Finally going for the tattoo look

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to commit to my first tattoo. I have a few designs I'm interested in but not sure which one I want to start with. I'd like to have multiple tattoo's by the end of the year if the first one works out good.

What's been stopping me all these years is the fear of having a screwed up tattoo that I have to live with, or worse. So I'm looking for any advice on what to do and especially what NOT to do, how to identify a good and safe artist etc.This may have been covered in other threads but I couldn't find anything.

I know there are more than a few of you with body ink and I'd love to hear from you. The good, the bad and the ugly.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you find one that says "hey, that's me"! Then get it. If if doesn't then don't. Do not get one just to have one. DON"T!!!!!!!! You have to remember that tattoo's are like drugs, they are addictive. The more you get the more you want so be careful where you go with this. Uh, or so I have heard, my opinion only, of course.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
i definately agree with everything wade said.

living in SoCal you must know plenty of people with tattoos, ask them where they got theirs done, and how they felt about the place, the artist, and the work.
Heck i wouldnt think twice about asking a complete stranger i saw with a nice tattoo where they got it, and more often than not people will be glad to talk to you about their tattoos. its kinda a tattoo thing in my experience (your mileage may vary, so dont walk up to the guy with the prison tattoos while hes robbing a store and kicking a puppy :uhyeah: )

and to reiterate what wade said about "hey, thats me" if your not certain that you want a particular design on you forever (or until you got lotsa extra cash to either try a coverup, or to be a laser pin-cushion), just wait till you find somthing that is perfect., and most important that it is "you"!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you find one that says "hey, that's me"! Then get it. If if doesn't then don't. Do not get one just to have one. DON"T!!!!!!!! You have to remember that tattoo's are like drugs, they are addictive. The more you get the more you want so be careful where you go with this. Uh, or so I have heard, my opinion only, of course.

Wade speaks the truth..Get one that speaks to you..Whatever you get on ain't coming off..Check out the local tattoo shops and see their work and show them our ideas..Pick up a copy of "Tattoo" magazine and see if any of the your local shops and artists are mentioned...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check out the shops, a few times. Get a good feel for the persons style...not all people who do tattoos are really artists.

Check their health records. Avoid any shop that gives you -any- flak about seeing them. Make sure they are recent.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I too am planning on getting my first tattoo. My problem has always been wanting to get a piece done and I never have the money. Whenever I have the money, I then decide to spend it on other things. My wife tells me that I am just too cheap to actually get it done...unless I can get it for free.

Alot of my friends are inked and the ones who regret it are those who were following pop culture. It is not as if they regret that they are inked, they just regret WHAT they are inked with. They end up spending more money to have cover-ups done.

So, I will reiterate what the esteemed gentleman before me said, opt for the one that screams "hey, that's me!!!" If you follow this sage advice, then you can never go wrong.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One comment from personal experience. DON'T get flash (the pre-drawn designs that most tattoo shops have on display). There's nothing to stop someone else walking in 5 minutes after you leave and getting the same design. Work with the artist you choose to come up with with a custom piece. You're going to have it for a while, might as well make it unique.
I got some flash work done back in my Marine days. It's since been covered by much better work.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too am planning on getting my first tattoo. My problem has always been wanting to get a piece done and I never have the money. Whenever I have the money, I then decide to spend it on other things. My wife tells me that I am just too cheap to actually get it done...unless I can get it for free

You get what you pay for...

One comment from personal experience. DON'T get flash (the pre-drawn designs that most tattoo shops have on display). There's nothing to stop someone else walking in 5 minutes after you leave and getting the same design. Work with the artist you choose to come up with with a custom piece. You're going to have it for a while, might as well make it unique.

Well said Kreth..I have one flash piece.It was done when I believed ALL the BS about how painful tattoos were..

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple of other points:

- Don't haggle/shop on price. Sure the $80 guy is cheaper than the $120 guy...but is the $120 guy better all around?

- Think about it a bit. Don't rush. Most regrets come from 'it was a good idea at the moment'. It took me 32 years for my first one, 3 more for my second one.

- Get references from other locals.

- Check the BBB and Health Department

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got some flash work done back in my Marine days. It's since been covered by much better work.

I absolutely agree, there's nothing more offputting to me that having a piece that someone else might have too. Tattoos are personal and to make it personal, you have to be included in the design.

My back piece is taken from a picture I love, my artist friend took out the bits I didn't want and she's going to work some more colour into it very soon, next week I think.

One thing though, talk to some artists first and when you find the artist that makes you confident that they will do the style you want, then make sure they are licenced (if appropriate where you are) and have the necessary health checks up to date. You can get all sorts of nasties from people who don't do it right.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to commit to my first tattoo. I have a few designs I'm interested in but not sure which one I want to start with. I'd like to have multiple tattoo's by the end of the year if the first one works out good.

What's been stopping me all these years is the fear of having a screwed up tattoo that I have to live with, or worse. So I'm looking for any advice on what to do and especially what NOT to do, how to identify a good and safe artist etc.This may have been covered in other threads but I couldn't find anything.

I know there are more than a few of you with body ink and I'd love to hear from you. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Oh gosh. Where to start. First take your time and visit lots of shops. Don't go to shops who take walk-ins. Look for someone who will give you a free consultation to talk about your design and the way they work. They should have a portfolio to show you as well as be able to explain what makes a good tattoo vs. a bad tattoo. Line value is of the utmost importance if you don't want to end up with a blue blob in ten years.

Also investigate health issues. Are the tattooist wearing gloves? Mask? Eye protection? Are a bunch of tattooist working together in the same space? Blood aerosols travel 12 feet. A tattoo consists of thousands of skin punctures. If people are getting tattooed within 12 feet of each other in an open space they are exchanging microscopic body fluids. What about health inspections? Are they willing to show you their scores?

As Kreth and Drac stated. You get what you pay for. DON'T get a piece of flash. Look for someone who does custom work. If they can freehand the design on you without stenciling, all the better, but I realize it's difficult to find an artist that works that way.

You are wise to consider having a screwed up tattoo and taking your time to find the right tattooist.

Good luck and keep up posted. :asian:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Skip Cooper said: Stay away from pop culture! You never know what turn it will take. I got Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes because I was a huge fan of the strip. Couple of months later, Bill Watterson retired and every mouthbreather in the country slapped a unlicensed Calvin sticker on his pick'emup truck showing him peeing on everything from the Ford logo to "My Baby's Momma". I am not making that last one up.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just got my first at 31 years old. I love it! I had the same fear, that it wouldn't be good enough and I would be disappointed when it was done. Not the case at all. It's beautiful and I can't remember anything more satisfying since I went through a sky diving craze ten years ago. Get something you really want. Find a good artist and listen to his advice. Remember you get what you pay for.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I completely understand what you are experiencing. I am jonsing to get my first tattoo. I have the design already. My husband is excellent at drawing and designing. I explained to him what I wanted and he designed it for me. It's perfect.

My problem now is finding a place. I've searched local places online and viewed the galleries but nothing is standing out to me as great work. Nothing that makes me want to take that next step of going to a shop and speaking with someone. My design is perfect and I don't want someone to mess it up.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some times it is hard to find an artist you trust to do the first one. A while back I decided to finally get a tattoo but after visiting most of the local parlor I decided that I will need to go out of my area to get the work done. I just did not trust the talent of those in my area

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another important point, QG: Ask the artist if he can show you the spore testing results for his autoclave. If he tries to tell you that he sterilizes his equipment with chemicals or by boiling, RUN!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some times it is hard to find an artist you trust to do the first one. A while back I decided to finally get a tattoo but after visiting most of the local parlor I decided that I will need to go out of my area to get the work done. I just did not trust the talent of those in my area

More great advice. Don't hesiate to travel to the right artist. Remember, this is gonna be permanent, you'll be glad you traveled if there are no qualified tattooists in your area.

Kreth said:
Another important point, QG: Ask the artist if he can show you the spore testing results for his autoclave. If he tries to tell you that he sterilizes his equipment with chemicals or by boiling, RUN!

Yep, definitely. Unless all the equipment used is disposable, be sure you have this information. And all bottles and should be covered in plastic. The tattoo machine should be covered in plastic and the pigments in a cabinet, or covered.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Depends. If the artist uses something like Cidex, you're just fine in the sterility department. It will take skin off. It's a standard sterilization chemical used in the medical industry and a heck of a lot easier than maintaining and cleaning an autoclave. What worked for me was paying attention to how they handle the equipment, how often they change gloves, clean the tattooing area, etc. Attention to detail is all important.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends. If the artist uses something like Cidex, you're just fine in the sterility department. It will take skin off. It's a standard sterilization chemical used in the medical industry and a heck of a lot easier than maintaining and cleaning an autoclave.
Is this something that's easily available outside of the medical industry? Typically I've heard of scratchers trying to use stuff like Wavicide.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this something that's easily available outside of the medical industry? Typically I've heard of scratchers trying to use stuff like Wavicide.

That's a good question. We get if from our medical supplier. I would check medical supply houses that do retail. It's the only cleaning solution I've used where I had to wear gloves to protect myself.

Latest Discussions