yoga as part of our training. I found it somewhat helpful and several years ago started serious yoga training with a yogi that teaches at my workplace.

I've found non-kempo yoga to be much more beneficial and helpful. Stretching and flexibility are key components to martial movement.. However, with the yoga I've been learning at work I've been able to draw on more significant benefits than just flexibility.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practiced yoga for the 1st half of my 20s, then ....just "got busy" with life.

Now my wife and I are getting back into it and I'm LOVING it!
The things that both the martial arts and yoga have in common is amazing!

Curious to read about other martial artists experience with yoga. I agree with Mr. Inosanto.... it helps alieviate what decades of martial arts training can do to you.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions