Floating Elbow Theory-Applied

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
In this video I show how the "Floating Elbow" can be applied in a simple direct manner..Which is a follow up to my original video "Floating Elbow Theory".

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You really should put up this video fist. The purpose of your floating elbow is clear to understand in this video. You just use your floating elbow to deflect an incoming straight punch, you then punch back at the same time.

I like to use my Tang Shou to "bounce" my opponent's incoming straight punch. Instead of using a sharp 90 degree angle, you just use a smooth circle. But the goal is all the same. I use it as a "metal strategy". You use it as a "water strategy".

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
You really should put up this video fist. The purpose of your floating elbow is clear to understand in this video. You just use your floating elbow to deflect an incoming straight punch, you then punch back at the same time.

I like to use my Tang Shou to "bounce" my opponent's incoming straight punch. Instead of using a sharp 90 degree angle, you just use a smooth circle. But the goal is all the same. I use it as a "metal strategy". You use it as a "water strategy".
Ok Cool..I like to see your method. I will make some other videos to show a more complex way of using the Floating Elbow..

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to get unreal here but...."floating elbow theory"?

You've got me hooked, master of the Fut Sao. What do you know about really, really, big birds, and kung fu?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In this video I show how the "Floating Elbow" can be applied in a simple direct manner..Which is a follow up to my original video "Floating Elbow Theory".
Glad you posted this. It clears things up a lot. At least as much as a video alone without "crossing bridges" can.

What you are doing appears a lot like the "elastic" or "springy" energy used by in the lineage I trained ...that is if your arm and body movement are maintaining forward pressure and compressing and moving in response to the pressure of the incoming punch... essentially a soft and flexible interpretation of Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung.

On the other hand, if you are releasing your forward pressure and using your own force while pulling your own arm back with your "floating elbow" ...then you are not working with the same energy that I have trained.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad you posted this. It clears things up a lot. At least as much as a video alone without "crossing bridges" can.

What you are doing appears a lot like the "elastic" or "springy" energy used by in the lineage I trained ...that is if your arm and body movement are maintaining forward pressure and compressing and moving in response to the pressure of the incoming punch... essentially a soft and flexible interpretation of Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung.

On the other hand, if you are releasing your forward pressure and using your own force while pulling your own arm back with your "floating elbow" ...then you are not working with the same energy that I have trained.
NO, Am not doing what you are saying. Am not using forward energy or compressing as you say.I allow the force to travel to its target, I do not stop it ..I simple go with his force then redirect it with my floating elbow. its like an exchange of Yin and Yang. I dont impose my force on my opponent.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NO, Am not doing what you are saying. Am not using forward energy or compressing as you say.I allow the force to travel to its target, I do not stop it ..I simple go with his force then redirect it with my floating elbow. its like an exchange of Yin and Yang. I dont impose my force on my opponent.
Nope. Perhaps we are not understanding each other?

I'm not talking about "imposing my force". Not at all. The forward "springy energy" I'm referencing can be very yin ...soft and yielding. But if you have no forward pressure, that is, if you just follow their energy, you 1. cannot borrow their force, and 2. if instead of receiving their energy, you try to follow their movement you are essentially "chasing hands". In this case, if your hand is freed, you do not automatically spring forward to their center (lat sau jik chung).

Another way to look at "springy energy" is to consider what a spring is even a very soft spring. It is a simple energy storage device. When you press into a spring it bends or compresses and yields (yin) and then when freed it snaps back and recycles the energy it received.

If your tan-sau softly compresses and your body turns aside receiving energy then you are borrowing power which can be recycled and returned to the sender. It also the lyrics to a great old song!

Now I never studied the WSL lineage, so my understanding of "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" may be a little different than theirs. We have another saying that may clarify this:

1. First you get rid of your own force.
2. Then you get rid of your opponent's force.
3. And only then can you learn to borrow their force.

To this some, such as Emin Boztepe have added:

4. Then add back in your own force!

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here. Below is my comment in your other thread,

Floating Elbow Theory​

I think the name "Floating Elbow theory" is what is throwing people off. As I watch the video you put up it is no more then the proper way to preform sticky hands with a partner. (Adhere. follow, redirect) your partner, is all done within our open hand... "blocking"... techniques.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Perhaps we are not understanding each other?

I'm not talking about "imposing my force". Not at all. The forward "springy energy" I'm referencing can be very yin ...soft and yielding. But if you have no forward pressure, that is, if you just follow their energy, you 1. cannot borrow their force, and 2. if instead of receiving their energy, you try to follow their movement you are essentially "chasing hands". In this case, if your hand is freed, you do not automatically spring forward to their center (lat sau jik chung).

Another way to look at "springy energy" is to consider what a spring is even a very soft spring. It is a simple energy storage device. When you press into a spring it bends or compresses and yields (yin) and then when freed it snaps back and recycles the energy it received.

If your tan-sau softly compresses and your body turns aside receiving energy then you are borrowing power which can be recycled and returned to the sender. It also the lyrics to a great old song!

Now I never studied the WSL lineage, so my understanding of "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" may be a little different than theirs. We have another saying that may clarify this:

1. First you get rid of your own force.
2. Then you get rid of your opponent's force.
3. And only then can you learn to borrow their force.

To this some, such as Emin Boztepe have added:

4. Then add back in your own force!
I would have to see someone doing what your saying, perhaps its similar. I dont follow the hand i just let my oppoent move my hand..Kind of like hitch'in a ride then when hes at his full yang I recyle it.. kind of like push hands..I have a few other basic drills i do to show the floating elbow..unfortunately, YouTube suspended my acount so I cant upload any more videos..I will have to try to open a new one if they let me..

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to see someone doing what your saying, perhaps its similar. I dont follow the hand i just let my oppoent move my hand..Kind of like hitch'in a ride then when hes at his full yang I recyle it.. kind of like push hands..I have a few other basic drills i do to show the floating elbow..unfortunately, YouTube suspended my acount so I cant upload any more videos..I will have to try to open a new one if they let me..
Were you misbehaving?
Suspended means temporary, and your account will reopen when you've been suspended for however long the YouTube people decreed.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Were you misbehaving?
Suspended means temporary, and your account will reopen when you've been suspended for however long the YouTube people decreed.
I've received a letter from Google..It's permanent..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have to see someone doing what your saying, perhaps its similar. I don't follow the hand i just let my opponent move my hand..Kind of like hitch'in a ride then when hes at his full yang I recyle it.. kind of like push hands..
^^^^ This (the bolded section above) is what I'm talkin' about!

This is what we try to train with our soft, "springy energy" ....you stick to your opponent's bridge with flexible forward "spring" and let your opponent's heavy, "yang" energy press and move your arm "like hitchin' a ride" ....so your opponent actually makes your defense ...in a sense he defeats himself if you do it right! Then your arm snaps free and gives his borrowed force back to him. "Recycling."

This concept was shared with my old sifu by the aging Yip Man. So the idea you are working with, if not the specific details, is deeply rooted in old Wing Chun. :cool:

I have a few other basic drills i do to show the floating elbow..unfortunately, YouTube suspended my acount so I cant upload any more videos..I will have to try to open a new one if they let me..
Bad YouTube! :mad:

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^^ This (the bolded section above) is what I'm talkin' about!

This is what we try to train with our soft, "springy energy" ....you stick to your opponent's bridge with flexible forward "spring" and let your opponent's heavy, "yang" energy press and move your arm "like hitchin' a ride" ....so your opponent actually makes your defense ...in a sense he defeats himself if you do it right! Then your arm snaps free and gives his borrowed force back to him. "Recycling."

This concept was shared with my old sifu by the aging Yip Man. So the idea you are working with, if not the specific details, is deeply rooted in old Wing Chun. :cool:

Bad YouTube! :mad:
That's great then I guess am still doing Wing Chun. :)

BTW off topic but any fans of the Cobra Kai Netflix show..Just watched all of season 4 in 1 day great cliff hanger at the end.. Am addicted to that show..It stink have to wait a whole year for season 5

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just said I broke communities guidelines..
Hey Futsao- I was just watching some stuff on YouTube and came across short video by Paul Fernandez who trained under my old sifu.

Some of Paul's movement here reminded me a little of what you show in video posted above about "floating elbow" application. It's short enough to watch the whole thing, but I was especially referring to the section from about 2:20 to 3:00.

Watch how his arm and body relax, flex and turn slightly to absorb and then release the energy received. Unfortunately, the action takes place on the far side of his body away from the camera, but you can still get a sense for the movement.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Wing Tchun". Errgh.
Well, the branch he studied used the romanization, Wing Tsun, but they copyrighted that spelling so anyone breaking away from their European WT organization (EWTO) had to change the spelling. Many of these instructors wanted to still use the letters "WT" to indicate their specific lineage but changed the spelling to avoid legal problems. This resulted in some really bizarre spellings! :p

Here in the states, the guy I was associated with was hit by a really nasty and expensive lawsuit when he continued using the WT name. So he switched to calling his stuff "Ving Tsun" as GM Yip Man had done.

When I left his organization, I decided just to use:
1641234125021.png

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the branch he studied used the romanization, Wing Tsun, but they copyrighted that spelling so anyone breaking away from their European WT organization (EWTO) had to change the spelling. Many of these instructors wanted to still use the letters "WT" to indicate their specific lineage but changed the spelling to avoid legal problems. This resulted in some really bizarre spellings! :p

Here in the states, the guy I was associated with was hit by a really nasty and expensive lawsuit when he continued using the WT name. So he switched to calling his stuff "Ving Tsun" as GM Yip Man had done.

When I left his organization, I decided just to use: View attachment 27885
It's my own private uncanny valley, I know a dozen pronunciations of springtime, and some of these romanizations just sound wrong.

The closest to "Tchun" is Wu or Middle Chinese and would sound more like "tshen", but even that doesn't match up.

I've noticed Wing Chun schools run by Chinese people never have this problem.

Latest Discussions