First Takedown You Learned?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by how many people here remember their first takedown/throw, considering how long ago it was that many of you started training.

Do those of you who remember your first throw remember your first strike as well? My first memory of learning a strike was a front ball kick, but I don't know if that is just my first memory, or actually one of my first strikes (sadly, it is one of my earliest memories so not overly reliable for that time period).

When I studied TKD, we didn't use any throws. The first strike would have been a straight chest high punch, and the first kick was iirc, a front snap kick.

In Hapkido it was much easier. In the Hapkido I learned, there was a progression of techniques for wrist grabs, which was what we started learning. There were 7 strikes (hand), then 7 breaks, then 7 throws. They were always taught in the same order.

The first strike was to lift the left knee (assuming a wrist grab to the right hand), then a sudo strike to the opponent's left wrist, carried through backwards to strike the opponent's left neck area. Very simple.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That depends upon how we define "takedown". I draw a distinction between "throw" and "takedown", and differentiate both from a move that forces someone to the ground. A takedown is where I drop with them (at least to knees). A throw is where I send them to the ground. A lock can be used to force them to the ground.

So, my first takedown in NGA was a "Mugger's Throw", which looks like a shoulder throw from an over-committed (forward momentum) rear naked choke without a lock, but isn't. It's a dropping out from under them, using your weight to pull them to the ground in front of you.

The first move I learned in NGA that put someone on the ground was an Arm Bar, I think. The first throw (that wasn't a takedown) was probably the Unbendable Arm, a fairly esoteric technique that is mostly used to teach principles of body mechanics.

Well before that, I learned some throws, locks, and takedowns in Judo. I don't remember the order, or even the names. I have vague recollections of names like okogoshi, ukigoshi, osotogari, and things like that, but can't attach any of them to a specific technique any more.
I define a takedown as a manoeuvre intended for and resulting in a grounded position of an opponent. A throw is just a method for it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by how many people here remember their first takedown/throw, considering how long ago it was that many of you started training.

Do those of you who remember your first throw remember your first strike as well? My first memory of learning a strike was a front ball kick, but I don't know if that is just my first memory, or actually one of my first strikes (sadly, it is one of my earliest memories so not overly reliable for that time period).
I remember the first one from NGA, because of the order of the curriculum in mainline NGA. Most folks would have the same sequence, though it's entirely possible some would have a different first throw, since there are several others in the First Classical Set (Unbendable Arm, Elbow Chop, Leg Sweep, Come-Along Throw, Whip Throw, Front Wrist Throw). Frankly, I'm not entirely certain of which of those was my first - it was 1988, so my memory may be off a bit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

First strike for me in NGA was almost certainly the Straight Punch. Probably the same for pretty much everyone in mainline NGA. First strike in Shotokan? I have no memory of it (c. 1982), but probably the same.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First takedown? Double-leg, then single-leg with a lift, and fireman's carry ...do they still do fireman's? It was my favorite. That was back about 1963 when I was in about 3rd grade. Wrestling wasn't widely practiced then.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure for FMA when I was a kid, but for HEMA it was the "first wrestling at the sword", which is the armed version of one of the two FMA takedowns I remember doing. You put your left leg behind his right and dump him over it with your left arm in front of his neck while holding your sword in your right, controlling the opponent's sword. Fairly standard stuff. For Judo it was O goshi (hip throw).

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Japanese jujitsu. osotogari.

Ditto, but Judo class. In same class got Ippon seoinage. Probably my favorite counter series to this day, as you can flow from one to the other and back and other and back and....

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3rd grade wrestling - double leg takedown, but rather than picking up the opponent and dumping him to the side, we tripped him when our back leg came up. Next was the classic double leg takedown. Still remember my first practice like it was yesterday. I'm 40, so it was quite some time ago.

First throw was the lateral throw. That throw taught us not to push too hard during a tie-up (hold your ground instead) and to use our opponent's strength against him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know the first takedown this woman officer learned, but she seems to have this one down pretty well.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
fan of a choke slam myself.

That's a great one. What really made that one work IMO, other than the quickness/surprise attack was the cop's right leg blocking the perpetrator's legs from stepping back, even just for a second. If the cop didn't trip him up with that, the perpetrator potentially could've taken a few quick steps back and avoided getting slammed. But I'm sure the cop would've easily gotten him another way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a great one. What really made that one work IMO, other than the quickness/surprise attack was the cop's right leg blocking the perpetrator's legs from stepping back, even just for a second. If the cop didn't trip him up with that, the perpetrator potentially could've taken a few quick steps back and avoided getting slammed. But I'm sure the cop would've easily gotten him another way.

It is based on a concept called running the pipe.

Minorincon32

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what it's called but basically you grab the opponents arm in a kimura like fashion, plant their hand on their chest, and roll your head to their knee. They follow your motion down to the ground. I personally never found any practical use for it seeing as you'd have to be extremely quick I believe to successfully land it.

Latest Discussions