Results of our training session

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got some lessons learned the hard way but also came out a bit more experienced.

First I wanted to learn to stay at long range so I can keep my composure, circle the jab. Match a step with a step. Doesn't work because they will straight blast so no matter how much of a back step you took, you'll be in trouble.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events after this point so I'll go with what I remember.

We did Dan Chi Sao, but not the regular way. It's like Chi Sao with all the techniques we knew. One arm, fast, real hits. There was the normal inside/outside common to every WC student and we also did outside/outside (back of our hands against the other).

It was a very interesting exercise because you must adhere to WC concepts 100%. If you make a mistake, you get hit. For instance, I got hit a lot when I huen sao to get on top of his arm but he hit as soon as he feels it. This taught me to jum sao when I feel it coming in. I'm glad he hit me because it taught me to do it on reaction or else I get hit.

Another very important thing that I learned was to RELAX. If you're not relaxed you're not going to move your arm fast enough to react. You also won't be able to manipulate his energy either. Once I relaxed it was like an entirely new level of the exercise. At first, I was tensing up a lot because there's so much going on that relaxing is at the back of my mind.

They got me doing some Chi Sao too. I haven't been classically trained, so I got the run-down on it. My poon sau needs work but it was good just doing it though. I tried to apply luk sao but I learned the hard way that there is a reason why it's not introduced until later. I wasn't sensitive enough and I realized it is a very very slight feeling and that is what I have to react to. At this point, as a self-trainer, I feel that I'm in over my head LOL

So towards the end, it was going into the sparring part of the evening of which I was not a participant of. I'm just not ready for it yet. However during the sparring, I brought up the topic of Loi Lau Hoi Sung. Yes, I should have known as a WC guy that this concept is one of THE most important concepts but I never thought to practice it.

Another thing we ran through was bridging. This is something I felt we had to work on because during sparring, hits were coming in really fast but bridge contact was being made, nothing was done about it. Worked on following up after contact on the outside and inside part of the arm. The offense would go in to make contact and deliver forward or cross energy. Defense would feel the energy and react appropriately.

Coming out of there, I felt that I had a list of what I did well and what I had to work on.

• Stepping back during a chain punch is bad
  • being the repository of information that I am, I turn out to be a great coach. I was able to demonstrate the technique and concept correctly, observe mistakes, etc.
  • relax
  • Jum sao from a fook sao position
  • Peripheral vision and awareness is an important but difficult skill to develop
  • punching and stepping forward w/ power is more difficult than it looks. lots of practice and a bag is needed.
  • developing cardio is paramount to any fighter

There's probably more but I'm too tired to think straight, I'll see if I can come up with more.

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
So does this mean you actually went to a class then?

If so Im proud of you :p

Dan Chi Sau is one of my favorite training exercises. Theres loads of times my girlfriend or friends try and be cocky when theyve had a drink and I control them with just one hand.

Im glad you got the chance to do some proper rolling as well.

Im also happy to see you enjoyed yourself aswell and that your training is going well and youre getting to see new stuff.

OP
C

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
So does this mean you actually went to a class then?

If so Im proud of you :p

Dan Chi Sau is one of my favorite training exercises. Theres loads of times my girlfriend or friends try and be cocky when theyve had a drink and I control them with just one hand.

Im glad you got the chance to do some proper rolling as well.

Im also happy to see you enjoyed yourself aswell and that your training is going well and youre getting to see new stuff.

well this is free practice between some JKD students and a boxer. Those guys have been properly trained in it so I'm not worried if we weren't under any expert guidance

Latest Discussions