Favorite Belt Saying/Pledge

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
It's a law enforcement term that has to do with stress management as well as conservation of ammunition in a shooting situation. It simply means; 2 shots centermass and watch what happens. If the threat is neutralized, fine, if not go to the "failure drill." 1 additional shot to the Central Nervous System Motherboard. Repeat as neccessary.
Ha ha ha ha ah-ha again, thanks Doc that makes total sense....
Interesting I keep hearing how the seniors learned different things from Mr. Parker, so Mr. C is that what you learned:cheers: or were you pulling my ponytail? :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Ha ha ha ha ah-ha again, thanks Doc that makes total sense....
Interesting I keep hearing how the seniors learned different things from Mr. Parker, so Mr. C is that what you learned:cheers: or were you pulling my ponytail? :)
Actually I'm very proud to say Ed Parker learned the "failure drill" from me. I was in a very unique situation, that allowed me access to people and tools Ed Parker was fascinated with. He loved weapons of all types, and guns in particular. His gun collection was massive, some of which I helped him acquire including 2 sequential serial numbered Uzi SMG's. (For the record Mrs. Parker gave all of them away)

We spent a lot of time at the L.A. County Sheriff's Range, and everybody knew who he was and would crowd around when we showed up. Many would be surprised to know Parker was an excellent shot with a handgun, and on occassion would "carry." Weapon of choice, Colt model 1911 45, or S & W "L" frame CHP issue 357. He was protected in California and other states as well where he was a "reserve deputy" with issued badge and I.D.

He was the first to teach the Utah Highway Patrol while going to BYU and he found the self defense possibilities intriguing and a challenge, so some of the things we did were simply a natural extension of of that.

A couple of years he had me hire police officers and sheriff's deputies to work security at the IKC, just so he could watch how they interacted and handled people. Then he would give an impromptu seminar expressing some of his ideas when we got all the guys together, in the evening.

Once he was concerned that one of our officers, (big Mitch Grace LAPD) had a holster where the weapon could be taken away rather easily. Then in the private seminar with officers, when he tried he failed. He couldn't figure out what was wrong. When it was pointed out the holster was a "Clamshell", (2 spring loaded shaped and locked pieces of metal with weapon molded inserts covered in leather, impossible to open unless you know how), he burst into laughter and was overjoyed at the experience. He literally spent the rest of the evening playing with the holster and examining every facet of it, trying to figure a way to defeat the design. He literally sat there, would activate the mechanism, watch the holster pop open, and then giggle to himself like a child with a new toy.

Many of the things I learned from him were built around law enforcement application scenarios, where sticking your fingers in a guys eyes was obviously unacceptable. SubLevel Four Kenpo, (once again MY term) in part, was really born I think out of his fascination with law enforcement and he planned a series of LE security books and videos we never got to complete. I however did, finish 2 volumes of video, (Universal Arrest & Control) after his death. His influences and techniques are obvious in those videos I dedicated to him.

The man's knowledge was significant in all aspects of martial activity, and goes well beyond what most see in their limited vision of what he taught some of them or what most saw. People would tell me all the things that "Kenpo doesn't do or have," and I'd remind them there is a reason why masters from all arts and cultures had a healthy respect for Ed Parker; he could literally do it all, and not just what most saw. Ask Gene Lebell, or Wally Jay or the late Remy Prasas, Jimmy Woo, Sea Oh Choi, Hidetaka Nishiyama, Mas Oyama, etc. Whatever the flavor, Parker could put some hot sauce on it, and serve it back up to you, make you like it, and they new it.

Oh yeah, I'd LOVE to pull your pony tail. :)

K

kenpoevolution

I remember that one that kids really like is "he who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position." Beyond the rhyming and superficial appeal, I suppose that it can teach kids to be cautious and aware in a dangerous situation.

By the way Gin, I think this thread was a great idea, good as a jumpboard for deep discussion.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite saying is "I'd rather be judged by 12 men than carried by 6." In my opinion that has a great deal about the mind set one should have in a SD situation.

I also like the 3rd Brown Pledge as well.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great stories Doc...

Doc said:
Oh yeah, I'd LOVE to pull your pony tail. :) Is that off topic?
:rofl: Very funny...
Do you have to do it twice? And I've seen the videos...I choose flight :D

Back to topic :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Great stories Doc...

:rofl: Very funny...
Do you have to do it twice? And I've seen the videos...I choose flight :D

Back to topic :)
Wasn't me. I don't know how that happened. And don't make me chase you.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpoevolution said:
By the way Gin, I think this thread was a great idea, good as a jumpboard for deep discussion.
Thanks--see you at class tomorrow! :asian:

Latest Discussions