Find Registered Sex Offenders near you.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Higher numbers are the more serious offenders, (remember these are designations of people, not crimes, as a person can be responsible for more than one crime) and the more likely the risk to re-offend. Most states do not recognize level 4, which has the vague name of "Sexually Violent"

Bottom line: it can be helpful to get to know your own state's laws.

There are 3 Levels of Sex Offenders in Massachusetts

Level 1 Sex Offenders
Where the Sex Offender Registry Board determines that the risk of reoffense by an offender is low and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public by that offender is not such that a public safety interest is served by public availability, the Board shall give that offender a Level 1 designation. Information on Level 1 offenders will not be available to the public. Neither the police nor the Board have authority to disseminate information to the general public identifying a Level 1 offender. Information identifying Level 1 offenders may only be given to the department of correction, any county correctional facility, the department of youth services, the department of social services, the parole Board, the department of probation and the department of mental health, all city and town police departments and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for law enforcement purposes.

Level 2 Sex Offender
Where the Board determines that the risk of reoffense is moderate and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a public safety interest is served by public availability of registration information, it shall give a level 2 designation to the sex offender.
The public shall have access to the information regarding a level 2 offender through the Local Police Department and through the Sex Offender Registry Board.

Level 3 Sex Offenders
Where the Board determines that the risk of reoffense is high and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a substantial public safety interest is served by active dissemination, it shall give a level 3 designation to the sex offender.
The public shall have access to the information regarding a level 3 offender through the Local Police Departments and through the Sex Offender Registry Board .

Sorry... I was thinking of felonies, in which the lower numbers are higher offenses... or is that backwards, too? I guess I shouldn't answer things like this when I'm doing my homework. Thanks for the correction, and the details.:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No you are right about felonies. Book 'em, Dano, Murder One. :)

Now if only I was as good at Kenpo as I am with numbers...but alas that seems to be much more of a challenge...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's a great tool. too bad oregon's not online with them, though.

i'm glad it seems to differentiate between the offenses. in some similar sites, they make no effort to separate some waste of skin child molester from somebody who got caught breaking in the new car with his wife. both are sex crimes.

also, though most states have a clause in their age of consent laws to protect an 18 year old who has a 17 year old girlfriend, not all states do -- and that 'sex with a minor' thing can make someone's life pretty hard. i have a friend who, at the age of 33, is still feeling the repercussions of not checking a girl's id at a frat party. (he was 20 -- in oregon, that's on your record for life)

to be clear: child molesters are not human and not worthy of the rights guaranteed humans by our society. those who physically harm children they sexually abuse should be killed; killed with pain in extreme cases.

systems that track convicted child molesters are a good thing. i don't think the systems currently in place do a good enough job making sure it's the child molesters that are being tracked. this hurts people who don't deserve it and diverts resources that could be used to deliver daily ***-whippings to people who harm children.

this site seems to be a step in the right direction. thanks for sharing it with us.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have several in my home town. I have one that is within 50 ft of my house. I am glad My Wife trains. With guns and in the MA.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Pennsylvania is one of the 5 states that does not provide address information according to the link provided. It would have been nice to know. Thanks anyway, Bob!

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh geese, only two in my area, but one of them lives right down the street from me.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Lord, 105 offenders within a few miles of my home... Mostly offenses against children too... I'm glad we teach Child Abduction Prevention. This website needs to be publicized more!

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there one for Australia? It would be interesting as well as good to know. I'd like to tell all my friends too.

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i was also wondering if there was something like this for canada. i doubt there is, mainly because of the criminals "rights" but still, i would love to see one of these websites for our country. it is nice to see the internet put to good use for once...not counting martial talk of course...:)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is not as accurate as it could be. I know a registered sex offender in my home state & I know his address, but he's not listed on there. He's on the state website, but not listed on "watchdog."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Higher numbers are the more serious offenders, (remember these are designations of people, not crimes, as a person can be responsible for more than one crime) and the more likely the risk to re-offend. Most states do not recognize level 4, which has the vague name of "Sexually Violent"

Bottom line: it can be helpful to get to know your own state's laws.

There are 3 Levels of Sex Offenders in Massachusetts​

Level 1 Sex Offenders
Where the Sex Offender Registry Board determines that the risk of reoffense by an offender is low and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public by that offender is not such that a public safety interest is served by public availability, the Board shall give that offender a Level 1 designation. Information on Level 1 offenders will not be available to the public. Neither the police nor the Board have authority to disseminate information to the general public identifying a Level 1 offender. Information identifying Level 1 offenders may only be given to the department of correction, any county correctional facility, the department of youth services, the department of social services, the parole Board, the department of probation and the department of mental health, all city and town police departments and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for law enforcement purposes.

Level 2 Sex Offender
Where the Board determines that the risk of reoffense is moderate and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a public safety interest is served by public availability of registration information, it shall give a level 2 designation to the sex offender.
The public shall have access to the information regarding a level 2 offender through the Local Police Department and through the Sex Offender Registry Board.

Level 3 Sex Offenders
Where the Board determines that the risk of reoffense is high and the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a substantial public safety interest is served by active dissemination, it shall give a level 3 designation to the sex offender.
The public shall have access to the information regarding a level 3 offender through the Local Police Departments and through the Sex Offender Registry Board .
A guy I know stupidly admited to the cops that he peed in the bushes at a very large and woodsy park. He is now a level 1 sex offender thank you very much. My advice. Lie to the cops when asked if you just peed in the bushes.
Sean

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not as accurate as it could be. I know a registered sex offender in my home state & I know his address, but he's not listed on there. He's on the state website, but not listed on "watchdog."

A guy I know stupidly admited to the cops that he peed in the bushes at a very large and woodsy park. He is now a level 1 sex offender thank you very much. My advice. Lie to the cops when asked if you just peed in the bushes.
Sean

Forgive me; I have not taken the time to read this entire thread... but these two issues are important.

First -- each state has it's own definition of who must register. Often, it's linked to the offense someone is CONVICTED of, not what they were charged with. One case near me was just in the paper; the guy was charged with abduction and rape. The plea deal ended up being a guilty plea to a form of sexual battery that does not require registration... The case for the original charges was pretty good, though it had some problems. Think it'd make a difference if you knew he lived next door but wasn't a registered offender? Others are required to register for acts that amount to childhood stupidity, not true depravity. They're not folks you're going to have to worry about... but they're required to register.

Second -- it's all well & good to require people to register. That doesn't mean they do so; it doesn't mean they update each move as they are required to, either. VA just formed a State Police unit dedicated to tracking down people who failed to register or update... There're enough of them to make the unit necessary!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
We found out my next door neighbor was on the list about 6-months ago and I was totally shocked. He's the nicest and most helpful guy in the neighborhood - and he has 4 kids under the age of 7 that all live with him and his wife. The charge on the internet site was vague at best so I did some digging. Turns out, in CT at least, you can be placed on the sex offenders list without committing a "sexual" offense. Say for instance, you have your 3 year old in the back seat and you go rob a liquor store. That will land you on the sex offenders list because they lump it in with "intent to injure a minor" which is lumped in with the sexual crimes. Doesn't make it any better, but still. I plan to write to the state (and pay the required fee!) to get a copy of his actual conviction record which will list his offense(s) in greater detail. Definitely a scary thing.

I'll tell you though, now that I know, it is very hard to relate to him and I find myself treating him very differently, even though his demeanor toward me has not changed and I don't truly know what his crime was.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We found out my next door neighbor was on the list about 6-months ago and I was totally shocked. He's the nicest and most helpful guy in the neighborhood - and he has 4 kids under the age of 7 that all live with him and his wife. The charge on the internet site was vague at best so I did some digging. Turns out, in CT at least, you can be placed on the sex offenders list without committing a "sexual" offense. Say for instance, you have your 3 year old in the back seat and you go rob a liquor store. That will land you on the sex offenders list because they lump it in with "intent to injure a minor" which is lumped in with the sexual crimes. Doesn't make it any better, but still. I plan to write to the state (and pay the required fee!) to get a copy of his actual conviction record which will list his offense(s) in greater detail. Definitely a scary thing.

I'll tell you though, now that I know, it is very hard to relate to him and I find myself treating him very differently, even though his demeanor toward me has not changed and I don't truly know what his crime was.
Keep us posted.
Sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree the laws can be vague in some states. In the case I'm speaking of, I have no idea why he wouldn't be listed. I guess the best thing to do is go to your state's site.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You are not correct in your read of that law. There are seperate sub sections of risk of injury here in CT. under (1) non sexual, no registration, covers a wide range of possibilities.

Under (2) sexual contact with a minor registration required

Reference CGS 53-21
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap939.htm#Sec53-21.htm

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are not correct in your read of that law. There are seperate sub sections of risk of injury here in CT. under (1) non sexual, no registration, covers a wide range of possibilities.

Under (2) sexual contact with a minor registration required

Reference CGS 53-21
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap939.htm#Sec53-21.htm

Thanks for the clarification. I was only going on what I'd been told when I started to enquire about this - apparently misinformation. I read the link you provided and it does help. You obviously know more about the laws relating to this type of thing than I, so hopefully you can answer this question - given that my neighbor is registered, I would take that to mean, going by your post, that he was convicted of a "sexual" crime with a minor - whatever crime that may be. How is it then that he is still allowed to live with his 4 children, all of whom are minors? That's the part I don't get. I would think if he did something of a sexual nature with or to a minor, there would be no way he'd be allowed to stay with his kids. Thanks again for your help.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I was only going on what I'd been told when I started to enquire about this - apparently misinformation. I read the link you provided and it does help. You obviously know more about the laws relating to this type of thing than I, so hopefully you can answer this question - given that my neighbor is registered, I would take that to mean, going by your post, that he was convicted of a "sexual" crime with a minor - whatever crime that may be. How is it then that he is still allowed to live with his 4 children, all of whom are minors? That's the part I don't get. I would think if he did something of a sexual nature with or to a minor, there would be no way he'd be allowed to stay with his kids. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know a bit, since prosecuting criminals is what I do for work. I deal with far more drug and gun cases, but I have dealt with enough of these to give reasonable answers to some questions.

With respect to your neighbor specifically, all I can glean from the risk of injury charge is that he had contact with the intimate parts of someone under 16. Intimate parts could be buttocks, or thigh, or breast, or genitals, so it covers alot of possibilities.

As to why he is allowed to still live with his children, not enough info to really answer. It would seem logical to assume they were not the victims. Maybe they are all under 8 years old and he decided to play grab-a$$ with the 15 year old baby-sitter who looks 25. That type of incident is distinguishable from someone who is a pedophile (person with sexual interest in pre-pubescent children). There may be conditions like no unsupervised contact with minors under 16. This would mean he couldn't be home alone with his kids. Sex offender probations are very strict. Frequent searches of home/computer by probation, polygraphs, gps monitoring bracelets etc can be the norm

These cases are hands on (no pun intended). Victim's advocates, DCF, psychological evaluations for the accused, victim's willingness to testify are all factors that go into the dispositions of these cases. This is why most judges and prosecutors you could talk to are somewhat opossed to the 25 year minimum mandatory sentencing schemes being proposed. 2 reasons why I would be opossed to that 1. punishment should fit the crime ( however bad, a passing grope is different than grooming a victim over time and repeatedly sodomizing them) 2. It ties the hands of the people who actually need to deal with these cases. Sometimes as a case progresses it is obvious that a victim will be a terrible witness and the case could be lost at trial. The ability to negotiate a plea serves the interst of justice because it allows the system to keep hooks on the accused. An aquital at trial, they walk away unscathed.

Sorry I couldn't more completely answwer you question, not enough info