First taekwondo tournament in over 23 years...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...and the last one wasn't kukkiwon/WTF, so it was a new experience. Well, sort of; it isn't like we haven't been doing WTF sparring in class for the past two+ years.

At forty one, I was one of the oldest competitors and the oldest of the men by fifteen years. It was small: our two schools, and the first "Korean Martial Arts Unity Taekwondo Tournament."

Lots of fun was had! The conduct of all of the participants was quite good and overall, it went very smoothly. GM Kim's wife made a very nice lunch of Korean BBQ, Kimchi and rice, and the general atmosphere was, while competative, also supportive and respectful.

My son placed second in forms, I placed third in breaking and sparring. I never got to spar the second place gent; just the way it wound up, but I wish that I had: he is quite good and I would really have enjoyed it. I did spar the gent who took first and we had a very close match; 7-6. I sparred another gent for third and likewise, it was a close match, but I won that one 6-5.

But the trophies and placings were less important to me than simply getting up and showing well. I had created my own form and had selected to do breaking and I simply wanted to look decent and break without any retries.

I placed fouth in forms, which surprised me, as I thought that some of the others were better than I, but I wasn't going to argue. I managed to do the whole thing without goofing it up in front of a bunch of people.

As for breaking, I was very pleased: no retries!! My break was a spear hand through one board, a knife hand through four boards and a reverse knife hand (striking with the thumb side) with the other. I should have used more boards, as I went through them way easier than I had expected to. Then I did my bottle break; a knife hand to the bottle cap, blowing out the bottom of the bottle. Not as flashy as the other breaks; the winner was a young lady who ran up a mountain of people (of which I was one of) to break a board with a spinning roundhouse kick, and then land from about ten feet up. Very impressive!!

My shining moment, however was neither forms nor breaking nor sparring, but oddly enough, singing. Master Kim wanted someone to sing the National Anthem, and I wound up with the honors. Finally, after all these years, my choir practice and taekwondo practice intersected.
biggrin.gif

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel I am glad you had a wondeful time, maybe this will grow over the years.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that he'd like it to. We're working on fielding a group to go to open competitions as well.

Daniel

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally, after all these years, my choir practice and taekwondo practice intersected.

I've been trying to find a way of working my bass playing and taekwondo together... maybe adding some spinning high kicks to my stage show or something...

Good job

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Finally, after all these years, my choir practice and taekwondo practice intersected.

I've been trying to find a way of working my bass playing and taekwondo together... maybe adding some spinning high kicks to my stage show or something...

Good job
You know, Gene Simmons' bass did resemble a single bladed battle axe at one point. Perhaps a blend of naginata technique and slap bass?:p

Daniel

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That would be great and then maybe we can meet and talk face to face. I hope you guys all the best.
That would be fantastic! I'd love to meet you and quite a few others here face to face. But until then, I shall continue to appreciate your friendship electronically.:)

Daniel

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, Gene Simmons' bass did resemble a single bladed battle axe at one point. Perhaps a blend of naginata technique and slap bass?:p

Daniel

You know, Gene's Demon outfit could maybe resemble a Samuri's armor....the big boots, the hair, and all. Didn't KISS have an album that had something to do with Japanese Samuri or something oriental back in the 70's or early 80's?? LOL.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like a great event, and that everyone had fun! Mmmm... Korean food, too... BTW- you weren't singing as you were competing, were you? That would be an interesting sight at any tournament. :uhyeah: Just kidding.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like a great event, and that everyone had fun! Mmmm... Korean food, too... BTW- you weren't singing as you were competing, were you? That would be an interesting sight at any tournament. :uhyeah: Just kidding.
My thanks! The food was good and the day was fun. And yes, I did ask if I'd get extra points on my form if I sang while doing so.:D

Daniel

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, Gene's Demon outfit could maybe resemble a Samuri's armor....the big boots, the hair, and all. Didn't KISS have an album that had something to do with Japanese Samuri or something oriental back in the 70's or early 80's?? LOL.
Hotter than Hell: Japanese themed, though not specifically samurai. It had Japanese script and such all over it, looking like a compilation of Kiss ads in Japansese an photos of the band in Japan.

Daniel

Latest Discussions