Free Sparring Techniques

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twisting kicks are not in TSD ( not the version taught to me anyway) but they do look effective and deceptive.
They dont tend to hit too hard, unless You feel like hitting the groin with Your toes. But it can be hard to see coming, yes :)

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They dont tend to hit too hard, unless You feel like hitting the groin with Your toes. But it can be hard to see coming, yes :)

I was taught an odd kick...peet cha gi (reverse roundhouse kick). My instructor tells me that it releases fast, comes out of nowhere, it is not used often and can catch your opponent by surprise. It is similar to a twisting kick

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught an odd kick...peet cha gi (reverse roundhouse kick). My instructor tells me that it releases fast, comes out of nowhere, it is not used often and can catch your opponent by surprise. It is similar to a twisting kick

From what I can see, its just a twisting kick with a different chamber :)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well.... I am not a fighter from the sports side of view. I did almost 10 tornaments when I was a teen, I won some fight and I lost some fights, I won some third and second plazes but never won a first place and truth to be told: a) I never trained for competition and b) I did not like to compete either.

I colud manage to defend myself inside the dojang doong kyorugy and I can be placed in the place the judge told you are, I am not a competitor I am a 44 years old guy who loves the martial arte of TKD so my way of fighting is that way using full blows trying to drop my partner but quite frankly I don't fight for points and THE POINTS are the key to wing a sport match.

When doing Kenpo karate I become crazy cause they do point fighting/sparring and the kenpo guys always win over me cause a slap to the head gear was considered a point or a light kick to the ribs was a point, I did chase my oponents using full power kicks and sometimes I caught the beath of my oponent but I dind not win the point cause he wa s quicker and land me a slopy back fist to my helmet (causing me nothing).

So don't be shame yoiu are an aoutstanding kata/forms performer and a regular guy in sparring, there are very few competitors who are good in both arenas.

Manny

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well.... I am not a fighter from the sports side of view. I did almost 10 tornaments when I was a teen, I won some fight and I lost some fights, I won some third and second plazes but never won a first place and truth to be told: a) I never trained for competition and b) I did not like to compete either.

I colud manage to defend myself inside the dojang doong kyorugy and I can be placed in the place the judge told you are, I am not a competitor I am a 44 years old guy who loves the martial arte of TKD so my way of fighting is that way using full blows trying to drop my partner but quite frankly I don't fight for points and THE POINTS are the key to wing a sport match.

When doing Kenpo karate I become crazy cause they do point fighting/sparring and the kenpo guys always win over me cause a slap to the head gear was considered a point or a light kick to the ribs was a point, I did chase my oponents using full power kicks and sometimes I caught the beath of my oponent but I dind not win the point cause he wa s quicker and land me a slopy back fist to my helmet (causing me nothing).

So don't be shame yoiu are an aoutstanding kata/forms performer and a regular guy in sparring, there are very few competitors who are good in both arenas.

Manny

Thank you Manny!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Manny

This can get really frustrating. Many years ago, when I was a new student, I went to a tournament. The guy I was fighting did some leaping flippy hand shot to the head protector and scored the first point. So... I said that wasn't going to happen again, and the next leap, I locked down and literally punched him out of the air. He got the point... Yeah, he was on the ground, he was gasping... but his flippy hand thing got "in" first...

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you throwing single, powerful techniques, or multiple, faster ones? Combinations are key. Find a few and practice them until they are automatic responses. Never throw a single technique. Never throw a single kick. Always combinations. Backfist, reverse punch, ridgehand. Front kick, round kick, hook kick side kick. Front kick, land with backfist then reverse punch. Go-go-go; don't stop.

Practice backfist. Lots of opponents don't train to defend against them.

For practice, when you are sparring in the dojang, NEVER put your foot down. Spar with your leg framed for a roundhouse. Kick from a chambered position. From that position you can throw round, side, hook, even front kicks. It will build your speed and stamina.

Point sparring is NOT self-defense. You have to fight and train differently for point sparring. Most, if not all your techniques (except reverse punch), should be from your lead leg or lead hand. No kicks from the rear leg except spinning kicks.

As someone has already mentioned, learn to spar from an "open stance". That takes the round kick away from your opponent, which is the primary point-scoring kick.

Learn spin defenses. You said you like spin back kick. Also do spin backfist and spin hook and even spin round. (The spin round kick is weak, but deceiving and scores well in point sparring.) The "point" advantage to spin defenses is that your opponent will often hit you in the back (not your fault) and they cannot score that way.

If you want to learn how to defeat kicks with hands, go to a Kenpo or open tournament and watch the Kenpo guys. They are great with their hands.

Point sparring is not fighting. It is a game of tag. Your techniques do not need power or penetration; they need speed and light touch. Train for that and you will find yourself winning matches.

RELAX. Have fun. Tense muscles can be powerful but they are SLOW. Relaxed muscles are fast.

Good luck!

Latest Discussions