First thing you wanted to learn

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
A long, long time ago I really wanted to learn how to do side splits like Jean Claude Van Damme for the purpose of doing roundhouse kicks.

The irony is that I am very flexible in almost all directions except side split. :)
I stretch almost daily, and while there is some progress, I will probably never get there, or even close. Good thing it's not required for ninpo.

What I like most is rolling, breakfalls, tai sabaki and locks.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As sad as it may sound, I took up martial arts after watching some Jackie Chan films in the summer before I went to Uni (1992). Jonathan Ross presented a series of films, and I and a mate started watching them, and decided that we would both learn kung-fu. I found a Shaolin 5 pattern hugn-juen club at Uni (Preston). I guess all I wanted to learn was to do silly high kicks like Jackie Chan! I cannot really remember now. I did acheive my ambition. But alas I can no longer do that high kicking stuff. The tornado. That's what we called it (memories coming back now). Cresent kick, followed by spinning reverse crescent, followed by jumping cresent. Woosh. Lots of fun. Mostly useless in a fight. Struggle to get my leg above waist height these days! Damn, 17 years ago. Eeek. Right, I think I need a large glass of scotch to get over this.....

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
     When I began, I wanted to learn an iron broom sweep. It looked so cool, and in the movies the bad guys always went down hard.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL ^ elegance, but powerful.

I simply want to become proficient on the dummy and at some point, the pole.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In iaido. Wondering how in the world they put the sword away without looking at it. It looked so cool.

That lasted until 5 seconds after I was showed how to do it….ahhh…wait, that’s really not that impressive.

Combat Hapkido Girl

White Belt
Reaction score
I really had little idea of what I was going to learn. I spoke with my current master many times regarding his school before I actually attended and when I started ..... I LOVED IT!! The more I was taught the more I wanted to learn. I love it all!!

young.learner

White Belt
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have allways wanted to learn the ancient art of Lua. Heck i am still trying to find an instructor in that art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"is it really over master?"

"no young one... it has just begun."

:duel::duel::duel::duel::duel:

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

When I first started out it didn't matter to me what they taught me first, I was just happy to be learning, that was in Poekelan. When I started Shotokan, I felt the same way you did and couldn't wait to learn katas. I still feel that way today, I still enjoy katas and believe they are an important tool for training.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was in total amazment that a little guy like me could throw someone literaly twice my weight over my head! I was the youngest guy (17) in my bjj class at the time, and I LOVED free training with the big guys, and the adults, and coming out on top! It brought me to a whole new level of self confidance, which I have never lost over the years.

CanadianCommando

White Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn how to kill my enemies with my laser vision and/or pyrokinesis. lol

Seriously, though, I grew up in the wake of Bruce Lee's death, and was interested in his techniques in general, and the one-inch-punch especially. I wanted to be Bruce, just like everyone else in those days :)

Chris.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
first thing i wanted to learn was the jian, and also qing gong. however i have never yet found a teacher who knows or teaches qing gong.

masurai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn to fight from knees because when ever my younger brother and I would wrestle he would always make me start from my knees while be started standing.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOL it's embarassing to admit, but I wanted to be able to catch a spear being thrown at me just like David Carradine in Kung Fu.
(No, haven't learned that one quite yet...)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was walking to the the gas station & a kid from my school was in his backyard breaking cinder blocks. i tried to do it & couldn't, so i started training with him. i still can't break cinder blocks but i don't really care to anymore. just happy i got started.

jf

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought it would be cool to be confident in the face of people making fun of you, to know you could kick their butt but not be all that worried about it. And I wanted to be able to do stuff that looks cool. Yeah, I just wanted to be cool.

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i saw a judo demo at my father's police academy in the early 60's. i was less than six years old. i think that was my first spark of interest. later, bruce lee in the green hornet. i used to watch it everyday after school. i thought batman was a total wuss bag. but when i finally started, i really concentrated on kicking. that was the first thing i really wanted to learn. anyone can use their hands (i figured) but kicking was extra special. now at 50 years of age, i still love kicking! but i have seen/felt the need for hands, especially while training in a jkd class in south florida where we put on the gloves and made contact! wow. what an eye opener!
overall, i have always wanted to learn everything i could from every art i saw, or every person i met. dan inosanto was a big inspiration for me over the years.

shane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
when you start to lean the martial arts the questions should be in your mind.
what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

Latest Discussions