Flip - Flop

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay ... here's a premise, list a prominant flip flop by a political figure. Might I suggest we try and keep the discussions down and just post the ridiculous, contradictory statements that some of these folks make.

So, for example:

John Kerry - "I actually did vote for the $87 Billion before I voted against it."
3/17/2004 - New York Times

I realize, this may be the equivelent of yelling 'Food Fight' in a Junior high caf, but it may also be a bit humorous.

S

Spud

[font=&quot]Bush on Patient's Bill of Rights: As Texas Governor he vetoed the Texas Health Care Liability Act in 1997. The veto was overturned and the act became law with out Bush’s signature. We move to Oct 17, 2000 when debating Gore, Bush proclaimed…"If I'm the president . . . people will be able to take their HMO insurance company to court .... That's what I've done in Texas and that's the kind of leadership style I'll bring to Washington" Bush takes credit for a bill he vetoed and later refused to sign. Then in March of 2004 the Bush administration’s Justice Department was asking the Supreme Court to block lawsuits und the Texas law Bush touted in the 2000 debates.

Veto bill > veto overturned > bill becomes law without Bush's signature
2000 Election > claim ownership of same law during debates
2004> Have DOJ fight same law in Supreme Court.

Somebody please pass the syrup.
[/font]

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Okay ... here's a premise, list a prominant flip flop by a political figure. Might I suggest we try and keep the discussions down and just post the ridiculous, contradictory statements that some of these folks make.

So, for example:

John Kerry - "I actually did vote for the $87 Billion before I voted against it."
3/17/2004 - New York Times

I realize, this may be the equivelent of yelling 'Food Fight' in a Junior high caf, but it may also be a bit humorous.

It is, until you understand the context. His first vote was for a version of the bill that was funded. His final vote against it was because the final version was unfunded.

S

Spud

[font=&quot]Not sure if it is a flop or purely disingenuous. Any major political figure going out of his way to spend quality time with delegates from New Hampshire and Iowa while loudly proclaiming that they are solely focused on their candidate for 2004. Either party, either convention. [/font]

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
It is, until you understand the context. His first vote was for a version of the bill that was funded. His final vote against it was because the final version was unfunded.
I understand that .... as most flip-flops can be explained .... as Senator Kerry said to Don Imus, "It's complicated.".

T

Tkang_TKD

AaronLucia said:
But even better!

President Clinton:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

:p
All that money spent only to result in an aquittal....LOL I wonder what would have happened if we could spent all those tax payer dollars on going after Bin Laden....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alan Keys bashing of Hillary "The Real President" Clinton, claiming he would never run in state he did not live in.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FLIP....

"The cost of one attack on 9/11 was far greater than what we’re spending in Iraq." -- Dick Cheney

FLOP

The City of New York said the 9/11 attacks will cost the city between $83 billion to $95 billion. As of May 2004, the funds appropriated and requested for Iraq totalled $152 billion and are likely to approach $200 billion by the end of fiscal 2005.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The City of New York said the 9/11 attacks will cost the city between $83 billion to $95 billion. As of May 2004, the funds appropriated and requested for Iraq totalled $152 billion and are likely to approach $200 billion by the end of fiscal 2005.

not to mention cost in american lives...which is gaining on the loss of lives from sept. 11...especially with the "never-ending war on terror"

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flip Flop Flip.

(Then) GOVERNOR BUSH VETOES PATIENTS' RIGHT TO SUE... "Despite his campaign rhetoric in favor of a patients' bill of rights, Bush fought such a bill tooth and nail as Texas governor, vetoing a bill coauthored by Republican state Rep. John Smithee in 1995. He... constantly opposed a patient's right to sue an HMO over coverage denied that resulted in adverse health effects." [Salon, 2/7/01]

...CANDIDATE BUSH PRAISES TEXAS PATIENTS' RIGHT TO SUE... "We're one of the first states that said you can sue an HMO for denying you proper coverage... It's time for our nation to come together and do what's right for the people. And I think this is right for the people. You know, I support a national patients' bill of rights, Mr. Vice President. And I want all people covered. I don't want the law to supersede good law like we've got in Texas." [Governor Bush, 10/17/00]

...PRESIDENT BUSH'S ADMINISTRATION ARGUES AGAINST RIGHT TO SUE "To let two Texas consumers, Juan Davila and Ruby R. Calad, sue their managed-care companies for wrongful denials of medical benefits ‘would be to completely undermine' federal law regulating employee benefits, Assistant Solicitor General James A. Feldman said at oral argument March 23. Moreover, the administration's brief attacked the policy rationale for Texas's law, which is similar to statutes on the books in nine other states." [Washington Post, 4/5/04]

Regards,

Steve

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This one is from the Slate Chatterbox, which most recently exposed the Schwartzeneger exaggerations......

John Kerry voted for the 'HELMS-BURTON' legislation before he voted against the 'HELMS-BURTON' legislation.

The 'Helms-Burton' legislation was an effort to tighten sanctions against Cuba.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bush to NBC News: “I don’t think you can win” the war on terror

Bush to the American Legion: "make no mistake about it, we are winning and we will win.”

Powell to United Nations: "Every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources..."

Powell to LA Times: “it appears not to be the case that it was that solid.”

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"This is about imminent threat." White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 2/10/03, on Iraq.

"Some in the media have chosen to use the word 'imminent'. Those were not words we used." White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 1/2004

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Kerry on meet the press: "We should spend as many billions of dollars [in Iraq} as it takes to win."

Kerry at a campaign meeting today: "We're spending too much money on Iraq!"

Kerry 12 days ago said he would have voted for the war in Iraq even if he knew everything he did now.

Kerry 2 days ago said Iraq was the wrong war, at the wrong time.

M

Melissa426

The first President Bush ca. 1988 "Read my lips, no new taxes."

How long did that promise actually last? I don't remember the actual quotes, but I do remember the jokes that were made when he had to flip-flop on that pledge.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
Kerry 12 days ago said he would have voted for the war in Iraq even if he knew everything he did now.
That is NOT what Kerry said. What he said was that he would have voted to give the President the authority to go to war. His exact quote was this:

"Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it was the right authority for a president to have."

He also said this: "it was wrong to rush to war without building a true international coalition and with no plan to win the peace."

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
That is NOT what Kerry said. What he said was that he would have voted to give the President the authority to go to war. His exact quote was this:

"Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it was the right authority for a president to have."

He also said this: "it was wrong to rush to war without building a true international coalition and with no plan to win the peace."
All true ... I just wish our Congress would remember that by voting to give Authority to the President, they abdicated their responsibility. Under the United States Constitution, Congress Shall have the Powers to Declare War (Article I Section 8).

Of course, this is not just a slam at Kerry & Edwards ... but all Congresses after 1945.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of Congress, Michael.

But it also burns me when people misquote for the purpose of changing the nuances of meaning.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
Kerry on meet the press: "We should spend as many billions of dollars [in Iraq} as it takes to win."

Kerry at a campaign meeting today: "We're spending too much money on Iraq!"

That's not a flip-flop.