Family and friends

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What techniques have you/would you use against family members or friends who got a little out of control? Maybe they are drunk, hotheaded, or something like that, and you needed to control them.

Personally, I've had to do this a few times and used wrist bends to great success.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fortunately I have never had to use anything against family members or friends. However like you if I needed to I would be looking for control oriented techniques with a little pain compliance.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fortunately, only when I'm training or playing with them. My family is pretty tight, so our "fights" never get physical. If something like that did get started, it would get broken up pretty darn quick.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My friends don't drink that much & rehab "took" in my family: so it's not an issue.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never had to use anything on family of friends but have thought about it. The first thing would be to talk them down, if that did not work controlled jujutsu techniques would be next, and finally the last straw would be actually trying to hurt them with actual strikes.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had to use anything on family of friends but have thought about it. The first thing would be to talk them down, if that did not work controlled jujutsu techniques would be next, and finally the last straw would be actually trying to hurt them with actual strikes.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Yes, my thoughts exactly!! Although talking to someone who is intoxicated may tend to be more difficult than someone who isn't, IMO, its still the best way to start off, progressing if need be.

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first thing I do is try to identify triggers and avoid them or use them carefully.

The second thing I do is talk the person down.

If these don't work and I'm attacked, I try to pin the person against a surface, either wall, bed or ground.

I've only had to do this with my oldest, autistic boy. The adults are better at warring with words and attitudes than physically.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is where I think something like BJJ or Judo newaza comes in REAL handy.

Many of the holds/pins can immobilize while doing NO damage. Some don't even cause any pain, really.

Even the good ol' "rear naked choke" (without cinching up to make them lose conciousness) may be a nice choice.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never had an issue like this with a family member, but I have friends that have had full out fights with their family members in my presence a couple of times. I still can't believe family members can get into it like that with each other, lol. But, I don't have brothers, so that could be the reason.

I've found that basic leverage techniques work wonders without seriously hurting the person.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
family never, but i used to have a friend that a good sock in the jaw used to do him a world of good. I haven't spoken to him for a while, because the frequency of his being out of control kept increasing. I got tired of having to physically ride herd on a friend, regardless of how old of friends we were.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What techniques have you/would you use against family members or friends who got a little out of control? Maybe they are drunk, hotheaded, or something like that, and you needed to control them.

Personally, I've had to do this a few times and used wrist bends to great success.
A good tap or press on the radial nerve is golden.
Sean

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good old loveable hug tends to take the fight out of most...
If this doesn`t work it is always O Soto Gari and RNC. Kote Mawashi or similar locks can be good for keeping people in their seat.
If they are not too big, you can always carry them off on your shoulder to cool off.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A good old loveable hug tends to take the fight out of most...
If this doesn`t work it is always O Soto Gari and RNC. Kote Mawashi or similar locks can be good for keeping people in their seat.
If they are not too big, you can always carry them off on your shoulder to cool off.

I like the "loveable hug approach", but for young women this is often not applicable. I have had only 1 experience like this.......I made my thoughts known on the situation and left my date. I did not have to respond with violence, thugh I did have to walk 3 miles to get home. If this occured now I would have had a cell phone to call my family for a ride.

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Usually after talking them down has failed joint manipulation/immobilization and pain compliance works wonders. Please, avoid putting good ol' uncle Frank (you know, we all have one, the one who drinks too much) on a chokehold, grandma will be reminding you of that for decades. Also, nerve strikes, especially with the finger tips work very good as attention-getters.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually after talking them down has failed joint manipulation/immobilization and pain compliance works wonders. Please, avoid putting good ol' uncle Frank (you know, we all have one, the one who drinks too much) on a chokehold, grandma will be reminding you of that for decades. Also, nerve strikes, especially with the finger tips work very good as attention-getters.

ROFL!! Good advice :D

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just take them aside to talk and make an attempt to reason with them, then I try to get him to be semi-rational and back under control. This approach usually shuts down the crazy erratic behavior before the cops get involved. Luckily I don't think I've had to resort to my MA or do any joint locks or choke outs, or even worse get my own *** kicked in those situations.

Latest Discussions