Feedback wanted: Salve Regina (indoors, no electricity)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understandably, the subject matter is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, so please turn away if you are not interested in viewing Roman Catholic imagery.

This is a bit different than the kind of shots I usually do. These shots were all indoors, using sunlight from the windows, and a flash. I do not yet have an external strobe.

Feedback would be appreciated, as I am redoing some of the shots before I leave and would like to know how to make them better :)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First 2 shots... kind of boring (to me anyway) Nothing exciting going on, photos are slightly on the flat side...I DO like #3 though! I like the light peeking through the open door....gives a feeling of movement and anticipation!
#4, would be much better perspective if you had shot it straight on, the shot seems heavy on the bottom left because of the pews, photo is slightly tilted to the left as well.
Good attempt though!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree; the first two are just blah. They're pics of stuff on walls... I like the last two, and I personally like the composition of the last one. The pews and the aisle seem to lead your attention to the cross, and I like the lightness on top... It conveys a feeling that seems appropriate to a depiction of the Risen Christ on the cross. But that may be my familiarity with the religious symbolism bleeding through...

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First 2 shots... kind of boring (to me anyway) Nothing exciting going on, photos are slightly on the flat side...I DO like #3 though! I like the light peeking through the open door....gives a feeling of movement and anticipation!
#4, would be much better perspective if you had shot it straight on, the shot seems heavy on the bottom left because of the pews, photo is slightly tilted to the left as well.
Good attempt though!!

Thanks for the feedback! I *really* appreciate the constructive input. I forget sometimes that things I've experienced with my own eyes do not necessarily make sense to someone viewing the photos. This was a good reminder. :)

Had a very hard time with barrel distortion on that one. It was hard for me to straighten it without something looking out of wack...and I'm still too photoshop motarded to figure out how to fix it there...LOL.

I'll shoot the Risen Christ again tomorrow before I leave, providing I can get access. The pews in the chapel are uneven (there are more on one side than there are on the other). I'll see if I can shoot closer in so there is a more symmetrical appearance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also like the way the rafters and rooflines frame the Risen Christ...

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took this the same day, its a shot closer in.

Great North Woods midweek 068 by Sikaranista, on Flickr

Granted, I've recently returned to my Catholic roots after a very long time away. I don't want to think I've seen everything, but this looks to me like a very unusual way to depict Christ. It is not literal.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like this last one best, though I feel the symmetry of the shot is thrown off by the rafters. Perhaps a closer shot? Or I may be completely delusional…. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like this last one best, though I feel the symmetry of the shot is thrown off by the rafters. Perhaps a closer shot? Or I may be completely delusional…. :)

No you're not delusional in the least. :)

Latest Discussions