Free mini course thoughts and advice

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a mixed martial artist.

I have benn doing martial arts my whole life, and I recently wanted to share some supplemental training courses with the world.

I am currently working on the full out courses, but I decided to start with a free mini course first. My idea is to give those who are serous about training some tips and tricks. Stuff that would help them if they started a full course.

I just put it together, and I am looking for some feed back from all of you.

It is a 7 day course. Would you mind testing it out for me?

Then please list what you liked and didn't like about it.

Note; It is all reading and mindset. Not actual techniques.

https://www.totalcombatives.com/courses

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a tip for you,

Tip#1, know your audience.
Many of the posters here have been training longer than you have been alive.

Tip#2, you can't BS your way to success.
You kinda brushed over your credentials.
While credentials are not the most important thing, they do give a good hint into who you are and the level of instruction that can be expected.
Especially here, your background will have a large impact on how people respond to you.
If you are portraying your self as an expert be prepared to be challenged on that.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your profile says you don't even know your style...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm going to agree with @hoshin1600 saying "know your audience." You're coming in, as an outsider, and just here to puff up your own articles.

Then, when given legitimate criticism, you misquote his profile and use it as a personal attack, completely ignoring his legitimate criticisms.

Maybe try participating in the conversations instead of trying to spin them to get clicks on your site?

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Again!

Im not trying to get clicks to my site!

I am asking your opinion of the content. I want to improve myself and my material. Is that not something we encourage on this site?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again!

Im not trying to get clicks to my site!

I am asking your opinion of the content. I want to improve myself and my material. Is that not something we encourage on this site?

You're literally trying to get us to click on your site. Other posts you've made are copy+paste from your site, with a link to your site. It's quite clearly advertising for your site. You're insulting our intelligence by thinking we can't see through it.

You're also insulting our intelligence when you post crap like this:

I want to improve myself and my material. Is that not something we encourage on this site?

You're arguing like a teenager. You're being passive-aggressive. We're giving you suggestions on improving your attitude. I have no reason to want to help you improve your material, because to be perfectly blunt: I don't like you so far. I like @hoshin1600 , and you've insulted him. Maybe I'd like a version of you that isn't so aggressive in pushing your site or lashing out at those who are established on this site. You're an outsider coming in. Instead of seeming like someone who's here to learn, you've been a bulldozer. I'm willing to give you that chance. But if you continue to be aggressive about your site, and a jerk to those I like on this site, then I have no reason to want to help you.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You're literally trying to get us to click on your site. Other posts you've made are copy+paste from your site, with a link to your site. It's quite clearly advertising for your site. You're insulting our intelligence by thinking we can't see through it.

You're also insulting our intelligence when you post crap like this:

You're arguing like a teenager. You're being passive-aggressive. We're giving you suggestions on improving your attitude. I have no reason to want to help you improve your material, because to be perfectly blunt: I don't like you so far. I like @hoshin1600 , and you've insulted him. Maybe I'd like a version of you that isn't so aggressive in pushing your site or lashing out at those who are established on this site. You're an outsider coming in. Instead of seeming like someone who's here to learn, you've been a bulldozer. I'm willing to give you that chance. But if you continue to be aggressive about your site, and a jerk to those I like on this site, then I have no reason to want to help you.

Look, I'm sorry for coming off that way!

I mean no disrespect. I apologize for

#1 necroposting (which I didn't know was a thing but do now)

And

#2 coming off as a salesman for my site (I really am just wanting to test my material.)

I hate forum fights, and want to avoid them.

Please both of you forgive me for starting off wrong.

I am sorry.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look, I'm sorry for coming off that way!

I mean no disrespect. I apologize for

#1 necroposting (which I didn't know was a thing but do now)

And

#2 coming off as a salesman for my site (I really am just wanting to test my material.)

I hate forum fights, and want to avoid them.

Please both of you forgive me for starting off wrong.

I am sorry.
Another option would be if you have specific questions about your articles or videos, we could help with those.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
No my profile says I began training in 1978. And I didn't feel there was enough space to list everything, nor would anyone be interested in reading it. Its not what I do now so for the most part its irrelevant. But you brought it up so...
  • Kempo karate
  • Goju ryu
  • Tae Kwon do
  • Aikido
  • Uechi Ryu
  • BJJ
  • Jiki Shinkage Kamshima Shinden Ryu
  • Combatives and defensive tactics training
And more seminars than I can count.
Hell i met and did a seminar with the official Kyudo teacher to the Emperor of Japan.

But none of that matters. The point is your asking for feed back and I have a choice, do I treat you like someone who is just starting out, point out a few things, tell you to keep training and wish you the best or do I treat you like the professional your professing and trying to be and tear your stuff up. I already know the answer but thats why i/ we ask about your training. You had not made enough posts for us to know your level of training yet.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No my profile says I began training in 1978. And I didn't feel there was enough space to list everything, nor would anyone be interested in reading it. Its not what I do now so for the most part its irrelevant. But you brought it up so...
  • Kempo karate
  • Goju ryu
  • Tae Kwon do
  • Aikido
  • Uechi Ryu
  • BJJ
  • Jiki Shinkage Kamshima Shinden Ryu
  • Combatives and defensive tactics training
And more seminars than I can count.
Hell i met and did a seminar with the official Kyudo teacher to the Emperor of Japan.

But none of that matters. The point is your asking for feed back and I have a choice, do I treat you like someone who is just starting out, point out a few things, tell you to keep training and wish you the best or do I treat you like the professional your professing and trying to be and tear your stuff up. I already know the answer but thats why i/ we ask about your training. You had not made enough posts for us to know your level of training yet.

And I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot, and disrespecting you. Please forgive me.

And give me a chance to prove myself and earn your friendship.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot, and disrespecting you. Please forgive me.

And give me a chance to prove myself and earn your friendship.
This still doesn't actually answer the question about what your martial and professional (in any capacity) martial experience is.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This still doesn't actually answer the question about what your martial and professional (in any capacity) martial experience is.

I'm not sure where to start to be honest.

Taekwondo (ITF)
Taekwondo (WTF)
Shotokan Karate
Kan zen ryu Karate
Muay Thai
Krav Maga
American Nunchaku
Are the systems that I have had formal training in.

I have done these as well, but none of the systems rank.

Kali
CFA
The B.E.T system
The widow maker program
And FBI SWAT training.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Taekwondo (ITF)
Taekwondo (WTF)
Shotokan Karate
Kan zen ryu Karate
Muay Thai
Krav Maga
American Nunchaku

Kali
CFA
The B.E.T system
The widow maker program
And FBI SWAT training.

I teach self-defense. I shy from teaching one particular style. I see pros and cons in every style I practice, although I respect them all.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I teach self-defense. I shy from teaching one particular style. I see pros and cons in every style I practice, although I respect them all.

Isn't this what you were giving @hoshin1600 a hard time for saying in his profile?

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He was saying that I didn't give my background. I was only pointing out that he didn't either. My aim was not to give him a hard time bit to point out that he didn't either.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was saying that I didn't give my background. I was only pointing out that he didn't either. My aim was not to give him a hard time bit to point out that he didn't either.

But he's not running a blog. He's posting as a member on a forum. By running a blog where you write articles, you are declaring yourself an authority on the subject. He isn't.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nobody is an authority on martial arts. A certain style maybe, but not the whole. Anybody who would claim to be an authority on martial arts as a whole is an idiot.

That is why I don't claim authority.

So, I'm at a hold up there. How do you recommend that I go about that. And please., that is an honest question. I mean no guile in it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Taekwondo (ITF)
Taekwondo (WTF)
Shotokan Karate
Kan zen ryu Karate
Muay Thai
Krav Maga
American Nunchaku

Kali
CFA
The B.E.T system
The widow maker program
And FBI SWAT training.

Welcome to Martial Talk, Taipan. Hope you enjoy it.

Where did you do your FBI SWAT training?

Latest Discussions