Final Fu TV show on MTV

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I stopped watching it. And I'm recommending my students to do so as well. The entire show is a big let down. The participants have skills, but the pathetic rules do not let them compete.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
Like any other 'reality" show, I don't suppose there's any way we can get this stopped other than to vote with our tvs.

Such a shame.

Bingo! And yes, a great idea - gone really bad, it's a shame!

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like any other 'reality" show, I don't suppose there's any way we can get this stopped other than to vote with our tvs.

i recomend my students watch it, they come back intrested and asking questions which is a good thing.

with respect,
painstain

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Like all "reality" TV shows, there is a desire to populate the show with young and attractive people who have a lot of flash and can do the fancy stuff that is turning some martial arts into more of a performance art.

I remember when I used to practice forms in the morning in a semi private room at a health club in Pittsburgh. I was practicing 3 lines of Cotton fist, which uses double hammers, snake head strikes, crane beaks, willow leaf palms, inside chops, and only a couple "normal" punches. The desk person stopped me as I was leaving and struck up conversation. In our conversation, she said it didn't look like I was doing any attacks. The point is, to an untrained eye I was just dancing.

Considering this, I think that in order to really impress untrained people you have to do things they can understand. If the show was everything we on MT would like, people like us would be the only watchers and advertisers would not be too pleased.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Considering this, I think that in order to really impress untrained people you have to do things they can understand. If the show was everything we on MT would like, people like us would be the only watchers and advertisers would not be too pleased.

Good point, didn't look at it that way. Makes me think that if we had a show how would we really want it shown?

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh my,

Another episode was on with a different group of top martial artists.

In it there was an Olympic Tae Kwon Do girl going up against a normal everyday Tae Kwon Do'er. She was sure her skills were well above everybodies there and wouldn't have a problem sparing.

When she sparred, she kept her hands down and did not get very many points....so she lost.

Now the name calling and tears come.....she even called the Tae Kwon Do people Tae Kwon Dorks.....she ended up quiting and leaving the show.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
What...you expect an MTV production to have people of emotional maturity?

I really think they have a team of psychologists that profile people during their interview and report to MTV who is most likely to be a spaz.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least the challenges are getting better. Too bad that the sparring is l-a-m-0. Next week is the last.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that Final Fu will not win any "People's Choice" Awards. I don't have tv, so I didn't watch it, but I have a question about the winner. His name is Daniel Sterling. I'm curious (for those who watched the show) how did come across? Did he come across cocky? Or did he carry himself well? I know he's an XMA guy, but he's also a great martial artist. I'm just curious how he carried himself.

Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I understand that Final Fu will not win any "People's Choice" Awards. I don't have tv, so I didn't watch it, but I have a question about the winner. His name is Daniel Sterling. I'm curious (for those who watched the show) how did come across? Did he come across cocky? Or did he carry himself well? I know he's an XMA guy, but he's also a great martial artist. I'm just curious how he carried himself.

Thanks

I thought he came across cocky myself, do you know him IcemanSK?
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I thought he came across cocky myself, do you know him IcemanSK?
Terry

I can't say that I know him, I know of him & his reputation. He's part of the USCDKA & he was at the National Conference we had in May. He lead a class that was very good. I know only good things about him. I met him briefly & was a very nice guy. I do know that he's very competitive. Maybe for him, competitive comes off as cocky.

Thanks Terry, I was curious how he came across.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a good take on a person man. Seriously, it is always good to hear first hand knowledge about people other than just seeing on tv and making our own impression.

Latest Discussions