Fight Quest and BJJ in Rio, Brazil!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Next week Fight Quest will be in Rio, Brazil and Doug and Jimmy will be training in Brazilian Jiujitsu.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fight-quest/episodes/episodes.html
February 15th!!!
icon6.gif

I think Doug and Jimmy are in for a beating.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they'll be made examples of. Another chance to redeem BJJ's rep, been suffering lately.

I think either Doug or Jimmy would do well in an MMA bout but in a BJJ match with the GI they have alot of things to look out for.
icon6.gif

Fabio

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm excited to watch the next episode. Not only to see how they'll do in BJJ (given the fact that they both have some BJJ experience) but being from Brazil, I'm also curious to see what will be shown about the culture and the country itself. It should be a good episode.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I enjoyed the episode last night and hopefully you will all get to see it. Doug and Jimmy worked hard with Doug being choked out unconscious in training and doing overall pretty well in his match. Jimmy was routinely beaten on in training and suffered an armbar submission in his match that left his arm very, very sore. All in all a very enjoyable show.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm watching it as I type; it's to the final fight portion. I think it's been one of the best episodes, and I think there's a reason for that.

First, BJJ lends itself nicely to the show format. They didn't have to invent the rules for the final fight; they had them. And they're used to teaching quick, relatively intense clinics for visitors (all those MMA guys, etc., who go to Rio for a few days or weeks for a BJJ "tune-up").

Second, they matched the opponents much better. Instead of putting the hosts against black belts/advanced students who have to hold back in order to make a decent show. Or are just being forced to deal with a rule set and training scenario that's unfamiliar. Jimmy fought a purple belt; similarly ranked, and it was a good match. Dog's fight was also against someone with more or less comparable skills.

Finally... they didn't end up falling back into MMA/kickboxing/jiujitsu as they often seem to be doing. (Jimmy really needs to learn to throw a straight right and a hook that isn't an invitation to being KOed...) Of course, that may be because it WAS jiujitsu...

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm watching it as I type; it's to the final fight portion. I think it's been one of the best episodes, and I think there's a reason for that.

First, BJJ lends itself nicely to the show format. They didn't have to invent the rules for the final fight; they had them. And they're used to teaching quick, relatively intense clinics for visitors (all those MMA guys, etc., who go to Rio for a few days or weeks for a BJJ "tune-up").

Second, they matched the opponents much better. Instead of putting the hosts against black belts/advanced students who have to hold back in order to make a decent show. Or are just being forced to deal with a rule set and training scenario that's unfamiliar. Jimmy fought a purple belt; similarly ranked, and it was a good match. Dog's fight was also against someone with more or less comparable skills.

Finally... they didn't end up falling back into MMA/kickboxing/jiujitsu as they often seem to be doing. (Jimmy really needs to learn to throw a straight right and a hook that isn't an invitation to being KOed...) Of course, that may be because it WAS jiujitsu...

Hey Jks9199 I think you hit it on the head why it was a very good episode. They participated in Brazilian Jiujitsu the way it is taught and played every day. They could be paired up with lower ranked guys and those guy's were good. All in all it was fun to watch and makes me want to get to Rio for some intense training.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the show last night, it did well for showing the sport side of BJJ and the choke out was very quick. I also like they way they use the GI to choke out there opponets.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the show last night, it did well for showing the sport side of BJJ and the choke out was very quick. I also like they way they use the GI to choke out there opponets.

Hey Terry when I am down for the seminar if you want to see some GI chokes I will be happy to pass on this skill set. It is definately a skill set worth knowing anywhere where people where coats or even sweatshirts.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Terry when I am down for the seminar if you want to see some GI chokes I will be happy to pass on this skill set. It is definately a skill set worth knowing anywhere where people where coats or even sweatshirts.
icon6.gif

Sure Brian Bring it on

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Watched it last night. Definitely one of the best episodes of Fight Quest.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the show yesterday. I thought it was very good. When I saw Rickson, I was hoping he'd demo something, but regardless, the skill of those guys was top notch.

Fabio

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This was a great episode, very entertaining. It was great that they tried to match their skills well when selecting the opponents for the final fight, that made it a lot more interesting.

What is up with the producers of the show putting them in the most beat up hotels they can find!? Do they think that will make them tougher? That is probably where Jimmy caught something… :lol:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This was a great episode, very entertaining. It was great that they tried to match their skills well when selecting the opponents for the final fight, that made it a lot more interesting.

What is up with the producers of the show putting them in the most beat up hotels they can find!? Do they think that will make them tougher? That is probably where Jimmy caught something… :lol:

I wondered about that as well. In the BJJ episode, doesn;t Doug say he slept on the mat at the school one night? I think maybe the instructors are arranging the accomodations.

Latest Discussions