Forgotten History

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes history does not have to be all that long ago to be forgotten. This aspect of the battle between the Peasant and the Lord has been seriously 'under-reported' for a very long time. I had vaguely heard of it as part and parcel of the whole era of clearances and 'land reform' but had not realised that the military had been used as a heavy hand to keep the unruly unwashed down:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22553418

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It puts me in mind of imminent domain, federal gov't land rushes to encourage settlement of the plains states (and a resulting landed gentry of sorts) and the sixties protests with events like Kent State (not sure why that weaves into this in my mind but I suspect it is the concept of overwhelming government force in the face of the little man). Kind of a stream of consciousness post, I realize. I suspect most of us don't really contemplate the awesome power of government until it is directed at us. To bring this back in line, I believe that a major part of the United States history of territorial settlement is a tale of government power used unabashedly to the benefit of those who desired land and the fruits of access to it. This is outside the entire discussion of wresting land from native populations throughout the world. I believe that we then get into issues of "Manifest Destiny" and the vast disparities of technology in cultural clashes.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suspect most of us don't really contemplate the awesome power of government until it is directed at us.

This was one of the founding elements of the American Constitution. This was the reason why there were so many checks and balances built into the American government. It's fascinating how fast people in power chafed against those bonds. Even the Founding Fathers themselves found ways to get around them!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This was one of the founding elements of the American Constitution. This was the reason why there were so many checks and balances built into the American government. It's fascinating how fast people in power chafed against those bonds. Even the Founding Fathers themselves found ways to get around them!

It is ever thus, and hence the need for vigilance among the governed (when they are not playing video games).