Father of Hapkido - GM Choi - video

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, thats a bummer, 65 views so far, and no comments.
Hopefully someone out there can translate that video.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've always been told that GM Ji Han-Jae is the founder of Hapkido...

I don't mean to poke a stick at a hornet's nest, but - without getting involved in the argument - what is the controversy there?

arsenius

White Belt
Reaction score
My wife is Korean. I asked her, and she said she could not understand at all what he was saying. The audio quality is too poor. Sorry folks!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always been told that GM Ji Han-Jae is the founder of Hapkido...

I don't mean to poke a stick at a hornet's nest, but - without getting involved in the argument - what is the controversy there?
Guess it depends on how you define 'founder.' Ji Han Jae certainly was a prime mover. Choi Yong Sul generally considered the founder so far as I know.

Daniel

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I've always been told that GM Ji Han-Jae is the founder of Hapkido...

I don't mean to poke a stick at a hornet's nest, but - without getting involved in the argument - what is the controversy there? "

This is his teacher.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be sure you understand what is being said; GM Choi is considered the founder of Hapkido, being the one who brought the techniques to Korea when he returned to his homeland from Japan, after WWII. It is unclear how much Hapkido is everything he learned there, and how much he may have added from Korean arts. Of course, I don't think that was even a controversy 30 years ago.

As I understand, Ji Han Jae is more credited with giving it the name Hapkido, as apparently that was not what GM Choi originally called it.

Now most of this is what I hear on this board. I don't recall my GM talking about all that. He just told me GM Choi was the founder of Hapkido, and he came to Korea from Japan after WWII.

If I have mis-stated anything, somebody please jump in and correct me.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hapkido underwent a number of name changes, and I have heard differing accounts regarding who used the name first.

Daniel

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
i find hapkido fascinating, so many fights over the name but the grandmaster choi seems like a cool defining person for the korean ma--i mean its important to remember that there would be no ji hapkido or whatever without choi,i read also of its(choishapkido) influences on hwarangdo/kuksulwon and many others so choi needs to be heard and see what he has to say about its all. we know what master ji and the others say and said.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think it depends on how you define Hapkido.

I can only define it as my Grand Master did, calling what he taught Hapkido, and crediting GM Choi as the founder of Hapkido. YMMV

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can only define it as my Grand Master did, calling what he taught Hapkido, and crediting GM Choi as the founder of Hapkido. YMMV

If your Hapkido has kicks in it, including but not limited to jumping spinning kicks, as well as dan bong, cane, staff, knife throwing, plate throwing, rock throwing, coin throwing, then you are learning GM Ji's Hapkido, and not necessarily GM Choi's Hapkido.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your Hapkido has kicks in it, including but not limited to jumping spinning kicks, as well as dan bong, cane, staff, knife throwing, plate throwing, rock throwing, coin throwing, then you are learning GM Ji's Hapkido, and not necessarily GM Choi's Hapkido.

Kicking yes, tan bon yes, sword (bamboo) yes. If there is any of the other, it is taught above 3d Dan, and I never saw it. But as I said, I will go with what my GM said.

If your GM has told you otherwise and you wish to go with that, I'm not going to argue it.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score

Hello all,

I have to interject as this is not really correct. Kicking was always part of what Choi Dojunim taught - right from the beginning. The only thing that Choi Dojunim did not teach was spinning/jumping kicks - not really in line with the intent of the art. All those other elements are directly from Choi Dojunim - Ji did not know them or add them!

Choi Dojunim is a Founder of Hapkido, most of what Ji "added" is not really in line with the style, but is nicer "window dressing". For those of you in the States, here is an analogy...Most of you know Billy Mays - he is the guy that put "oxyclean" on the map - he didn't create it at all, but he put it in a pretty package and sold it to a wider audience than the creator did...same with Hapkido. Choi Dojunim is the Founder, Ji moved to Seoul and re-packaged what he learned with some non-Hapkido material that he worked out with other Choi Dojunim students not living in Daegu.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions