First hemp, now khat

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.bookrags.com/research/khat-edaa-02/

Effects.

The pharmacology of khat has been reviewed and its effects are characterized by a moderate degree of central nervous system (CNS) stimulation, resulting in a state of mild euphoria and excitement, often accompanied by talkativeness to excess. High doses may induce restlessness and sometimes manic behavior. Excessive consumption may lead to toxic psychosis. Khat produces ANOREXIA (loss of appetite) and constipation; it has sympathomimetic effects on the cardiovascular system. Dilation of the pupil and staring are indicative of the acute effect of khat. Habitual chewing is usually revealed by a brownish staining of the teeth.

The effects are very similar to those of AMPHETAMINE, and the difference between the two drugs is quantitative rather than qualitative. Accordingly, habitual khat use may give rise to psychic dependence, which usually is moderate but often persistent. The withdrawal symptoms after prolonged use are slight trembling, lethargy, mild depression, and recurrent bad dreams. Khat use by the habitué is often compulsive, with the necessary supplies obtained at least once a day, even at the expense of vital needs; in the countries where khat use is widespread, the socioeconomic consequences of the habit are considerable.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd phrase it "khat CAN be much more powerful"; the stimulant in it loses potency rapidly at room temperature. (We've been advised to put any seized on ice, and immediately deliver it to the lab, waiting for a lab tech to arrive if it's overnight.)

It is powerful!

When's the last time you saw a 14 year old kid with a ak-47 kill another person hopped up on coffee. It all depends on how much and how often you use the drug.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you sure? Have you checked the color lately? :idunno: Just a simple observation.
Roasted coffee beans always reminded me of butt nuggets.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not enough room to swing a khat

Does it leave you with a grin like a Cheshire khat.

who let the khat out of the bag

I didn't exile to be the only one out here on the edge

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not enough room to swing a khat

Does it leave you with a grin like a Cheshire khat.

who let the khat out of the bag

I didn't exile to be the only one out here on the edge

I appreciate the company, XS... it's awfully chilly out here in the Study's Siberia Room (mind you, as an Exile I'm used to that sort of thing, but misery has always loved company... pull up a chair! :D)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AXEually, Khat contains a number of chemicals among which are two controlled substances, cathinone and cathine. Which are close chemical cousins to amphetamine.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/article.asp?ContentID=khat

Khat is a stimulant. A typical chewing session is thought to be the equivalent of ingesting
5 milligrams of amphetamine sulphate. Usually 50–200 grams of the leaves are chewed. The onset of effect is within 20 minutes.

AKA dextroamphetamine: So its more like Ritalin than Coffee if you want to be accurate. But THAT hasnt stopped people too often.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
AXEually, Khat contains a number of chemicals among which are two controlled substances, cathinone and cathine. Which are close chemical cousins to amphetamine.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/article.asp?ContentID=khat

AKA dextroamphetamine: So its more like Ritalin than Coffee if you want to be accurate. But THAT hasnt stopped people too often.

Although I do realize that I am about to go to far, I just can't help myself. But I will blame it on the fact that I have been sick for that past 6 days and I am likely delirious..... so here goes

Then it is best we make it illegal or it might be a Khatastrophe