Area around knee always messing up.

ukiltmybrutha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't posted hers in many years. I ultimately stopped doing Krav Maga as the location was way too far away and the local facility said I was too rough. I put an ad on Craigslist for mutual hands on and no one would do it so I gave up.

Years later I got into law enforcement. Alot of the techniques involve takedowns and my knees can't handle very much at all. After a takedown I can't even pivot my leg over someone without hurting the entire area including the hamstring and the knees are tender even on mats.

I did see the ortho who did x-rays, MRI etc and found nothing. He did say that there is no exercise that I could do which could damage anything which I don't believe since they found nothing. He did say to focus on the hamstrings.

I do have an inspire cable machine and cannot believe how weak my muscles are in spite of walking every day for 30 minutes. I am talking about trouble with lifting 5 pounds with front lifts on the machine and the same with hamstring curls.

I also work on my cars a bit and I am having a tough time getting off the creeper which was never an issue when younger.

I am approaching 47 years of age. I am losing weight and lifting at the same time for a holistic approach. I am about 5'10/204

Many years of slamming my knees on the concrete when when wrenching on cars and being extremely flatfooted doesn't help although I wear the right shoes and insoles.

Any ideas on exercises on making things better since I "can't make it worse"?

Lol.

Thanks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Years later I got into law enforcement. Alot of the techniques involve takedowns and my knees can't handle very much at all. After a takedown I can't even pivot my leg over someone without hurting the entire area including the hamstring and the knees are tender even on mats.

I did see the ortho who did x-rays, MRI etc and found nothing. He did say that there is no exercise that I could do which could damage anything which I don't believe since they found nothing. He did say to focus on the hamstrings.
My pre covid advice would be to go see a good massage therapist. You injury sounds similar to the one that I had where my tendons got wrapped around in a bad way. A GOOD Therapist should be able to feel if something is twisted and not laying down correctly. Then they can get it back in it's proper position. But with covid, I'm not sure if that would be a good plan.

I do have an inspire cable machine and cannot believe how weak my muscles are in spite of walking every day for 30 minutes. I am talking about trouble with lifting 5 pounds with front lifts on the machine and the same with hamstring curls.
This will happen if tendons and muscles get wrapped around each other. It drains strength big time. For me I was unable to support my weight walking down the steps. My muscles were so weak that I would fall into the next step. Basically every time that leg had to support that motion my leg would just give. I had to walk down steps using the same good leg to lower my weight. From what you are describing, this is similar to what I experienced.

You can actually make it worse. I would seek an good massage therapist or alternative doctor that has the ability to feel when tendons and muscles are out of place. I'll see if I can find the doctor that helped me, I can't remember the field he was in. The reason I say Alternative medicine is because that person may be able to fix the issue without cutting you. Modern western doctors are quick to do surgery. They also like to run tests as well. You may have a different answer if someone has spent a majority of their lives and professional career feeling with their hands how things are supposed to be aligned.

When I had problems with my hamstring. It issue wasn't my hamstrings. The issue was in my knee that affected the hamstring. The doctor that worked on me also took Tai Chi at the same school. He fixed me after a class one day and I'm so glad I let him to try. I figure what was the worst that could happen, he's not cutting into me, so the worst in my mind was a massage.

I'll see if I can find the link to this website because I can't remember what type of medicine he practices.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't posted hers in many years. I ultimately stopped doing Krav Maga as the location was way too far away and the local facility said I was too rough. I put an ad on Craigslist for mutual hands on and no one would do it so I gave up.

I also work on my cars a bit and I am having a tough time getting off the creeper which was never an issue when younger.

I am approaching 47 years of age. I am losing weight and lifting at the same time for a holistic approach. I am about 5'10/204

Many years of slamming my knees on the concrete when when wrenching on cars and being extremely flatfooted doesn't help although I wear the right shoes and insoles.

Lol.

Thanks.
You need to wear a brace, a pad, and take as many pain relievers as you can handle. Take time to recover after doing what you need to do. Getting older just sucks. That's just the way it is.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
Try everything that makes sense. People react differently to different treatments. I had two different custom braces, neither did much. I had all kinds of injections, cortisone and others. Nothing. Pain meds and ice helped some.

Here's the punch line: I finally had to have a total knee replacement. It was an arduous recovery process, but now years later I am really glad I had it done.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try everything that makes sense. People react differently to different treatments. I had two different custom braces, neither did much. I had all kinds of injections, cortisone and others. Nothing. Pain meds and ice helped some.

Here's the punch line: I finally had to have a total knee replacement. It was an arduous recovery process, but now years later I am really glad I had it done.
I had my left knee replaced earlier this year. It is SO much better standing, much better and continuing to get better walking. I am just starting to get the feeling back around the knee so it is still feels weird to kneel down on it. It has been my weak leg for years but is quickly becoming my dominant leg again.

Things that have not changed in my left leg is the noises (pops, knocks, snaps, etc...), minor pain on transition, and stepping down with weight. But I am 58 so some of that just goes with the territory.
The noises have been there for years and about every kind or medical professional has looked at it, many of them throwing their hands up. Three of the four ligaments have been torn (at different times) so the most common theme that makes sense to me is that the left knee is just 'looser' than the right.
On the machines at the gym I am about 30 pounds weaker on my left leg.

To the OP, be smart, be informed, and get the right kind of exercise. Do NOT go to an Ortho until you truly feel you have no other choice. If an MRI shows you still have healthy cartilage then you may have to Wisely work through some pain and discomfort.
Get with a trainer at your gym and let them know what is going on. They should be able to design a workout plan that fits your needs.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi,

Lol.

Thanks.
I feel your pain, bro. Insoles, if they are off the rack insoles from the drug store, they aren't going to help much. If they are, you need to go to a good foot doctor and have them make orthotics for you. You stand in two square boxes filled with...whatever it is. They use that for a mold and build an orthotic for the biomechanical issues of your feet alone.

Then, if you can find one, seek out a chiropractor who has a degree in Kinesiology.

I know we're all different, and I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I would have been retired from Martial Arts thirty years ago had I not done those very things.

Latest Discussions