First thing you wanted to learn

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is this "enter" and "finish" thing? Enter where, finish what, the fight? I'm honestly asking, I don't know what those terms refer to.
"Enter" is to pass the

- kicking range without being kicked. This include fast footwork, correct angle to move in, catch the right opportunity, have good timing, ...
- punching range without being punched. This also include to pass your opponent's wrist gate, elbow gate, and reach to his shoulder/head gate.

"Finish" is as simple as

- fist meets face,
- ground meets head,
- arm meets neck,

fist_meets_face.jpg

head_hit_ground.jpg

arm_meet_neck_1.jpg

Last edited:

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
"Enter" is to pass the

- kicking range without being kicked. This include fast footwork, correct angle to move in, catch the right opportunity, have good timing, ...
- punching range without being punched. This also include to pass your opponent's wrist gate, elbow gate, and reach to his shoulder/head gate.

"Finish" is as simple as

- fist meets face,
- ground meets head,
- arm meets neck,

fist_meets_face.jpg

head_hit_ground.jpg

arm_meet_neck_1.jpg

LOL thanks, I get it now.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started because I was bullied horribly in high school. I said never again. It came true.

ernst

White Belt
Reaction score
Life is a marathon not a sprint

Rolling, rolling, rolling..

In school we had some judo lessons, and a friend of mine practiced it as a sport he would drag me around alot.

When i was about 15 i started doing aikido, and (sadely) red about a technique to prepare your body & mind for the ¨fight¨:
it was telling to clentch the teeth firmly and put the tongue on the upper side inside your mouth. After many years of mindlessly practicing this technique /wich did help me get across the street\ my teeth are kinda worn down and the inner side of the nerves are a bit overexhausted. So beware of what you learn and keep an open mind to other techniques !

dance, wrestle and relax

Marlene Morga

White Belt
Reaction score
When I took my very first martial arts class at 5 years old, I wanted to learn how to be emotionally stronger. At the end of the day, I learned how to respect people.

GordonnotRamsay

White Belt
Reaction score
I was really more into developing my reflexes when I started taking lessons. I thought it would help me stop being clumsy.

GordonnotRamsay

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, the first thing I want to know about is the history of martial arts and how it actually started. This is actually because it is amazing to see that it is popular around the world for several decades now... and the reason why a lot of people are willing to learn it. Well, I understand that it is for the purpose of self-defence. Other than that, I have also notice that there are a lot of people who made variants of it. I honestly think that it is a great way to get healthy and to learn how to protect yourself.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, the first thing I want to know about is the history of martial arts and how it actually started. This is actually because it is amazing to see that it is popular around the world for several decades now... and the reason why a lot of people are willing to learn it. Well, I understand that it is for the purpose of self-defence. Other than that, I have also notice that there are a lot of people who made variants of it. I honestly think that it is a great way to get healthy and to learn how to protect yourself.
Are you referring to a specific martial art, or martial arts in general? Because if it's martial arts in general, your 'several decades' idea is underselling the length of martial arts quite a bit...

D

Deleted member 48484

When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

First thing I wanted to learn when I started martial arts ever.. As far as I remember it was arm bars and kicks.

Damien

White Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I specifically wanted to learn (although I knew it would be a while before I had enough experience to do it) was the Guan Dao; Dynasty Warriors may have had something to do with that!

All this time later and I've still not actually learnt a Guan Dao form! Although I love the idea of the weapon and have played around with some basics, I've yet to find a form which I think really looks satisfying or a teacher who is well versed in it. A lot of the forms are overly showy and lack the martial application aspect.

It's been a long time since I've really looked though. Maybe one day.