The Drawback to the Family Atmosphere

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love my school, it really does have a family atmosphere. The drawback to that, it just dawned on me: Sibling Rivalry...
While I love my classmates and instructors, being like a family, at times, we get on each other's nerves.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting observation. I know what you are talking about.

This is the number 1 reason why the sempai and I have no contact outside of the dojo. We get along fine and are a great team. However, the dojo should always come first and I don't want to let any personal differences / issues get in the way of that. Especially since the sensei expects us (we're the senior students and have the same grade) to set the example for the rest to follow.

Additionally, a big part of the dojo experience is being able to leave all other things outside.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The upside: Sparring on Monday nights usually sorts out whatever happened since Thursday.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love my school, it really does have a family atmosphere. The drawback to that, it just dawned on me: Sibling Rivalry...
While I love my classmates and instructors, being like a family, at times, we get on each other's nerves.
However, in the studio, you get to beat up on your siblings without worrying about parental ramifications.:) LOL On a side note, I hope you aren't as political at the school as you are on this site. Here its fun to argue with you; there, I might brood and scheme.
Sean

Latest Discussions