First Admendment issue or not

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Do you think this is a First Admendment Issue?

Check Here

Not really, only because they're not attacking the content of XM, but XM itself. Sounds very similar to what the RIAA and MPAA pull, in attempting to quell file-sharers with threats of lawsuits and jailtime (though, that does get into copyright law, but is also outside the point i'm trying to make).

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Do you think this is a First Admendment Issue?

Check Here

I called some Michiagn Reps on the Energy and Commerce Committee.

The first office just recorded my rant about this.

The second office actually gave me some information.

Back in the 90's when Satelite was licensed they could only get the license from the FCC because they had no local content. Now XM and soon Cirrus have or will offer local weather and traffic. The Local radio stations and their corporate owners are now upset that another corporation is involved with the game.

I explained my concerns, and how to me it appeared to be the FCC and the Federal Government looking like they support monopolistic actions.

Thoughts?

S

Spud

I don’t think it is really a First Amendment concern as much as it is a government directed monopoly issue. Nobody is trying to prevent the public from obtaining local news, traffic and weather, but NABO is trying to maintain a grasp on a market that their broadcasters have neglected. If the NABO broadcaster’s (FM and AM radio) have been serving that market well, there would not be a demand for satellite listeners to pay a monthly premium to hear local content – FM/AM is free.

Clear Channel and the rest of them have syndicated much of their operations and neglected the local market for years. Some examples are hurricanes moving up the east coast and the radio stations broadcast their syndicated programs with limited information on the storm track, any precautions or local calls for evacuation. Traffic reports that are an hour old etc.

I sent comments to the FCC opposing the NABO request last month. I’m a Sirius subscriber and even though Sattelite radio doesn’t have local content in my area I really hate the idea of NABO putting the squeeze on XM/Sirius especially when the NABO clowns have destroyed local radio in the first place.
:soapbox:

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that this is more an issue of market monopoly than First Amendment violation.

I really couldn't tell from the article what the difference was as far as content was concerned. Just two companies/groups with different products. However, I can see how free expression issues could stem from this, but that would be indirectly, I believe.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I called some Michiagn Reps on the Energy and Commerce Committee.

The first office just recorded my rant about this.

The second office actually gave me some information.

Back in the 90's when Satelite was licensed they could only get the license from the FCC because they had no local content. Now XM and soon Cirrus have or will offer local weather and traffic. The Local radio stations and their corporate owners are now upset that another corporation is involved with the game.

I explained my concerns, and how to me it appeared to be the FCC and the Federal Government looking like they support monopolistic actions.

Thoughts?

I really had nofeeling about this until I read your second post

Point one they should have to concur with their original licening information unless they have ammended it.

Point to look at Clear Channel communiccations (Cheap Channel) they are buying everything Bilboard ads, concert promotions, they are now the largest radio station owners, TV stations, newspapers, If this isn't a monopoly I don't know what is. Just recently (within the last 3 years) when they bought AMFM broadcasting they had to sell 3 radio stations in Honolulu. guess which three they sold (the cheap ones). Now they own 6 stations here locally and 1 TV station.

So personally I don't mind XM Radio doing local traffic that will create revenew because the local traffic will charge XM Radio for that service. You have to buy XM Radio if you want it so why not give the people what they want on satalite radio.

Respectfully

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personaly I think the whole recording industry and radio broadcasting industry are defunct. Listeners are now given less choices than ever in the past. Bands like Dave Mathews have embraced the internet and actualy encourage the pirating of theirs songs, and have nothing but sell out tours because of it. Lets break out of the box and vote out any congressman that attempts to keep us in... OUR YOU WITH ME?
Sean

Latest Discussions