First technique

DutchKenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Kenpodoc you haven't been to the netherlands right?
Kind of strange how in different parts of the world the same lessen is done.
This lesson did hook me on kenpo, coming from wado ryu this was an amazing difference, of flowing from one tech into the other something I had never seen.

grtz,

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach DS concepts for both - altho I do mention there are lineages which reserve DS for a lapel grab and use Sword of Doom as a similar albeit different technique to use against a right punch.

The very very first kenpo technique I was ever taught I forgot a long time ago cause that particular kind of kenpo I only trained in for about 4 months - it was obvious the instructor didn't have a really good grasp on what he was teaching - he was a great practitioner, just a horrible teacher.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you can handle both, I guess it doesn't really matter. :)
A single movement may contain many secrets, many movements may contain none.

Delayed Sword: Direct wrist grab, right punch, left punch, lapel grab, etc.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach DS concepts for both - altho I do mention there are lineages which reserve DS for a lapel grab and use Sword of Doom as a similar albeit different technique to use against a right punch.

The very very first kenpo technique I was ever taught I forgot a long time ago cause that particular kind of kenpo I only trained in for about 4 months - it was obvious the instructor didn't have a really good grasp on what he was teaching - he was a great practitioner, just a horrible teacher.

I only mention it because of the so-called "system traditionalist" that suggest you must do everything just as it was in Infinite Insights, (and ignore all of us who were black belts with Parker long before I.I.), which states the first technique taught should be for a "dead hand."

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Odd trivia thought. Who do you know who is still active in a Parker derived system who was pre-II? Geez that'd be a fun list.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A student who studied primarily under Mr. Parker who is still actively involved with EPAK in any of it's various flavors, or a Parker kenpo 50's-90's offshoot. :)

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
We didn't use names (SKK) but mine was left hand #2 block followed by 3 punches; all front 2 knuckle; face, chest, groin....

Latest Discussions