Forms

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...
which forms if any were you taught or do you teach?

Forms in JKD? There are no forms in JKD.

As for the rest of my training, Traditional Yang style (multiple forms), some Chen, some Wu and some Sun, some CMC Taijiquan. Xingyiquan, some Baguazhang, some Wing Chun, some Shaolin Long fist. and a few TKD forms too, and there may be some I forgot.... I have no idea how many forms I have learned over the years... a lot that is all I know

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to a JKD school for an incredibly brief period of time (less than a month). But I do remember that the teacher there informed me they do not have any forms in JKD (or at least that JKD style/branch).

brazilusa

White Belt
Reaction score
I went to a JKD school for an incredibly brief period of time (less than a month). But I do remember that the teacher there informed me they do not have any forms in JKD (or at least that JKD style/branch).
Depending on when they learned, usually. Early years sometimes still retain Sil Lum Tao from Wing Chun. A lot of drills and padwork from my experience. Often with the wooden dummy.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...no direct answers

So no one here even learned the tradition Jeet Kune Do form Ung Moon?

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im not sure what the origin of Ung Moon is to be honest.

Its almost shocking none of us got the same JKD

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm...no direct answers

So no one here even learned the tradition Jeet Kune Do form Ung Moon?
"Five Gates", maybe.

Wing Chun blocks can vary between schools anywhere from 5 basic (ng mun) to over a dozen+. Jeet Kuen Do sustained some number of those basic blocks.

Most of them end in "sao" but not all, in Wing Chun. JKD dropped the "sao" part, because of America.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Im not sure what the origin of Ung Moon is to be honest.

Its almost shocking none of us got the same JKD

I'm not. There is the group that teaches what Bruce Lee taught and then there is the group that teaches based on philosophy which does add things along the way.

As for aa JKD form; Have you read anything Bruce Lee wrote? A form in JKD is the antithesis of anything Bruce Lee said or did as far as JKD is concerned

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not. There is the group that teaches what Bruce Lee taught and then there is the group that teaches based on philosophy which does add things along the way.

As for aa JKD form; Have you read anything Bruce Lee wrote? A form in JKD is the antithesis of anything Bruce Lee said or did as far as JKD is concerned

Yes, I've read some of the material Bruce Lee has written. I don't follow him word for word, although I agree with and have benefited a lot from things he wrote down.

From the sounds of what you are saying, its easy to say we were given different curriculums under the same name. Not a big deal in my eyes.

You sound like someone who enjoys the original/classic version of JKD.

I guess from your perspective I would have an altered/modified version of the JKD curriculum.

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

So you were taught no forms what so ever while learning JKD?

OP
SuperSnakeCrane87

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Five Gates", maybe.

Wing Chun blocks can vary between schools anywhere from 5 basic (ng mun) to over a dozen+. Jeet Kuen Do sustained some number of those basic blocks.

Most of them end in "sao" but not all, in Wing Chun. JKD dropped the "sao" part, because of America.

Different people call things different names because they have different approaches/life expiriences

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, I've read some of the material Bruce Lee has written. I don't follow him word for word, although I agree with and have benefited a lot from things he wrote down.

From the sounds of what you are saying, its easy to say we were given different curriculums under the same name. Not a big deal in my eyes.

You sound like someone who enjoys the original/classic version of JKD.

I guess from your perspective I would have an altered/modified version of the JKD curriculum.

I have briefly trained on both sides, what Bruce taught and concepts, I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. But one thing that seems to be a core belief in JKD is using no form as a form. So a standardized JKD form seems highly unlikely. Never heard of it from Bruce Lee or any of the first generation JKD folks

Latest Discussions