First Takedown You Learned?

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last I remember the first I learned at MMA was a drop seoi nage from 50/50.
Even before the double-leg takedown that is. Yours?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure what the throw is called but it's a basic throw that was used when the attacker grabs you from behind. In a way I want to say it was some sort of hip throw but it seems like it was more of a forward bend motion than a hip throw. The only thing I know for sure was that it was done as a joke where I would tell a friend to grab me without telling him what I was going to do. Then because he was mad at me he would then do the joke to someone else and give them a surprise throw.

I guess my memory gets a little soggy after trying to recall what I did when I was 7 lol.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TKD takedown: Knife hand block R hand punch, counter attack with strike to face and strike to gut, step forward and push hips against opponents hips and take them down from there

-Julian

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simple foot sweep.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No clue what the first one I learned in Kempo was, although we did not focus much on them. The first one I learned in judo was Tai otoshi, although I have the same question as frank.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don;t remember the proper term for it but it is a tachi waza where you place your behind theirs along with your leg, and simply push them over you. Very easy to do and simple.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I remember the first I learned at MMA was a drop seoi nage from 50/50.
Even before the double-leg takedown that is. Yours?
That depends upon how we define "takedown". I draw a distinction between "throw" and "takedown", and differentiate both from a move that forces someone to the ground. A takedown is where I drop with them (at least to knees). A throw is where I send them to the ground. A lock can be used to force them to the ground.

So, my first takedown in NGA was a "Mugger's Throw", which looks like a shoulder throw from an over-committed (forward momentum) rear naked choke without a lock, but isn't. It's a dropping out from under them, using your weight to pull them to the ground in front of you.

The first move I learned in NGA that put someone on the ground was an Arm Bar, I think. The first throw (that wasn't a takedown) was probably the Unbendable Arm, a fairly esoteric technique that is mostly used to teach principles of body mechanics.

Well before that, I learned some throws, locks, and takedowns in Judo. I don't remember the order, or even the names. I have vague recollections of names like okogoshi, ukigoshi, osotogari, and things like that, but can't attach any of them to a specific technique any more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the throw is called but it's a basic throw that was used when the attacker grabs you from behind. In a way I want to say it was some sort of hip throw but it seems like it was more of a forward bend motion than a hip throw. The only thing I know for sure was that it was done as a joke where I would tell a friend to grab me without telling him what I was going to do. Then because he was mad at me he would then do the joke to someone else and give them a surprise throw.

I guess my memory gets a little soggy after trying to recall what I did when I was 7 lol.
That sounds a bit like either our Mugger's Throw, or our Bear Hug throw, depending upon the grip.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by how many people here remember their first takedown/throw, considering how long ago it was that many of you started training.

Do those of you who remember your first throw remember your first strike as well? My first memory of learning a strike was a front ball kick, but I don't know if that is just my first memory, or actually one of my first strikes (sadly, it is one of my earliest memories so not overly reliable for that time period).

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by how many people here remember their first takedown/throw, considering how long ago it was that many of you started training.

Do those of you who remember your first throw remember your first strike as well? My first memory of learning a strike was a front ball kick, but I don't know if that is just my first memory, or actually one of my first strikes (sadly, it is one of my earliest memories so not overly reliable for that time period).

I punched a kid in the face in kindergarten cause he took my juice. I dont know if that counts though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first strike I was taught was a reverse punch.
The first kick I was taught was a front kick.
The first block I was taught was a rising block.
The first excuse I used was "The ref screwed me." (kidding)

I don't remember a lot. But I remember, in great detail, my first everything in Martial Arts. Because I thought everything was just so cool. I didn't even cared if it worked, as long as I could do it.

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the name for mine but it's quite simple and effective.

You step to their side (behind your opponent) as they strike (knocking their hand in the direction away from you) and step into their stance. From there use your hip and leg to lift their own leg off the floor then sweep them over you with a haito tsuki across their chest.

When done without a partner it kinda looks like a clockwise leg sweep mixed with a counter-clockwise strike.

Honestly I don't know a lot of takedowns.

Latest Discussions