Feedback on local BJJ schools

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. You may have seen from other threads that I've recently moved to the Phoenix area (NW Mesa specifically) and I'm about to start looking at schools.

BJJ is on the list of arts I'm considering but there are so many schools in the area that it's tough to know where to start and I'm trying to shorten the list. I've had some minimal exposure to BJJ and I've got some background in grappling but I don't know who's who in BJJ outside of some of the really big names. I've got a list of places that are near by that look like they have pretty good programs but I'd love your feedback if you think any of these are really great or if anything really stands out. I'm also open to other suggestions if I've missed something you think is amazing. Many of these schools offer some number of free classes, often a week, and I'd like to make good use of my time by trying out the best places first so I'd love your feedback.

My current short list:

Gracie West Mesa - Currently the first BJJ place I intend to visit unless I hear a lot of feedback pointing me somewhere else. They're very close to my house, their schedule is a good fit for mine, and I've heard good things about the Gracie Combatives program. The instructors don't seem to have as big a reputation as some of the others on my list but I don't know how much that matters.

Roots Brazilian Jiu Jitsu And Fitness - Gilbert AZ Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

HOME | 10thplanetphx - in general I'm slightly more interested in no gi than gi BJJ, but I don't know that I want to train no gi exclusively.

THE PREMIER BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU (BJJ) ACADEMY IN ARIZONA | Tempe Martial Arts & Fitness - this is a little farther than the rest but I've heard good things about this school so it made the list.

I'll probably also check out the "Megaton" Dias school which is a little farther than I might prefer to drive but I keep having it recommended to me.

Thanks!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If they're close to you and have a schedule that fits your schedule - that's half the battle of Martial training right there.

I say give them a shot. Or....

Contact all of them and see what they charge. That could come in to play.

What I'd stay away from is the furthest ones away. That doesn't usually work out well, unless you're young, rich and crazy. :)

OP
MetalBoar

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
If they're close to you and have a schedule that fits your schedule - that's half the battle of Martial training right there.

I say give them a shot. Or....

Contact all of them and see what they charge. That could come in to play.

What I'd stay away from is the furthest ones away. That doesn't usually work out well, unless you're young, rich and crazy. :)
Yeah, I think that's good advice. The Gracie school is a 5 minute drive from my house and that's hard to argue with and their schedule is good for me. Unless someone tells me it's a tragic mistake I think I'll start my BJJ exploration there. The only "downside" is that I'd pass this fantastic little hole in the wall tortas and tacos shop both coming and going. I might eat more calories than I'd burn in the training!

While running errands earlier today I was very near another (non BJJ) school that I've been interested in. It's about a 30-35 minute drive one way and I was really thinking to myself I might not want to do that 3-4 times a week unless the place was significantly better than the schools that are right down the street.

Latest Discussions