Finally!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what it is but as it's obviously something that has made you happy it's a good thing so congratulations! :)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I began training LT WT in the summer of 1995. Today, 22 years later almost to the day, I have completed training on the Baat Jaam Do!

Just had to tell somebody.

Awesome dude!!!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Congratulations

No idea what it is but as it's obviously something that has made you happy it's a good thing so congratulations! :)

Double knife form

2552ebbbb58a42cd5ad540475bb05a00.jpg

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah!!! Hip Hip Hooray...Hooray for our side...uhh I mean for Yak Sao!!
Now welcome to the Edge of Wing Chun. You can now Slash away the art.

Yes...now the real work begins.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I began training LT WT in the summer of 1995. Today, 22 years later almost to the day, I have completed training on the Baat Jaam Do! Just had to tell somebody.

Awesome! --Congrats, Yak. People from some other lineages don't realize how long the road is to learn the WT BCD.

I got through about half the form back around 2010-11, but had nobody to train with and finally put the knives aside because I was forgetting details and training bad habits. Now I barely remember the opening sections. These days I get my weapons fix from Escrima. Hopefully, someday I'll go back to the BCD.

I hope you have a sifu or hing-dai who are also training the BCD so you can train form and applications and don't end up like me!

BTW if you learned the entire BCD set, you must have also earned the wide red stripes on your pants, right? I'll probably be a humble skinny-striper for the rest of my life. But since I usually work out in sweats or gym shorts, who will notice? ;)

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome! --Congrats, Yak. People from some other lineages don't realize how long the road is to learn the WT BCD.

I got through about half the form back around 2010-11, but had nobody to train with and finally put the knives aside because I was forgetting details and training bad habits. Now I barely remember the opening sections. These days I get my weapons fix from Escrima. Hopefully, someday I'll go back to the BCD.

I hope you have a sifu or hing-dai who are also training the BCD so you can train form and applications and don't end up like me!

BTW if you learned the entire BCD set, you must have also earned the wide red stripes on your pants, right? I'll probably be a humble skinny-striper for the rest of my life. But since I usually work out in sweats or gym shorts, who will notice? ;)

I know this makes me a disgrace to all WT technicians everywhere, but I have never had a pair of the striped pants, skinny stripe or fat stripe, let alone the whole technician uniform.
Shun me if you must.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this makes me a disgrace to all WT technicians everywhere, but I have never had a pair of the striped pants, skinny stripe or fat stripe, let alone the whole technician uniform.
Shun me if you must.
I'm shocked! Shocked, I say...and I don't even know what you are talking about. Imagine how shocking it must be to those in the know.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm shocked! Shocked, I say...and I don't even know what you are talking about. Imagine how shocking it must be to those in the know.

I know...imagine my embarrassment airing my (unstriped) dirty laundry in public

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I began training LT WT in the summer of 1995. Today, 22 years later almost to the day, I have completed training on the Baat Jaam Do!

Just had to tell somebody.
Congratulations to you. Wow 22 years, forgive me for saying this but is this the normal time frame to get to learn this form in the LT linage?

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to you. Wow 22 years, forgive me for saying this but is this the normal time frame to get to learn this form in the LT linage?

No, I learned it faster than most.

I'm only half joking. There are many who have trained this lineage far longer than me who have never learned the knives. There are those of course who have learned it sooner as well, but not many.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I learned it faster than most.

I'm only half joking. There are many who have trained this lineage far longer than me who have never learned the knives. There are those of course who have learned it sooner as well, but not many.
I hate to say it, but this comes down to instructors deliberately holding back information, perhaps in an effort to maintain status or keep control of students.

With only 6 forms in the entire system, there is no reason why practitioners should have to wait decades to learn them all. Ip Man himself had significantly less than 22 years of formal instruction under others and many of his students who went on to become notable teachers in their own right also had less time under him.

This sort of thing annoys me. As a teacher, my goal is to have my students surpass me as quickly as possible. Holding back material runs directly counter to that objective and reeks of insecurity. If you are a really good teacher, you can continue to aid your students in understanding and getting better at material even after you've shared all the techniques/forms/whatever that you know. If not, it's time for them to move on and learn elsewhere.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this comes down to instructors deliberately holding back information, perhaps in an effort to maintain status or keep control of students.

With only 6 forms in the entire system, there is no reason why practitioners should have to wait decades to learn them all. Ip Man himself had significantly less than 22 years of formal instruction under others and many of his students who went on to become notable teachers in their own right also had less time under him.

This sort of thing annoys me. As a teacher, my goal is to have my students surpass me as quickly as possible. Holding back material runs directly counter to that objective and reeks of insecurity. If you are a really good teacher, you can continue to aid your students in understanding and getting better at material even after you've shared all the techniques/forms/whatever that you know. If not, it's time for them to move on and learn elsewhere.
Agreed. One of my frustrations as an instructor is that I haven't found a reasonable way to deliver the curriculum faster. If I could do it, I'd hand over all the techniques in 2 years, and then keep revisiting them, their principles and applications, and anything new we could come up with.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree with nothing you said there Tony in fact I agree wholeheartedly with all of it.
Believe me I thought about moving on to something else several times over the years, but damn it I wanted to learn this lineage and I can be a stubborn SOB when I want to be... if you don't believe me just ask my wife
I place part of the blame for it taking so long with myself. As you may or may not know I started training with my current teacher about 12 years ago. 5 years into that I had a major career change and my training time with him became few and far between there for a while.
But anyway water under the bridge, I've completed what I set out to accomplish and now there's going to be a major paradigm shift with how long it takes to learn this material.... at least in my little corner of the world.

Last edited:

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score

I agree, we teach our students when they are ready for it. SLT from day 1, CK when they are proficiant in SLT, BJ after they learn the dummy, pole after BJ and knives after they have shown resiliency in practice full proficiency of the other 5 forms. I learned in year 4-5 but also am one of only 3 student to learn this form even though there are others who have studied longer than I.

Latest Discussions