Feeling sorry for myself

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Keep your spirits high. This may be an opportunity to shape martial arts so that it continues to work for you.

Fighting skills do not fade because of an injury or in ability. It only changes shape to fit the user. When one ability decreases another skill tries to fill the void. When we lose our youth and speed. Wisdom and timing often replaces those things.

We may not be able to do what we used to and that just may mean that we'll just learn a new approach to get good result.

Actually that is how I got to Taijiquan and Chinese martial arts from Jiujutsu and TKD. Change was due to a back injury.

And with that, I am off to do another round of knee stretches and exercises.....its the stretches that are a pain...literally

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was feeling low, depressed and probably a bit sorry for myself this evening, and pretty much convinced my martial arts days were over. Knee was still not great, could not do the amount of required exercise today because I'm working from home and work kept bugging me, could not walk right, knee was getting as stiff as it was before the manipulation, thinking knee replacement was one of the worst decisions of my life...

I decided to go down stairs, had not tried stairs since Friday, and try the reclining bicycle, but I could not get a full revolution, that I could get prior to the manipulation either....

Decided to look for music and came across something I had not heard in a long time, and then a few more I had not heard in a long time. in this order

Ended up getting thought a full revolution on the bike, forwards and backwards, it hurt, but I did it and I actually did 10 minutes, I usually do 8. Then went to the weight bench and did some dumbbell work, heavier that I was doing (no where near as heavy as I was working with before all this knee stuff in my late 40s) but heavier than I was

I have to listen to those old metal tunes from my misspent youth more often

And.... I feel better now, dang knee is still not right, but I'm still working on it...and I have more rounds of knee exercises to do tonight.....
Looks like you're up to ten minutes now, eight being a thing of the past. Heat that puppy up, work it, ice it down. We're with you, brother. And it's going to be okay.

In honor of your upcoming progress, I won't eat bacon for a week.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Looks like you're up to ten minutes now, eight being a thing of the past. Heat that puppy up, work it, ice it down. We're with you, brother. And it's going to be okay.

In honor of your upcoming progress, I won't eat bacon for a week.

No bacon...for a week....thank you...and I consider that a victory too :D

On my way to heat it up again and then go do my 2nd 10 minute round, today, on the bike... then ice

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
No bacon...for a week....thank you...and I consider that a victory too :D

On my way to heat it up again and then go do my 2nd 10 minute round, today, on the bike... then ice

I burned my fingers tonight grilling chicken. First degree, nothing serious, and it hurts a lot, but the ice does help.

My first thought upon feeling the pain was this song, thanks to you.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well.... its official. PT told me I should not be driving. I made the mistake of telling them I was going to try. Oh well, more time to do their exercises I guess

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Was feeling low, depressed and probably a bit sorry for myself this evening, and pretty much convinced my martial arts days were over. Knee was still not great, could not do the amount of required exercise today because I'm working from home and work kept bugging me, could not walk right, knee was getting as stiff as it was before the manipulation, thinking knee replacement was one of the worst decisions of my life...

I decided to go down stairs, had not tried stairs since Friday, and try the reclining bicycle, but I could not get a full revolution, that I could get prior to the manipulation either....

Decided to look for music and came across something I had not heard in a long time, and then a few more I had not heard in a long time. in this order

Ended up getting thought a full revolution on the bike, forwards and backwards, it hurt, but I did it and I actually did 10 minutes, I usually do 8. Then went to the weight bench and did some dumbbell work, heavier that I was doing (no where near as heavy as I was working with before all this knee stuff in my late 40s) but heavier than I was

I have to listen to those old metal tunes from my misspent youth more often

And.... I feel better now, dang knee is still not right, but I'm still working on it...and I have more rounds of knee exercises to do tonight.....
I''m eighty and I still teach "only" adult students. I'm still fast and strong and many thing I'm 30 years younger. I've had all kinds of physical problems, you just work through them. Now, both my shoulders are shot! If I move too fast and I'm screaming in pain. So I do shoulder weights and I learn how to do technqiues with my arm not going out so far. You learn, adapt and defend!
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Latest Discussions