First Tournament

CrazyEyes

White Belt
Reaction score
Well guys despite being in class for only two weeks I went to my first tournament at my dojang on friday night. I was the only white belt that was there (I competed in forms and sparring)...It was only me and an other student in my division (he's two belts above me, but I didn't have anything to lose).

-Results-
I got first in forms. I've been practicing my form daily...I never knew they could be so much fun :D

I placed second in sparring. I was sort of nervous at first but I got used to it. I asked the judges what I should improve on and it was making sure I kicked above the waist. One of then said my kicks were really good and I need to use them more and make sure I get them higher, because I missed out on a few points because they were below the belt :(

Conclusion:
-I had a TON of fun, everyone was really nice and I'm very satisfied with how I did. Since I started the class I've been training every day working with the higher ranking students after class, minus a couple of days before the tournament. I learned a lot, and there's some kicks I know I want to work on so I can do better, as I only know side, front, and round. I can't wait till our next tournament so I can do better. The only bad sides are I sprained my big toe (its just about healed) cuz I kicked wrong, and my shin was swollen.

But to put a long story short, I'M HOOKED!!! :D.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!

Spend as much time with the four basic kicks because everything else is just a derivation (front, side, turning, back). The better you are at these the better everything else will be in your career!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's always nice to see perseverance pay off like that.

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!!! To only be in it for 2 weeks and get first above someone whos been in it quite a bit longer then you is a great accomplishment!!!
Glad to hear you had fun.
The height will come (its a common problem with white belts). Keep up the good work!

Latest Discussions