Fighting the Injury Blues

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
As others have mentioned - sometimes breaks (providing there is no long term injury) can often be blessings in disguise. Often we restart at a much higher level than we left and find that we have a new and greater perspective that pulled us out of a rut that we did not know we were in.

I have hurt my neck two years in a row about the same time both years (right before christmas). The injuries were so bad that I needed help putting socks on the first two days until some of the pain subsided. The first time I got very depressed as I am a bit of a freak about training. You start to feel like it's never going to end and it can get under your skin as I'm sure you have noticed. The second time it happened I knew it was going to end and I just needed to ride it out. I took the opportunity to let myself relax and I realized just how hectic I could be when I was always on the go. It gave me the chance to "empty my cup" as the Taoists say. When you never stop going, you have no chance to reflect on all the stuff you have done (your cup overflows). I suggest you use the down time to just relax. Don't be in a big hurry to get back to training. You'll spend so much time thinking about getting back you'll miss the chance to just chill out for a while, and lets face it, you should be allowed considering you are injured and in pain. It's healthy and you deserve it.

When you do go back, be careful for a while. If you are anything like me you'll want to jump in where you left off. This is the fast road to re-injuring yourself. Any pain you feel is a warning so do not ignore it. I did (trying to be tough) and I made what sould have been a three week recovery into a three month recovery (the first time only, I'm thick sometimes but not that thick). Listen to your body; it's quite smart and will let you know when to slow down. It is up to you to pay attention and trust it.

I hope you get beeter soon.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gin Gin, I'm a little late on this one, but you seem to have gotten great advice already. But I feel your pain .....

I had a knee injury (2002), back injury (2003), hip injury (2004), and I just recovered from surgery (unrelated to MA). Like you, I didn't stay away from the dojang. I modified my training for the first three. But I couldn't train for 3 weeks after surgery (and I still can't spar yet), but I visited the dojang, watched class, and helped out when I felt comfortable. It drove me NUTS to sit there and watch my class while I wasn't in class. I give you credit for that.

But I did a lot of mental training, as mentioned already. That helped a lot.

I hope you get back to training soon. It felt great when I did. Now I just can't wait to spar (my next hurdle ;) ).

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Thanks, SheSulsa! *walks over & hugs SS*

Seriously, I can't thank all of you enough--because I live alone, it's easy to feel sorry for myself & slip into "the blues." The few close friends I have are busy with work & their own lives & most of my family lives out of town &/or has health problems & are in worse shape than me. I know this is a temporary thing, but it's places like this that not only have interesting threads to discuss, but a place for a friendly voice to say, "Yeah, I've been there" when you need one.

:asian:

Gin, You ALWAYS will have our support here on MT. I know I sometimes come here to unwind and find some support when down. I am glad you went to class and watched. If your instructor doesn't have a problem with it, I would go more often. Sometimes watching a class can give you a whole new perspective on techniques and then you can always practice them mentally until you heal, that way you will be that much further ahead when you return. :) Also, can you not sit and practice the upper body techniques either at home or during a class you are sitting in on? That way you are still practicing and at the same time mentally doing the lower body part of the techs. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently injured my left knee, and while I couldn't really do much in class, I was able to go and stretch. Tiger Balm is good for the soreness, too.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I think a place like MT is a good place to talk about these things because even if your family/friends are sympathetic to your injury they don't appreciate the loss you feel not being able to practice martial arts, even if for just a short while.
So true.

Thanks EB, Lisa (love your new avatar LOL!), Laurie, Kenpo_man, tkdgirl (& anyone else I might have missed). :) A quick update: everything seems to be healing ok (just taking time); I bought myself some flowers & took a care package to a friend who is in bed from major back surgery, which made me feel good too--I'm grateful that I'm not bedridden...whew! Sorry I haven't been online much lately, have been trying to catch up on cleaning my apartment so it doesn't look like such a pig sty; vacuuming for a few minutes one day, doing the dishes the next, folding laundry, etc. & keeping off my feet in between tasks as much as I can. Visualization, leg lifts & stretching help a lot...plus, my instructor asked me to come in & help with the kids class one night last week. I really enjoyed that; not only was it good to be in the dojo again, but it was a challenge because I couldn't do the stances so I had to describe them verbally in as much detail as possible as well as use one of the kids as a model to show the correct foot position (hope I did ok, Mr. B).
smileJap.gif
So I'm still being challenged & learning new things even though I can't physically practice all of my own material yet--hmmm, funny how that works...
biggrin.gif

Hope everyone else out there with injuries is "hanging in there" & taking care of themselves too.
Gin-Gin :)

P.S. - A woman at work has started teaching a free Yoga class for beginners during the Lunch hour & I went to my first class today. I've never taken Yoga before, & I told her that I was injured but she reassured me that I could just do the postures that didn't aggravate my foot & ankle. I feel great, & to be honest, it was more difficult than I thought it would be. A lot of time was spent on breathing & relaxation (which I'm still trying to learn in Kenpo
wink.gif
). Good stuff!

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing the most important thing after being injured - taking care of yourself and not dwelling on it.

Keeping busy, as you obviously have been, is a great idea. I'm glad to see you are so upbeat and even looking at new things (yoga) while you heal.

All the best and keep your chin up!!:)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin, that's good news :) I'm glad your feeling a little better. You sound more upbeat. Good for you :)

I tweaked my bad knee at work today ... gggrrr. I don't think it's bad, but a little sore. Walking doesn't hurt, just turning does ... that can be a problem with kicking techs :(

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin:

I'm glad you're feelin' better, too. I'm glad you've been around to encourage us here on MT when you're not trainin. Its a great way to stay connected to MA. I'm the type of person that can get apathetic during training. Injury snaps me out of it immediately (Read: I get hurt & can't train is when I want to the most.)

Whether you are able to train or not, you can still study & be an asset to other students in your school. My late kickboxing trainer suffered from a brain tumor which over 5 years & 4 surgeries took him from an incredible athlete to a man that could barely walk. I tell you that to tell you that he still taught lead daily & trained world class fighters...with his voice. There's still much you can do when you can't train. But I echo your frustration when ya can't.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I'm glad to see you are so upbeat and even looking at new things (yoga) while you heal.
Yes, it was quite a reality check--I found out that I'm not as flexible as I thought I was, & that Yoga is not as easy as it looks. Luckily most of the poses we did were done in either a sitting position or on my knees (which is away from the injured areas).
IcemanSK said:
Gin: I'm glad you're feelin' better, too. I'm glad you've been around to encourage us here on MT when you're not trainin. Its a great way to stay connected to MA. I'm the type of person that can get apathetic during training. Injury snaps me out of it immediately (Read: I get hurt & can't train is when I want to the most.)

Whether you are able to train or not, you can still study & be an asset to other students in your school. My late kickboxing trainer suffered from a brain tumor which over 5 years & 4 surgeries took him from an incredible athlete to a man that could barely walk. I tell you that to tell you that he still taught lead daily & trained world class fighters...with his voice. There's still much you can do when you can't train. But I echo your frustration when ya can't.
Thanks, Iceman--your late trainer sounds like he was quite a guy. I appreciate the support, & I like your signature quote. :asian:

Laurie & tkdgirl, hope your knees are doing better...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you're doing better physically and Emotionally Jynne~!! Great that MB is having you teach the kids~! :D
I can tell you from experience that injury of any kind does put the damper on your spirit. I'm constantly fighting with problems that crop up since my car accident..and it just gets worse .. but I persevere.. I just don't do what everyone else does and that's one thing I love about Kenpo.. the Tailoring aspect. I have a torn rotator cuff so there's no way I can use that shoulder.. so no left sided tecs for me.. and No obscure elbows .. you know what I'm saying :)
You do what you can.. and Don't do what you hurts you.. Keep up the Great Spirit Jynne~!!

*Big Hugs*

~Tess

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Gin- Gin. My knee doesn't hurt like it used to, but I'm still nervous when it comes to certain kicks/ jumps. Someone told me it'll take a few more weeks before it's 100% better. I'm not exactly the most patient person when it comes to getting better, but I'm working on it. My instructor fusses at me if I'm even close to doing something wrong. That helps me to remember that I still have an injury. I'm glad you are doing better, it just takes a while, and I'm also glad you found something else to get into.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
I'm glad you're doing better physically and Emotionally Jynne~!! Great that MB is having you teach the kids~! :D
I can tell you from experience that injury of any kind does put the damper on your spirit. I'm constantly fighting with problems that crop up since my car accident..and it just gets worse .. but I persevere.. I just don't do what everyone else does and that's one thing I love about Kenpo.. the Tailoring aspect. I have a torn rotator cuff so there's no way I can use that shoulder.. so no left sided tecs for me.. and No obscure elbows .. you know what I'm saying :)
You do what you can.. and Don't do what you hurts you.. Keep up the Great Spirit Jynne~!!

*Big Hugs*

~Tess
Thanks, Tess--Big Hugs back at ya! :)

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wavey:

A quick update: After going through some blues this month (from a combination of nasty weather & dealing with work & family stressors) I started physical therapy last Thursday (will go twice a week for 3 weeks then get re-evaluated). My foot & ankle seem to be responding well to it, which makes me feel better because it means that I'm a little closer to getting back to my regular training...there's "light at the end of the tunnel."

Hope everyone is doing well, especially my fellow injured MAers. This experience is teaching me a number of things, a couple of which are: 1) Don't take going to class for granted, & 2) When it gets tough, take it one day at a time...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Hi Everyone :wavey:

A quick update: After going through some blues this month (from a combination of nasty weather & dealing with work & family stressors) I started physical therapy last Thursday (will go twice a week for 3 weeks then get re-evaluated). My foot & ankle seem to be responding well to it, which makes me feel better because it means that I'm a little closer to getting back to my regular training...there's "light at the end of the tunnel."

Hope everyone is doing well, especially my fellow injured MAers. This experience is teaching me a number of things, a couple of which are: 1) Don't take going to class for granted, & 2) When it gets tough, take it one day at a time...

Get better soon!

I know what you're going through because I had tendonitis once so bad that I had to stop drawing and painting for months. Really sucked! Fortunately I was able to spend the time studying art history and theory.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Gin! :wavey:

(((BIG HUGS))) for you sweetie. I hope your re-evaluation in three weeks goes well and I wish I could somehow help with your injury blues. I am sending good thoughts your way. Don't push yourself too hard too fast, let the injury heal well so that you can get back to class as soon as possible.

Lots of love,
Lisa

J

jbclinic

there's a lot of potions, etc. for injuries, but the best one is rest and light therapy until that bodt part can resume the stress in which one puts upon oneself

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good News--I was reexamined by my physical therapist last Tuesday & was cleared to go back to class (finally)! YIPPEE!!
party43.gif
biggrinbounce.gif

Went back to class on Thursday night; I was huffing & puffing & will have to wear ankle braces on both ankles for a while, but that's ok. The muscle memory was still there & I know that my endurance will come back in time. It felt so good to be back on the mat & practicing basics & techniques with everyone again.
smile.gif

Thanks again for the support; for those of you who are still nursing injuries out there, please feel free to stop by & let us know how you're doing.

Oss,
Gin-Gin
smileJap.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Good News--I was reexamined by my physical therapist last Tuesday & was cleared to go back to class (finally)! YIPPEE!!
party43.gif
biggrinbounce.gif

Went back to class on Thursday night; I was huffing & puffing & will have to wear ankle braces on both ankles for a while, but that's ok. The muscle memory was still there & I know that my endurance will come back in time. It felt so good to be back on the mat & practicing basics & techniques with everyone again.
smile.gif

Thanks again for the support; for those of you who are still nursing injuries out there, please feel free to stop by & let us know how you're doing.

Oss,
Gin-Gin
smileJap.gif

THAT SO TOTALLY ROCKS GIN!!!!

WHOOHOO!!

:partyon::partyon:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score