Favorite Kuen Kuit or other saying?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of the Kuen Kuit don't really speak to me. Maybe because they don't translate well, are too specific, deal with aspects of the art I'm less concerned with (mo duk), or what have you. On the other hand, there are mottos or sayings that I have found really helpful. Some are traditional WC Kuen Kuit. Others come from coaches, teachers or wherever, but still apply.

My all time favorite is, "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" which my sifu loosely translated as "Stay with what comes, follow the retreat, and thrust forward when the way is free." To me, this contains the very essence of WC. But whole essays have been written on that. A pretty weighty topic for this thread.

By contrast, here's a less profound saying that is probably more relevant to this discussion. I'm not even sure if I've got it quite right since I got it from a non-speaker of Cantonese (a little help anyone?):

"Mo gung kau, gung chi sau!" Don't work your mouth, work your sticking hands! --Post your thoughts. Or a favorite phrase of your own. I'm off to practice.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, I'm back. Had to go to the park to do some staff work since the irrigation came in this morning and my back yard is all wet and muddy. It was a short workout though, and when I quit around noon, the temp was already well above 100. That's just summer in Arizona.

Anyway, here's another in English: Fight nose to nose, not nose to fist. Anybody got the Cantonese for that? Regardless, I like it because it reminds me to face my opponent's center.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" does hold the essence of WC.

I always liked my sihing Eric's quote: "Occupy space, punch'em in the face"
Doesn't get much more direct than that!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't exactly what you are talking about, but it still fits into the philosophy of wing chun. In the TAO TE CHING, they express the idea that one ought to be like water, that when a man is alive he is flexible but when he is dead, he is stiff. These ideas were the inspiration behind Bruce Lee's "be formless, shapeless, like water" monologue in LONGSTREET.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" does hold the essence of WC.

I always liked my sihing Eric's quote: "Occupy space, punch'em in the face"
Doesn't get much more direct than that!

Ohhhh! That's a good one. I'm using it in the next class. Wisdom from Heitmuller. Thanks JP.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorites is down there in my signature. Need to remind myself of that one whenever I start slacking off.

Another version of that that I hear around the mokwoon occasionally, used usually if someone were to ask for a shortcut, the response might simply be "kung fu is kung fu".

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------
My sifu Augustine Fong has an extensive collection of kuen kuit. Some tacit knowledge of wing chun ( body, mind, spirit) imo is necessary to understand the intent of each kuit.
Here is a selection of just the maxims- there is more for other topics.I like each of them.

- Retain what comes in, send off what retreats. Rush in on loss of hand contact.
- Do not be lax when your opponent is not advancing.
- Once your opponent moves, his center of gravity changes.
- Make the first move to have control. Attack according to timing.
- Timing is achieved through practice.
- A strong attitude and posture gives an advantage over your opponent.
- Being alert and adapting to the situation allows maximum results for minimum effort.
- The body follows the movement of the hands. The waist and the stance move together.
- Complement the hands with posture to make good use of the centerline.
- The eyes and the mind travel together, paying attention to leading edge of attack.
- Charge into the opponent. Execute three moves together.
- Strike any presented posture if it is there. Otherwise strike where you see motion. Beware of sneak attacks, leakage attacks and invisible centerline attacks.
- Soft and relaxed strength will put your opponent in jeopardy.
- Coordinate the hands and feet. Movement is together.
- Do not take risks and you will always connect to the target.
- Have confidence and your calmness will dominate the situation.
- Occupy the inner gate to strike deep into the defense.
- To win in an instant is a superior achievement.
- The Yin Yang principle should be thoroughly understood.
- The theory of Wing Chun has no limit in it applications.
- Be humble to request your teacher for guidance.
- Understand the principles for your training.
- Upon achieving the highest level of proficiency, the application of techniques will vary according to the opponent.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
My sig says it ever since I started here and Eric made me laugh !

Latest Discussions