First thing you wanted to learn

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started with shoot fighting so the first thing i wanted to learn was the basic positions and submissions but then again I had a few Neverlast kick bags that I destroyed & wasted my money on till I found an eagle trading co heavy bag so i already new how to kick and punch pretty well. If it wasn't for the bag training I might have been more interested in the striking part (kick boxing) that the school taught along side of the shoot fighting.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently I answered this thread elsewhere, but I can't find what I said! At any rate, the only "first thing" I wanted to learn was...wing chun. After hearing Bruce Lee started with it, I looked the style up and thought it looked AMAZING, like nothing I'd seen before.

Danny94

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I wanted to learn karate, especially breaking boards. I still find people amazing who break stones and 10 inch bricks.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first martial art I really want to learn was baji quan because of the 90's comic kenji goh, that was why I ended up in a wushu school, because only that one available with my small allowance ($3 a month).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had done some TKD but stop due to busy life. I decided that I missed taking martial arts but I was looking for something different. I moved down to the CSRA (central savannah river area) in Georgia and decided to look for a few places to train. It was kinda hard because there is so many GREAT martial arts facilities here and almost everyone in the MA community knows each other. Also kempo is the predominate martial arts in the area with at least five places teaching (TAI Karate, Kempo-jujitsu,Shorinji-Kempo and two Chinese kempo), those same places also have their own MMA programs. Anyway I visited a few places and still couldn't make up my mind. I had someone suggest to me to look up the Universal Kempo Karate School branches, there are two of them here. I found some videos on the web that looked absolutely awesome.

This Brick Breaking is one of them
[video=vimeo;56739227]http://vimeo.com/56739227[/video]

I want to break bricks. I want to be so deadly with brick breaking, I dare any delinquent bricks to come and try to mess with me. ;)

Last edited:

Brother Sardis

White Belt
Reaction score
Well to talk about what i first wanted i would say A round house Kick in the Air, truly bad *** and its power. Of course it has taken some time to get just a little one off the ground..lol

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How to sit in my stance and punch!

I guess I'm kind of boring and just like to start at the beginning :D

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
the kamemeha wae and how to do a back flip for a kick

TheThirdAncestor

White Belt
Reaction score
For the first six months I kept myself open to whatever was being taught so that I could soak it in like a sponge, but when my teacher started talking about knife fighting I immediately knew it was something I wanted to learn.

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a child of the 80s, I loved The Karate Kid film (the original one with Pat Morita!) I just wanted to do karate! I guess flying kicks were what I wanted to do! Its been 15 years since i did karate - I went to my first class today. I think its going to be hard to get this body off the ground now!

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
Forms, even at this point after having practiced martial arts for the first time 15 years ago, I still love forms, I even arranged with my sifu a special 1 hour class only on forms, and well, martial applications, but mostly the form sequence itself, how each move works, where the force directs to, where your weight is, all the different meanings for each move, all the different ways to do a whole sequence, the topic is so vast and mysterious, and when my sifu demystifies each move I'm wowed, all the time. I leave that class and my face is like a big WOW lol
Second thing was, splits :D After watching Van Damme do it on the ring ropes in that first movie he was not even the main character, No Retreat No Surrender. I think I must have read and practiced 99% of the stuff on flexibility out there. Thomas Kurz, Pavel Tsatsouline, Bob Coole, Kit Laughlin, Michael Alter, GMB, Paul Zaichik, just to name a few and the most important ones.
So I love forms, splits, high kicks, and funnily enough not the actual reason for a martial art I think, which is killing...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Killing? Ah, no.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Killing? Ah, no.
One day I asked a MA guy, "If you have to kill someone, which move will you use?" He looked at me as if I came from another planet.

In MA training, you want to learn how to:

- enter, and
- finish.

If you have to deal with multiple opponents, the better "finish skill" that you have, the better chance that you can survive.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How to not suck at martial arts....still wanting to learn that to this day lol

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started in 1968 or '69. I honestly have no idea what I wanted to learn first.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was 5, I liked to put a small rock among my 3 fingers. I squeezed it everyday and hoped one day I could smash that rock into powder. I learned it from the 1st MA book that I had, "The secret of joint locking".

pvols1979

White Belt
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

I also was most excited about forms/katas. I really wanted to learn the Pyung Ahn forms in Tang Soo Do. I started when my wife started teaching Yoga at a karate school. You can't watch it and not DO it. I can't anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
One day I asked a MA guy, "If you have to kill someone, which move will you use?" He looked at me as if I came from another planet.

In MA training, you want to learn how to:

- enter, and
- finish.

If you have to deal with multiple opponents, the better "finish skill" that you have, the better chance that you can survive.
What is this "enter" and "finish" thing? Enter where, finish what, the fight? I'm honestly asking, I don't know what those terms refer to.

Latest Discussions