Fighting Large Grapplers

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As wing chun practitioners we train a lot to fight people larger than us, however that doesn't seem to apply very well when it comes to people who grapple well.

What things do you do to prepare for people who are larger and/or better grapplers?

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Practice getting off the ground. It'll go there anyway at some point, so it's best to know how to get back in your range.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As wing chun practitioners we train a lot to fight people larger than us, however that doesn't seem to apply very well when it comes to people who grapple well.

What things do you do to prepare for people who are larger and/or better grapplers?

Being "larger" and being a "better grappler" are two entirely different kettles of fish, especially when discussing an opponent.

Matched against each other, the larger may be cheaper by the pound, but otherwise, all he is is larger.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Larger/stronger grappler = just scramble harder and stuff just clicks.

Better grappler = you're screwed. Hold out as long as possible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of my favorite training partners was 5-6" taller than me, and outweighed me by probably 70 lbs. I focused on keeping things out of the strength range. If he brought his weight to bear in standing grappling, I just got under it, went low, and dropped him. If he tried to use strength, it would slow him down, giving me opportunities to work with the rigidity strength provides. On the ground, he had more of an advantage, but I was more skilled, so usually came out on top (literally, when I wasn't just trying to get up).

Size and strength brings advantages, but grappling techniques are designed to take advantage of weight shifts and such as openings. More weight shifted means more advantage for some techniques used against them. The risk is when they are equal skill, because they may know which techniques are best suited for you to use against them, and can effectively block most of them. Even then, though, it's possible to do well against larger people.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is apparently only viewable by members of the group - the link simply takes me to the "join group".

Oh well. Like I said, it wasn't a youtube video so I have no other to try and share it.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tried. You get an "A" for participation today. :D

Ack! The dreaded Participation Trophy.

Nobody's really answered WingChunChick's question, y'all. Lots of "Just don't be there" type stuff, which I find funny, but I bet she doesn't.

She asked, "What things do you do to prepare for people who are larger and/or better grapplers?"

In a nutshell, my answer is "practice grappling."

Expanded upon, find a grappling school and go train for a few months (it does take about that long to get a feel for it). But, since your underlying art is WingChun, even though your going to take class and pay attention and try to learn and practice what they are teaching you, when not on their mat, consider what you are learning and how best to integrate that into your own personal system to be able to escape the grappler, evade and get back up and force him/her to have to come inside on your WingChun whirlwind of "now-warned and very motivated" strikes.

If really attacked, and not trying to play the game of grappling, e.g. rules based matches, tournaments, MMA bouts, etc... your goal should NOT be "Fight to Win," but "Fight to Survive." Winning in grappling involves trying to get the other person to submit to you, which, maybe I'm reading into this, but doesn't sound like your motivation. It's to Not be caught in something which could hurt you, or worse. Thus, fight to survive.

Of course,.... you may end up coming over to the Dark Side and hanging out with us weird-o converted strikers now grapplers too, and that's OK.

Hazardi172

Blue Belt
Reaction score

As a female it makes sense to learn Brazilian jiu jitsu- nothing else will give you the kind of advantage that system can give over an unaware male attacker. It is a very counter intuitive way of fighting and gives you options from the kind of bad positions you are likely to end up in if you are attacked for real.

Other than that would recommend joining a real boxing or muay thai gym and getting in some light to medium sparring rounds with men so that you learn what it feels like to be hit and how difficult it is to hit back and cause damage.

Hope that helps :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will come through or not since it is not a youtube video. But here is one guy's take on facing larger opponents.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wingchunforum/search/?query=larger opponent

Don't know why, 'cause I'm pretty dumb about tech, but it worked for me just fine for me. It was a good demo and really illustrates the difference between a self-defense or unplanned fight situation as compared to a competitive bout like MMA. In the unplanned fight, tha little guy can use the element of surprise and pre-emption to get an edge. You can appear vulnerable and then "boom" explode inside, nail some really vulnerable targets, and possibly tilt the scales to "win" --i.e. hurt the other guy and get away.

In s competitive or planned fight, the other guy pretty much knows what's coming and you can't fool him like that. So the good "big'un" should beat the good "little'un" ....and usually does.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Larger: close the gap and dominate.

Better grappler: you need to stay on your feet.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Geezer mentioned explosive energy. This is not directly related, but I give you Emin Boztepe:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And I shall give him right back to you.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

When it comes to good grappling size isn't that huge of an issue. As such, and I raised this in the "outside game" thread, learning grappling is the best path. If for some reason you don't have the time or inclination to do so I can only think of one thing. Find a grappler who is willing to spar with you on a regular basis and with them practice and work out what works best to keep them outside of their "sweet spot" until you create an opportunity to escape the situation entirely.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
in general you try to stay out of their way. And they will try to pressure you and take you down.

Or in other words. Connor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz.

Latest Discussions