Which forms do you practice?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a fan of poomse, i've been wondering...I guess this is mainly for the WTFers....Just curious to what everyone on the board here practices...Tae Guek, Palgwe or both....

we only do the palgwe forms...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do Taeguek and after 1st Dan, traditional forms-Chonji, Toesan, Tangun, etc. which are ITF forms but stylized WTF. Funny, my instructor just had that conversation about some of the moves are a little different from regular ITF. So I have to practice twenty forms so far. I've tested for those but can't learn any more until I do my break. Wonder if that's a blessing, its hard enough to keep 20 up. TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand Palgwe is one of the oldest forms. If you are WTF why don't you do Taeguek? TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's just the way our school is

as i understand it, palgwe were used by the WTF until the Tae guek forms were created because they wanted more "korean" forms, if you watch some traditional karate kata and the palgwe's you'll see striking similarities...

as for why we don't do the taegueks...i don't know...it's just never been part of what we do...in fact, most all schools in my area teach palgwe's...but that stems from the fact that most schools in this area trace their history back to the same person...

S

sifu nick

We follow the ITF style forms chon-ji, tan-gun, to-san, etc until black belt. Black belt form is Koryo for us. A little diferent then others i'm sure, but it works for us.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm not WTF, but I just thought I'd mention that the Palgwe series noticeably has a lot in common with the older Pyong-an series that are part of the forms we practice. (Also known as Pinan, or Heian series).

From what I've seen of the Tae Guek series, they seem be simpler than the Palgwe forms.

B

bluespacething

I would like to see the Tae Guek patterns sometime since we do Palgwe. I think the black belt pattern (not sure since I'm not one) is Koryo.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We teach tae Gueks and the chon ji system both ITF and WTF get a little confusing for some in the beginning but after a few months they get it right... GOD BLESS AMERICA

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Taegueks up until high green are pretty simple. After that they are more interesting. I had heard that the Palgwe system was simple too--from my instructor. Since I learned the ITF, I like practicing those a lot more. Chung Mu, high red, was the neatest one with the 360° which took me a while with my bad knee :( and actually set me back some. The regular bb form for Taeguek is Koryo and the ITF set, Kwang Gye. The latter is my preferred bb form too probably because of the side kicks but they are both nice. Since I know both systems now maybe I will know Palgwe if someone does that in a tournament. Would be interesting to see all the forms though. TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do the Palgue/Koryo series because those are the forms our Grandmaster learned in Korea. I do remember he was a bit concerned when he brought Hae Man Park over to teach his students because we never did Taegeuk forms, and Hae Man Park helped originate them. HM Park assured him it was acceptable to do the Palgue forms, so that's what we do.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
The Taegueks up until high green are pretty simple. After that they are more interesting. I had heard that the Palgwe system was simple too--from my instructor.
it's actually the same...up to palgwe sam chang they're pretty simple...palgwe sa chang is really the transitional point between the simpler forms and the harder forms...which makes sense, because it's the 4th of the 8 forms

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also...thanks for the link of for the forms...i've never really seen the tae geuks before...i'd really like to learn those at some point...but, alas...the chance are slim right now..we don't teach them...and i enjoy my instructors too much to ever think of going somewhere else

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for those of you who have practiced more than one style of forms...

which do you prefer to do?

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my original dojang, we did the Tae Guk Poomse. When I switched dojangs, my teacher taught me Choong-Mu pattern, which I found to be a lot more interesting than Koryo. I liked it more because of the lack of symmetry that made it seem to simulate the incongruencies of a fighting environment and because of the fact that the techniques seem to flow together more fluidly.

T

Tkang_TKD

In my school, we learn both Palgwe and Taeguek starting at yellow belt, and all the way up to High Brown (1st Gup). We then learn Koryo at black belt. I forget off the top of my head what the names of the forms are above black belt (I'm not quite there yet).

I can't really say that I prefer one set of forms over the other, but I do like the higher forms (Palgwe 5/Taeguek 5 and above) with the exeption of Taeguek 7 thus far. I know the form, but it lacks function from my perspective.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one that practices Pinan forms here?

Latest Discussions