FAO Scottish Martial Artists.

alcatraz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Bob Sykes, the editor of the UK Martial Arts publication, Martial Arts Illustrated (MAI), has given both myself and Scott McMillan (the TAGB Scotland Coach), the green light to try and improve and increase the Scottish content of MAI.

Both Scott and I feel that when articles appear in the Martial Arts press about events, such as those run by the TAGB, ISKA, WKA, or WKC etc. there is always an English bias or slant to the articles, and that the other three home nations only get mentioned briefly, if at all, as an afterthought.

We can't speak for Wales, Northern Ireland, or The Crown Dependencies (IOM & Channel Islands), but we can, through our extensive contacts gained over the years, give Martial Arts in Scotland more of a voice.

As Bob says, he can only include and print Scottish content if the content is contributed to him, and thus far, The Scottish voice has been, uncharacteristicaly, quiet.

We both also feel that often England and Great Britain/United Kingdom are used as interchangable terms, where a British Squad is often, in error, called an English Squad, or where a British Squad is called an English Squad.

The same goes for events.

Scott is obviously coming, and looking at things from a Taekwondo background due to his TAGB credentials, and I'll be looking at other arts and disciplines, although we plan to work closely on all reports, articles, and interviews.

We're going to be looking at 'grass roots' Scottish Martial Arts, as well as (hopefully) interviewing well known Scottish Martial Artists, and promoting and reporting on Scottish Martial Arts events.

So if you're involved in Martial Arts in Scotland, and have any thoughts or comments, I would love to hear from you.

All the best,

John.

Latest Discussions