Fixed number of classes for a belt?

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking into a school for BJJ because it really interests me andI came across a school around me that is fairly reputable (I won't mention the name out of respect for them) yet while looking through their brazilian jiu-jitsu section I noticed it says "When a student demonstrates that he or she has reached a certain amount of classes they will be evaluated for a promotion. As a general rule, white belts can expect to advance approximately every 30 classes attended." Does this sound fishy to you? Assuming someone trained 5 times a week-and from what I hear that's not uncommon-they would reach a blue belt in 6 weeks. I frequently hear that 1 1/2 years is the minimum for the most part.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends what "evaluated" means. If it just means minimal eligibility, that's fine.
I agree...

There's also a difference between training 5 times a week, and attending a class five times a week. They may have only 2 classes a week -- but open mat times the other days for those who want to practice some more.

One more thought... How many belts/promotions do they have? They might have several sub-grades between white and blue belt.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I frequently hear that 1 1/2 years is the minimum for the most part.

this is kind of the catch. i know one guy who trained for over two years & took 2nd in the arnold nationals white belt division which had 18 competitors. he still didn't get his blue for another year. i've also talked to guys who train in brazil & say they get their blue in about 6 months. 6 weeks does seem quick, but it all depends on what the blue belt is supposed to mean.

also, as jks9199 hinted at, it may be 6 weeks to your first stripe, which does seem reasonable.

jf

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's also a difference between training 5 times a week, and attending a class five times a week. They may have only 2 classes a week -- but open mat times the other days for those who want to practice some more.

One more thought... How many belts/promotions do they have? They might have several sub-grades between white and blue belt.

Both good points! Where I trained they used four stripes per belt because the time between promotions was so long.

this is kind of the catch. i know one guy who trained for over two years & took 2nd in the arnold nationals white belt division which had 18 competitors. he still didn't get his blue for another year. i've also talked to guys who train in brazil & say they get their blue in about 6 months.

I too have heard it's more like 6 months in Brazil. The person who took 2nd in the Arnold Nationals white belt division may have been "sandbagging"--intentionally hanging out at a lower belt level to better his odds of winning.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike the idea of any martial art saying you will get your belt in X number of months, weeks, or classes. This to me is selling or buying of the belt not achieving the knowledge and proficency to earn it

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike the idea of any martial art saying you will get your belt in X number of months, weeks, or classes. This to me is selling or buying of the belt not achieving the knowledge and proficency to earn it

In every dojo/ dojang I ever visited or trained the amount of classes meant nothing.Advancement was based on how well you learned the techniques and applied them..I trained with one guy who picked thing up so fast it was scary, even the Sensei was amazed..

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
In every dojo/ dojang I ever visited or trained the amount of classes meant nothing.Advancement was based on how well you learned the techniques and applied them..I trained with one guy who picked thing up so fast it was scary, even the Sensei was amazed..
I agree. I also knew a guy that caught on fast as well and amazed everyone.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You and I are in absolute agreement on this!
icon14.gif
Back in the day in BJJ it took quite a long time to advance. Times are a changing a little bit as money is coming into play more and more.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both good points! Where I trained they used four stripes per belt because the time between promotions was so long.

I too have heard it's more like 6 months in Brazil. The person who took 2nd in the Arnold Nationals white belt division may have been "sandbagging"--intentionally hanging out at a lower belt level to better his odds of winning.
Y'know... in a competition setting, when I catch someone clearly sandbagging like that, I'll either disqualify them or move them to the appropriate category. Or maybe even the next category up...

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Y'know... in a competition setting, when I catch someone clearly sandbagging like that, I'll either disqualify them or move them to the appropriate category. Or maybe even the next category up...
Ya would do the same.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

sandbagging is a huge problem, but in this guy's case he wanted his blue & didn't know why his instructor held him back so long. IIRC, that was the only bjj tournament he ever did.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a general rule, white belts can expect to advance approximately every 30 classes attended." Does this sound fishy to you?
It depends what they mean by advance. If they mean possibly getting a strip, then that seems sensible. If they mean a new belt than yeah that sounds a little strange.

icon14.gif
Back in the day in BJJ it took quite a long time to advance. Times are a changing a little bit as money is coming into play more and more.
I remember this, and while I have no doubt that money may be a factor is some cases, I think part of the reason people advance faster now days may have to do with increased access to higher level instructors and training partners. I know that when I was training in a school run by a blue belt everyone progressed really slow, but when I started having regular access to brown and black belts I improved a lot quicker.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a general rule, white belts can expect to advance approximately every 30 classes attended." Does this sound fishy to you?
It depends what they mean by advance. If they mean possibly getting a strip, then that seems sensible. If they mean a new belt than yeah that sounds a little strange.

icon14.gif
I remember this, and while I have no doubt that money may be a factor is some cases, I think part of the reason people advance faster now days may have to do with increased access to higher level instructors and training partners. I know that when I was training in a school run by a blue belt everyone progressed really slow, but when I started having regular access to brown and black belts I improved a lot quicker.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, blue belt is acheived usually when the sudent can show proficiency in the basics...usually fairly quickly, maybe 8 months to a year, but getting to the other belt levels takes a lot longer. Am I wrong? In my class it takes about 6 to 8 months for blue, but we don't even have any purple belts. And yes they do promote according to the amount of time you train, but they won't promote you if you don't show you can hold your own on the mat...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At some schools it's when you can regularly defeat other blue belts--not more than half the time, but enough that the instructor notices. A rule of thumb I've heard before is that if you beat three different blue belts (once each) within a reasonable time period (perhaps a week if you roll several times a week), you're ready.

Latest Discussions